Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just posted this on a Challenger forum, thought you guys would be interested too.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Default Just posted this on a Challenger forum, thought you guys would be interested too.

Challenger vs. Mustang observations

We have one of each in our family. For those who haven't experienced both I thought this might be interesting.

The Challenger of course feels more solid and feels like it rides better, thus making it a bit more comfortable. When you get on it, the power band feels more linear, it pulls steadily and evenly whereas the Mustang gives you what feels like a power boost when it gets above 4000 RPM or so.

Its easier to get the Mustang sideways banging into 2nd gear, possible due to the live rear axle? Its a lot easier to break the tires loose in general in the Mustang also. My 2010 GT will boil the tires from a standstill, and it breaks loose going into 3rd gear too. Anybody that's driven a Mustang knows the 1st to 2nd gear change can be downright dangerous due to the rear of the car kicking out so far.

I know the car magazines say the Mustang handles better and I believe it, but it makes you work for it. The Challenger seems to stick to the road easier, again possibly due to the independent rear suspension. The Challenger seems more "driver friendly", for lack of a better term.

For everyday use I'd probably opt for the Challenger. Its easier to get a kid in and out of the back, and its trunk is more usable. The ride is softer and good for carrying my mother in law who appreciates a comfy ride. That said, when I'm alone I much prefer the Mustang. It's more nimble and can zig zag through traffic on the freeway easier, I guess due to its smaller size.

I love the looks of both, but by a HUGE margin the Challenger gets more waves, thumbs ups, and "cool car" comments. That bright orange beast sitting in the parking lot is a real head turner!

Overall I love 'em both, but would probably choose the GT over the R/T. Of course my wife would choose the opposite, good thing the Mustang is mine and the Challenger is hers!

I love having the both in the family, I'd hate to see either one go.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Jealous. I actually tried my hardest to get my mom into a Challenger R/T last year, orange with black hood stripes, and unfortunately despite even offering to pick up $5K of the purchase she declined lol. I was pretty disappointed. That would've been amazing.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I see dark blue (almost like Kona) Challengers around from time to time. We always check eachother out

The mustang rear gets squerrely because it's lighter.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I really like the new Challengers. I am thinking about getting the new 2012 392 6.4 SRT-8!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

i'm quite happy that there are all these nice retro inspired american muscle cars back on everydays streets, affordable for many.
like mustangs (the 05-09 best), camaros, challengers (is that a hemi) and of course vettes.
not a big fan of the charger ) 2 doors to many imo.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

It's really great to see other good options out there for pony cars. Even though I'd buy a Mustang over a Challenger or Camaro any day, the better the competition gets, the better the Mustang will have to be to compete!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

I really like the overall looks of the Challengers, except for one small thing... They appear too tall and slab-sided. But then, all of the current "retro" muscle cars look that way, as compared to the '60s versions. The old cars had more glass area (or appeared to) and less door skin height. They looked lower. If the Challenger lost 3 inches of waistline, and gained an inch or so of glass, I'd be drooling for one.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Its easier to get the Mustang sideways banging into 2nd gear, possible due to the live rear axle?
That's part of it - an IRS does not load the LR tire and unload the RR tire in reaction to engine torque like all stick-axles do. Differences in axle and transmisison gearing and tire size also figure in.

I know the car magazines say the Mustang handles better and I believe it, but it makes you work for it. The Challenger seems to stick to the road easier, again possibly due to the independent rear suspension. The Challenger seems more "driver friendly", for lack of a better term.
Out toward the limits of tire grip, both cars will demand more of the driver. The softer-riding Challenger probably does have slightly better mechanical grip (greater stability) but is going to take a little longer to "take a set" once you're driving harder than most drivers do on the street (turn-in response), and the Challenger may be tuned to have more progressive breakaway characteristics anyway (you get a little more warning at some cost in peak behavior). But as long as you aren't cornering hard enough to feel the tires starting to drift a little, or cornering on choppy pavement, there won't be huge handling differences.

I love having the both in the family, I'd hate to see either one go.
Well said.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-22-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
That's part of it - an IRS does not load the LR tire and unload the RR tire in reaction to engine torque like all stick-axles do. Differences in axle and transmisison gearing and tire size also figure in.

Out toward the limits of tire grip, both cars will demand more of the driver. The softer-riding Challenger probably does have slightly better mechanical grip (greater stability) but is going to take a little longer to "take a set" once you're driving harder than most drivers do on the street (turn-in response), and the Challenger may be tuned to have more progressive breakaway characteristics anyway (you get a little more warning at some cost in peak behavior). But as long as you aren't cornering hard enough to feel the tires starting to drift a little, or cornering on choppy pavement, there won't be huge handling differences.

Well said.

Norm

the only thing that bugs me ( and excuse my french) about the 11+ challengers is dodge made a d*ck move when they encrypted the pcm. this means no tunes. therefore no superchargers, turbos or mods that require tunes are gonna fly. well unless dodge comes out with a factory kit.

can you say $$$
Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
. . . they encrypted the pcm. this means no tunes. therefore no superchargers, turbos or mods that require tunes are gonna fly. well unless dodge comes out with a factory kit.

can you say $$$
The sort of crap that can be done with the electronics is what may very well make my next car be a restomod/Pro-touring car. Think in terms of current performance levels with only the barest minimum of electronics necessary to run the EFI at all.

Norm

Quick Reply: Just posted this on a Challenger forum, thought you guys would be interested too.