Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing key fob transmitter frequency

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Changing key fob transmitter frequency

Is it possible to change the key fob transmitter 'frequency'? I know you can mate a new/different transmitter (turn key off/on 8 times and press lock/unlock) but can you change the frequency of an existing one? I ask this because one of my transmitters was lost and I'd like to change the frequency on the spare w/o having to purchase a new key fob...if that's possible.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 PM
JimC

If you program the key fob it will delete the old one. So if you only have one and do just that one, the lost one will no longer work on your car.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That's what I thought. Just needed someone to confirm. I'm going to have the dealer reprogram the PATS key and cut me a new one (and a third spare!) but reprogramming the remaining key fob works for now.

Thanks JimC!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

i recently went through most of that with my flip key, it goes like this:

if you go through the fob programming sequence all previous ones will be deleted and you must program all units you want to work in that run.

for the keys themselves you need 2 working ones to add more.
however, previous keys will not be deleted by this process, i assume a dealer can actually delete previously memorized keys.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its not possable to change the 'frequency" as per FCC rules part9 sec12 par3.

As stated in the owners manual, the programming for the fobs is lost
when you enter fob programming mode. All fobs you desire to work
with the stang must be present and accounted for and used during
the fob programming procedure.

OK, here is what the Ford Workshop Manual states in section
501-14-30 Handles, Locks, Latches, and Entry Systems:

1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode,
via the RKE transmitter or the door lock control switch while the drivers door is open.

2. Turn the key from the OFF to the RUN position 8 times within 10 seconds, with
the eighth turn ending in the RUN position. If the module has successfully entered
program mode, it locks then unlocks all the doors.

And so on...

And as for the key programming...

Key Programming — Additional Key With One Programmed Key
NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs to have an additional key programmed into the vehicle without erasing stored key codes, but does not have 2 programmed keys available. This procedure is also useful when attempting to determine if an ignition key is defective, as a new key can be installed without erasing keys or without having 2 programmed keys available.
the only way to program another key with just 1 key is by plugging it in to the Worldwide Diagnostic System computer and reprogramming, this way it will not erase the code to your hidden key.

Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys
if you have to programmed keys available then you can program additional keys without taking it to the dealer.
NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed ignition keys are available and additional programmed key(s) are desired.

if you can find your hidden key you can program additional keys yourself and save about $110.00 for programming which is what our service department charges.

Insert a programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (attempt to start the vehicle).
If additional programmed key(s) are desired, repeat the key programming procedure.

Last edited by 157dB; 08-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.