Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn repositioning with CDC Chin/RTR Front

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
StreetGhost
2nd Gear Member

Default Horn repositioning with CDC Chin/RTR Front

Alright, I have had my RTR Front splitter on for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it.

However, today my horn went almost mute. It sounded muffled. So, I pulled it into the garage and took the splash guard off. Didn't really feel like messing around with it today but I just couldn't keep the horn sounding like that.

When you install a CDC Chin or the new RTR front spoiler (uses the CDC Chin), you have to turn the horn upside down and therefore the horn is pointed up towards the sky. No big deal, right? Wrong!

My horn was filled with water and I had to losen it and drain the water out today. So, I hooked it back up but turned it slightly to towards the front so it wouldn't be a "funnel" for water. That made it worse. It seems as if it isn't in the EXACT right position, it doesn't sound like a normal horn. I turned it as much as I can but I am worried that the water will keep going into the horn.

Any suggestions or what have you guys did to make this issue go away? Seems as if every car wash this might be an issue!

Please let me know what might work. I was thinking of trying to have a small plastic shield made but that will take some time and some thinking.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

wow.. thats crazy..

At first I was like.. turn the horn upside down for a chin spoiler what?!??! mine I didn't have to.. its up in the grille / radiator area...

Then I saw you have a 2010.. so okay.. maybe thats something you have to do with the new model.. but seriously? where is the horn installed on the new models? under the bumper & bumper cover?

Possible solution.. could you drill tiny holes at the bottom of the funnel of the horn near the base to allow for drainage?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

When I used to have my CDC I didnt move the horn at all when I installed and never had a problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

...get it fixed ASAP...there are soo many [insert noun that describes careless driver here] driving out there...you're gonna need it to avoid an accident, etc. Try turning back to stock configuration like grabber blue gt...
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
StreetGhost
2nd Gear Member

It is DIRECTLY in the way of the hole in the splitter that you could potentiall put a fog light in. The horn has to be turned upside down to get the splitter on.

If I could leave it, I would...
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thats weird.... mine fit perfect without any problems with the horn. Call american muscle and see what they say, or you could even try calling CDC themselves and see whats up with that. I installed mine without even owning the car for 24hrs lol so I knew nothing about moving the horn or anything, but I never had fitment problems or anything.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard2010
It is DIRECTLY in the way of the hole in the splitter that you could potentiall put a fog light in. The horn has to be turned upside down to get the splitter on.

If I could leave it, I would...
This bites...I hope there is a fix to this since I plan on getting the same chin/splitter assembly!!! I also wash my car every week, too...that horn is gonna get messed up!!!