Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI+Tune ordered from Bama... Now Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI+Tune ordered from Bama... Now Questions

Herro-

So the CAI is ordered. Lovely. Excited. But now the question is which tune should I plan to use on a day to day basis? I drive "Spiritedly" 99% of the time... so Im thinking ill load the Race tune unless anyone thinks this will produce a strong negative side affect?

Also, while I love the box on the FRPP kit I ordered, that air hose still bugs me... is there anywhere you can get a more solid hose similar to the JLT or C&L kit?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Try them all, then decide. Each tune has it's own particular characteristics. I always recommend that you start out with a tank full of whatever octane your highest tune is but start out by taking a spirited drive on the STOCK tune with OE airbox, then load your lowest octane custom tune and repeat that spirited drive as closely as possible, then load the next tune and so forth. You'll find that different tunes behave differently in certain RPM ranges. I prefer my 89 octane tune over my 93 tune for normal driving conditions for it's improved low RPM response (where most of my driving is) compared to my 93 tune which is brutally powerful in the upper RPM ranges.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I ran the 91 race on a daily driver. I recommend burning through the rest of the gas in your tank, then burn through a full take of 91 or 93 (whichever octane the tune is) and then load the tune on the next tank. This will help reduce the chance of pinging or detonation.

Also get a tune for the current octane you have so you can load the tune and install the cai once you get it. Will take about 10 business days including shipping.

Even with the 5sp manual, the shifting was more aggressive and the car just took off. I pretty much had to learn to drive all over again.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Herro-

So the CAI is ordered. Lovely. Excited. But now the question is which tune should I plan to use on a day to day basis? I drive "Spiritedly" 99% of the time... so Im thinking ill load the Race tune unless anyone thinks this will produce a strong negative side affect?

Also, while I love the box on the FRPP kit I ordered, that air hose still bugs me... is there anywhere you can get a more solid hose similar to the JLT or C&L kit?

I punch 2nd and 3rd a few times a day
I went a different route, all three tunes are for 93 octane. I drove on race for several months, throttle response is tough; touchy pedal. Basically WOT = pedal 30% down. My wife drove my car and said she hit 4K rpms before leaving the light I recently went to 93 performance tune and like it better. I have never tried street so, I cannot comment on that. I read on here race tune does not hurt the car, just don't go changing your rev limiter as it's lower on race.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I tried the performance tune and the race tune. The race tune is MUCH, MUCH better and that is what I've been using for the last 4k miles. I have an auto trans and the race tune alters the shift points, keeping it in the higher RPM range and improves throttle response. FUN=RACE TUNE!

And as Nuke states above, it's better to try each one to really feel the differences and decide what best matches your driving style.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Well said gents

I ordered all 3 tunes at 91 (Highest octane available in my area) and ive been running 91 awhile so there shouldnt be anything but 91 in the tank

I guess Nuke is right. Should be a fun day Monday trying all the new tunes!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Yep. Have fun. You won't regret it
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Keep that dude in the trunk to, you never know when you may need it.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Congrad's, good choice on intake!
Just start filling up with 93 now and when the goodies get there, you will be ready for blastoff!
The main difference in race and performance tunes is the throttle control. You will find which is better for you!
Enjoy.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

I uploaded a AM 93 Race last night and it def pulled harder then my previous tune ( which was a dyno tune ) but it was too touchy for me for street, I was chirping the tires just acclerating, not even shifting. Swapped to the 93 Performance tune and so far I like it a lot, but it's pretty equal with my dyno tune. Here in a week or two Im get another dyno done, one with the 93 Performance, 93 Street and my dynotune to compare air/fuel rations and whatnot.

Quick Reply: CAI+Tune ordered from Bama... Now Questions