Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Steeda 555-8120 HD strut mount Camber Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Help...Steeda 555-8120 HD strut mount Camber Adjustment?

Installing these soon to get rid of cupping in front from too much negative camber. I can't find anywhere the exact process for adjusting these for different camber.

Any help step by step would be appreciated. Installing them is no problem as I'm replacing the GT500 non-adjustables.
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There are two plates that can slide relative to each other when the nuts on the four mounting screws are loosened. There are a couple of points on each of the upper plates (which carry the strut shafts) that you can pry against through holes in the strut towers to move the strut. It's going to be pretty obvious what you need to do once you're putting it together.

If you're DIY'ing the camber adjustment, get set up on a area that you either know to be level or can make level by shimming under the low side tire(s). Otherwise you'll have to know what the side to side pavement slope is and correct your measurements accordingly.

Unless you have turn plates, you'll need to measure the camber that's there, unload the wheel so that you can adjust it without having to use a lot of force, roll the car back and forth (back to the original spots) and remeasure. Plan on having to run through this sequence at least twice and probably more. Then check and adjust toe, since changing camber will cause toe to shift slightly.

Norm
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
There are two plates that can slide relative to each other when the nuts on the four mounting screws are loosened. There are a couple of points on each of the upper plates (which carry the strut shafts) that you can pry against through holes in the strut towers to move the strut. It's going to be pretty obvious what you need to do once you're putting it together.

If you're DIY'ing the camber adjustment, get set up on a area that you either know to be level or can make level by shimming under the low side tire(s). Otherwise you'll have to know what the side to side pavement slope is and correct your measurements accordingly.

Unless you have turn plates, you'll need to measure the camber that's there, unload the wheel so that you can adjust it without having to use a lot of force, roll the car back and forth (back to the original spots) and remeasure. Plan on having to run through this sequence at least twice and probably more. Then check and adjust toe, since changing camber will cause toe to shift slightly.

Norm
Wow, thanks Norm. All I want to do is get rid of 1 degree of negative camber with the mount so when I take it to be aligned they can set at .3 or .4 degree negative. I thought this would be more straight forward. Seems odd Steeda doesn't even broach the subject in the manual.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Less than -0.5° camber is pretty mild, given that the OE preferred setting is -0.75°. Unless your cornering is normally very mild as well, or unless you are set up primarily for the dragstrip you might find that at -0.35-ish° the tire wear shifting toward being a little heavier on the outer shoulders of the front tires instead.

Cupping can also indicate wear in the steering and suspension that allows the wheel/tire to flop around a little, and I would think that you'd have felt a shimmy. Anything from the hub bearings to the tierods and struts themselves are possible origins (I see that you have run up more than just a few miles on that car).

Norm