Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random topic: Has anyone come from a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus to a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default Random topic: Has anyone come from a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus to a Mustang?

Just curious. I know that a lot of people have left their fancy BMW's and Mercedes for the newer Mustangs ever since the 2005's came out. People who swore up and down that they'd never EVER hop into a Ford....suddenly left their precious Audi for a V8 Mustang. For those who have, what made you switch? Is the Mustang far worse comfortable and smooth than your luxury car? Is there a level of disappointment that you went from a higher class car to a car that is everywhere on the road?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I haven't switched over, but I was talking to my friend about it the other day. He has a 2009 3 series and I have my GT, and first of all of course my car can out pace his any day of the week and he paid the same if not more for his car lol.

But aside from that, I was telling him how I wouldn't want a performance luxury car all that much anyway, if anything I'd get something that still feels like a true performance car, not luxury. I don't want dampening that takes the feeling away from the road, I don't want steering and AWD so that I can be a race car driver without having any talent, and I don't want to have to push the tach past 4K rpm to feel my engine pulling hard.

There are wonderful things about luxury performance cars but I don't want that. I want my bumpy racey ride, I want seats that feel nice but not like I'm in a floating lazy boy, and I want my engine loud enough in the cabin that it's near obnoxious. I could see owning a Merc one day just as a family sedan or something (I hate BMW), but I wouldn't be able to afford or want to afford a performance luxury vehicle.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

My friend went from a 90s lexus to a 2003 GT. Unsurprisingly, it was a big upgrade.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

My mom has a Benz and my dad has a Lexus, so I drive them pretty regularly. The interior quality is faaaarrr better than mine but they have no character/excitement IMO. It would be nice to have one as a DD but not as a 'fun' car. Plus parts/labor/maintenance is pricey compared to mine
Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I've had three BMWs, three Benzs, two Audis, five Saabs, two Lotus, a single Porsche misc others and few Fords and Chevys.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM
j_marinelli

I came from an Infiniti G35. Its really hard to compare with my mustang. My mustang is base with clothe seats and normaly radio, and the G35 was leather, navi, bluetooth, etc...

I will say I got more attention in the G35 but still doesnt compare to the V8 power. This is my second Mustang (first was a 2000). Ford has come along way since then.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Good topic.
I've always wondered why eurosnobs keep dissing the Mustang, or american cars in general, comparing them to their "superior" european cars. I've never been in an euro car to compare my mustang to, so maybe they know something I don't. But I bet most of them just want to justify their overpriced cars.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

My dad gave me his (06ish?) audi a6 back in high school. Before I got my mustang or camry. I liked it, had a LOT of bells and whistles and honestly was kinda fun considering the v6 had some punch to it- and somewhat of an exhaust note to boot.

I don't think I was a "snob" but I never saw fit to compare a sports car to what I had at the time- 2 different models/purposes/attributes. But I do miss the small gadgetry and occasionally the cushy ride that seemed to filter out the bad roads nicely. But to be fair, whenever I saw those kids with the RX8s and mustangs I would feel a pang of curiosity towards what I might be missing lol.

I didn't consider it a precious car, but nor did I get into a GT afterwards lol. Although the v6 in the audi had more hp than my v6 I was surprised at how much lighter the stang was- and how much that actually helped with acceleration and handling.

Overall, the audi seemed to play it's civilized parental/adult role nicely and the mustang was almost like that crazy red-head you dated back in college.

Idk about you guys- but I'll stick with the redhead
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Default Lexus to Mustang

Before I bought my 05 mustang (GT) I drove a lexus gs400 as my daily driver. I still have it but since I own both I really notice the differences in some of the amenities, quality, drivability, and attention getting. The lexus is more luxurious with the navigation, interior parts (not all plastic). My lexus was a 4.0 v8 and was pretty quick. On the highway it really picked up but it wasnt stock either (ate 350z's and g35's for breakfasts..hehe) . The stang has more pep and would definitely take the lexus off the line. Stock these cars are very comparable in hp and torque numbers but the lex is a sedan and heavier. A big difference would be the attention I get. The mustang, (I have a complete saleen body kit and its black) can not be compared to the lexus, and I even have the lexus souped up. I always get the thumbs up form other stang owners, something that I have found to be non existent amongst lexus owners, altohugh it could be where I live. There are a lot of lexus' in the Los Angeles/Alhambra, CA area. I guess that comraderie is there but not the same as for muscle/american cars or bikes for that matter. My friend has a c6 vette they are always giving the peace sign or the thumbs up. I can go on forever about going foreign to a stang. Just wanted to give a few of my experiences.

I am past due for a formal introduction in the appropriate thread. It will happen when I clean the stang and take some good pictures.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

Default Porsche to Bullitt via 350Z....

I'm an old geezer and went from an '04 Boxster to an '08 350Z to a Bullitt with 9 k miles on it.

Left Porsche because 2 of 3 cars had engine failures!! The 350 Z was fine but the engine sounded very rough at high rpms and had NO real luggage space.

I absolutely feel great in the '08 Bullitt and have not enjoyed a car as much as this in the last 30 years. Yes, Really!!

Quick Reply: Random topic: Has anyone come from a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus to a Mustang?