Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding your cars a crime?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM
The grey beast
2nd Gear Member

Well considering there is still several states that do not even do emissions test, or anything of that sort, even if this ever managed to come into affect, it is many years off, but it won't ever happen anyways, so no worries
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCmcV4gC_0
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Lol . . . what an ignorant comment.
Google Carb and see whose ignorant. its already happening, this is the first step. And until people like you pull your heads out of your ***, nothing will change.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
There won't ever be laws, there will just be economic incentives or disincentives so high that it makes it unfeasible to drive cars with massive displacement engines. There are already stricter MPG guidelines cars have to follow over time.

Of course modding won't ever be banned but restrictions will come along in order to abide by and avoid massive gas guzzling taxes or emissions regulation etc.
this is a large part of the reason ford and the other car markers are pushing so hard for EVs, hybrids, and diesel cars. the v8 will never die, take texas as an example where many trucks actually work for a lot of these folks. even though the ecoboost f150 is a mean machine you wont sell one to my uncle who is a cattleman. it's v8 or nothing for him.

many of the EVs and hybrids that are sold like the leaf, the volt, and the coming focus EV are not ever going to sell well. they are expensive, the evs are notorious for stranding folks even when they say they have power to go and so on. But since CAFE is fleet wide average, that 99mpg an EV gets will let you have your V8 trucks and muscle cars. this is also a big reason why you see ford and Toyota and others teaming up on hybrid systems. they all know the hybrid for the foreseeable future will not be a big seller, gas is still too cheap and the savings are not that great. but they can share the costs of development to get the cars into their fleets and increase their fuel average.

we will also see our normal stangs get things like stop/start systems and cylinder deactivation. those two things would tweak the economy enough to make the stang more efficient

Last edited by ShaneM; 08-27-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
when I bought my car the dealer made me sign an agreement that I would not mod the exhaust system...
To that, or the government trying to form an opinion about what I can and cannot do to MY car, I just say...

"Do you make the car payments? No. Until you pay for it for me, shut the f*ck up".

Can't imagine where anyone gets off thinking they can tell someone else what they can or cannot do with their hard earned money. When I get my money for free and my car and home handed to me, they can have an opinion, MAYBE. Until then,

Last edited by OhEightGT; 08-28-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:25 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance772
Can you imagine in a dim dark future that it would be a crime to mod your cars. Half the people on this forum would die.
Imagine how bad the economy would be then? How many billions are spent a year on aftermarket parts, generating income for the gov on taxes.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
this is a large part of the reason ford and the other car markers are pushing so hard for EVs, hybrids, and diesel cars. the v8 will never die, take texas as an example where many trucks actually work for a lot of these folks. even though the ecoboost f150 is a mean machine you wont sell one to my uncle who is a cattleman. it's v8 or nothing for him.

many of the EVs and hybrids that are sold like the leaf, the volt, and the coming focus EV are not ever going to sell well. they are expensive, the evs are notorious for stranding folks even when they say they have power to go and so on. But since CAFE is fleet wide average, that 99mpg an EV gets will let you have your V8 trucks and muscle cars. this is also a big reason why you see ford and Toyota and others teaming up on hybrid systems. they all know the hybrid for the foreseeable future will not be a big seller, gas is still too cheap and the savings are not that great. but they can share the costs of development to get the cars into their fleets and increase their fuel average.

we will also see our normal stangs get things like stop/start systems and cylinder deactivation. those two things would tweak the economy enough to make the stang more efficient
Agreed. Even though gas is expensive to us compared to the past, its still alot cheaper to have a gas vehicle over an electric one.