Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thats what I am thinking. Just use the cats once a year for inspection, than just have the rear 02's turned off and be good until my inspection is up another year later. What if I used the cats, but put anti foulers on the 02 sensor, THAN put it in the cat. This way its pulling the 02 sensors a little more out of the airflow of the cat.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Just pass whoever's doing the inspection a couple bills under the table.

Isn't that how you solve all of life's little problems?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yes but new york plugs into an obdII port. It links all of my cars info on inspection right to the DMV. If I fail, the dmv knows about it and exactly why.

I was thinking what if I did the anti fouler trick with the cats?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Put in CATS, pass the test. I doubt you'd even need anti-foulers, but you could use them for good measure. The only thing you have different than stock, that will make any difference at idle, should be the headers. Your idle fuel shouldn't have changed since the blower bypasses boost at idle anyways.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I have long tubes with high flow cats too. I just load my emissions tune and drive for 50 miles, and it passes fine. They plug into the OBD port here too. It's only checking for a " system ready " indication. Brenspeed made me an emissions and race tune when they installed my Whipple.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Than why is Jim at JDM saying there is a good chance I will still throw a code with the cats?

I dont think JDM is willing to help me here. It seems that they just want me to throw the stock exhaust on so there are no problems with codes or anything. I was thinking maybe have them turn on the rear 02's on my email tune so I can test all of this before I go in for my dyno tune. Like as of right now keep the car as is and just get anti foulers, load the tune with the 02's on and drive around for a few days and see if I get any codes. If I do get a code, than I know I wont pass inspection that way and I should maybe try the cats with anti foulers and try the same thing.

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 08-25-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Probably to cover his butt just in case. Or probably because their tune is rich at idle? As the other poster mentioned, you may need an "emissions tune".
Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

How do I go about an emmisions tune now? I just emailed JDM and asked if they could send me my SAME EXACT email tune I have now just with the rear 02's turned on this was I can test a few things before I remove the headers. If the go through with it, I am going to first try using 2 anti foulers to pull the rear 02 out of the air flow and drive around for a few days and see if I get any codes. If I dont I am going to pass by an inspection station and see if my car would pass right than and there. If I throw a code (most likely be p0430) I know that isnt going to work and than maybe try the high flow cats with the anti foulers. If that doesnt work I am just going to have to remove the headers.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Thats what I am thinking. Just use the cats once a year for inspection, than just have the rear 02's turned off and be good until my inspection is up another year later. What if I used the cats, but put anti foulers on the 02 sensor, THAN put it in the cat. This way its pulling the 02 sensors a little more out of the airflow of the cat.
That's exactly what I've been telling you to do with the anti foulers.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

My emissions tune was just a tune that turned my 02's back on lol. So for me, it's my regular tune (now that Brenspeed fulfilled my original request).

Quick Reply: Any way to "cheat" inspection?