Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I had the reverse issue..I asked them about them being turned off and they told me they turn them off by default. So I put my O/R H pipe on and it kicked a code for rear o2..I had to pay $10 for a update tune to have the rear turned off.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Go to a broke *** shop and slip the guy an extra 50
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a laptop, although I would like to know how to be able to datalog, supposedly you can send the data to your tuner to have your tune tweaked.

I still think photoshopping inspection sticker is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Not sure how it is in NY, but here we don't get our inspections done by independent shops. The Department of Environmental Quality plugs in the car, runs the scan, and then passes the results on to the DMV. Hard to cheat that system.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Its not even that I can slip the guy money cause I definitely would instead of dealing with this crap. They hook up to the OBDII port and all info directly goes to the DMV. If you fail it wont print the sticker. The only way it prints the sticker is if your car passes. I can go down and see if maybe they could use another car and just put the sticker on mine but there is a barcode on top of the sticker and than it wont match my car
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Well I have been on this long debate on whether I should remove my headers or not, and Jim Jr. a JDM suggests it would be better to just put the stock system back on, as they have had problems even with metallic cats not passing. I am from new york and here they do a check through the OBDII port instead of a tail pipe sniffer. I am not sure 100% how this works, but I believe it checks to make sure all the 02 sensors are working properly and making sure your car isnt throwing any codes.... any suggestions on how to pass or even if I find someone to "help me out" will he actually be able to pass me?
Easiest way! Move your place of Residence to an area that doesn't do emissions checks!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Its not even that I can slip the guy money cause I definitely would instead of dealing with this crap. They hook up to the OBDII port and all info directly goes to the DMV. If you fail it wont print the sticker. The only way it prints the sticker is if your car passes. I can go down and see if maybe they could use another car and just put the sticker on mine but there is a barcode on top of the sticker and than it wont match my car
I used to live in Calif and back them they could hook it up to their machine and do a check before doing an actual test for the DMV.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
Or you can find a tuner that knows what they are doing(when it comes to this sort of thing, not saying Brenspeed isn't good, but this isn't a new issue).

I've been catless for 2 years and have passed MA inspection both times. It requires the OBDII readiness check as well.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
debit_free_2010

Originally Posted by 06stangGT

The surest way to prevent your failing for not ready O2 sensors is to have your tuner write them out of your tune.

I'm running an O/R X pipe and my I/M monitors are written out of my tune. When they plug the OBD2 reader in my catalyst status reads not supported and my inspection report sez passed.

Without cats you'll fail the visual so you'll need a shop that'll pass you and wont question why your monitors are NA.

The non fouler trick doesn't work as well on the S197 cars without making some tweaks to your tune to change O2 transport delay and heater duty cycle.

Quick Reply: Any way to "cheat" inspection?