Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from 5spd owners on my little idea.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default Need help from 5spd owners on my little idea.

My gearshifter surrounding began peeling and the middle slide would not stay in one piece after I glued it about three times. So i took the whole contraption out and now I am left with just the shifter itself. I had this idea of taking a leather shifter boot from a manual and fitting it over mine. The dimensions are 1 1/2 inches (roughly) by 1 1/4. Is there anyone kind enough to measure the diameter of the boot opening on the manual? I'm hoping it is somewhat close to where i could possibly fit it on my gearshifter without too much modding to the boot it self. I took some pictures to give you guys some idea of what I am working with now. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I think redline goods has a boot for the auto. check them out. If they do, problem solved.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eddypython
I think redline goods has a boot for the auto. check them out. If they do, problem solved.
Yes they do! Thanks! , but they have no picture for it, i wonder how it looks. Maybe someone will chime in that has one.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Never mind I did find the pictures, but I'm looking for something that is not that bulky. I will leave this option as my last resort though.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Fugly IMO.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The hole in the TR3650 shifter boot is about 1" round (that's inside diameter where the lip fits into a groove at the bottom of the **** itself). It is reinforced with a ring that is not particularly "stretchy", and it put up a little argument about being set back into the groove after I measured it. It's not less than 1", but could be just a little bigger. There wasn't much room to get a clear measurement without distorting it out of round.

The T5 sixxer tranny boot and the GT500 tranny boot may differ.

Norm
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible

Fugly IMO.
I agree, its too much, and thank you Norm, at least I have a starting point now. I know the ring you are talking about and will most likely have to remove it. I wonder if the boot varies between Gt, v6 and GT500 like you said. Maybe ill check out ford parts to see if there is a difference.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible

Fugly IMO.
Fugly X10
Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I checked ford parts and the shifter boot is the same part # across all platforms. Well for the GT500 I could not pick 6 speed for some reason so I'm not too sure about that. So looks like my only option left is to actually buy a shifter boot and try to make it fit. Maybe leaving it in the car all day at 100F temperatures will help me stretch it? Is there a good place to buy these besides ford parts? Ebay has some for good prices sometimes, but is there any other place?

Last edited by defiance; 08-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't count on interior heat do do much for you - after all, it's supposed to retain its size/shape in that kind of heat so it'll stay on its OE ****. If it didn't, there would be a huge number of complaints on this and other message boards about it.

I did think I saw a little cracking on the part of the ring that is not normally visible, though. Mine's working toward the end of its 4th summer. Black car, lives outdoors 24-7, though I do put up a reflective screen and crack the windows a little on the warmer days.

Norm

Quick Reply: Need help from 5spd owners on my little idea.