Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Diff Leak (a.k.a. - why FoMoCo is loosing a customer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Originally Posted by Gidyupp
Nope, it's "normal" operation, I was cornering too fast.

They were on the 3rd time at bat repairing the fuel sender, they threw every part they had at it that time. They couldn't figure a way to claim that running out of fuel at a third tank was normal.
i know that after a certain number of repair attempts for the SAME problem lemon law goes into effect. consult a lemon law attorney and tell him/her what happened. be sure to mention the multiple repair attempts for the same issue. cant hurt to ask.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
It's hard to use the lemon law when Ford can say what is and isnt a problem. For example burning oil so fast that you'd run out of oil before you could regularly change the oil, is clearly a problem with an engine....yet Ford doesn't believe so, so you're just sorta shafted there.

Sucks to hear what you're going through. These horror stories honestly get me paranoid from time to time. I'm glad to say I haven't had any problems with my '11 but I feel for you, your situation would just be a real pain.

I also find it funny that people are coming in here acting entirely unsympathetic lol. "Oh well, sucks, take a massive loss on resale and move on". Think of how it would feel if your car had some serious issues that Ford was telling you to eat the cost of, only a year after purchase. Let the man be unhappy, he deserves to be.
I completely agree with you, but there are jerks everywhere including this forum, who have not empathy toward your fellow forum members.

I would suggest that you go up the Ford corporate ladder and write to the Regional Manager or whatever title Ford has for the guy. Make your noise heard at Ford. Many times dealers are no help in issues like these.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Gidyupp
So to sum up my experience with this car:

Car runs out of fuel at 1/3 tank remaining - a dozen round trips to the dealer to fix.
Tranny shifts like crap - "normal"
Tranny has 1/4 turn of slop at the tailshaft - "normal"
Engine burns a quart of oil every 1K miles - "normal"
Diff belches fluid - "normal for 2011, but we can sell you a part to fix that if you would like"
Uselessness of Ford customer service - "priceless"
Hi Gidyupp,

It is beneficial the engineer discovered oil consumption test was within specifications, and they were able to resolve your fuel gauge concern, with no other issues found. If you would like to discuss this further, I can arrange for you to be contacted again. Please PM me to let me know. I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

~Natasha
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Gidyupp,

It is beneficial the engineer discovered oil consumption test was within specifications
~Natasha
Where is the benefit? I was not going to have the consumption test performed as I was told that my level of consumption was "normal". Customer service pressed me to have it done, insinuating that perhaps there might be some remedy offered, but we had to start with the test. I agreed and wasted two more service appointments at the dealership just to be told "sorry, that's normal consumption, nothing we can do". Within specifications? No personal offense intended Natasha, but Fords "specification" of 1 quart per 500 miles is a joke. Would you be happy if that was your car?

Hi Gidyupp,

they were able to resolve your fuel gauge concern, with no other issues found.

~Natasha
"Resolved" with somewhere north of 12 round trips to the dealer and 100 plus miles added to the clock just so they could run the fuel down to witness the problem (apparently this car is siphon proof).

As for the transmission issues, again, your definition of normal and mine don't jive, but I guess we just need to "agree to disagree".

As for the differential leak; humor me and take off the corporate hat for a moment and tell me if this makes sense to you: The issue has existed since '05 (give or take), it was obviously recognized as a problem because a TSB was issued. For 2011/12, the same axle with the same problem vent is still being installed, yet due to a clerical issue/error where the TSB still says through 2010 model, you are not going to help out a customer. It confounds me as to why there is no one in customer service who could (actually "would' as I know someone "could") look at this and make it go away in the name of common sense. I guess the other scenario is that Ford has made a conscious decision to not offer a solution for this problem going forward.

I understand the rationale for using the cheap vent when most people would never have an issue, but when the minority does, step up and deal with it without hassle. The people who would uncover this shortcoming are likely the Mustang enthusiast and your most savvy (and vocal) customers, the ones you should want to keep happy so they can keep waving the Ford colors.

Thoughts?

Hi Gidyupp,
If you would like to discuss this further, I can arrange for you to be contacted again. Please PM me to let me know. I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

~Natasha
I hope you had a wonderful weekend as well.
I do appreciate the positive PR value of you being active on public enthusiast forums, but the in the end, if no help is offered in private, it's just the corporate spin machine at work and you are wasting our time.

The last time I went the PM route, I had a call within 6 hours (impressive!) but in the end was still stonewalled.
You have the details of the differential issue, it's not complicated and the dealer has seen the leaking oil. If you intend to offer help then say so, otherwise I have no interest in the service department dog-and-pony show, I'll fab my own catch can.

Regards.

Last edited by Gidyupp; 09-07-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: kant spel rite
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Ya know a good attorney? You may be to the point where legal action is you only hope. I had problems with an '06. I had some problems occur over and over again while under warranty and the Ford corporate customer service people were worthless. You call, then you're told someone will call you back, you wait and wait and wait, nobody ever calls you back. You call again, you wait....no "customer service" ever actually takes place when you have a real problem that they don't know how to (or don't want to) fix. After multiple trips to the dealership I ran into a buddy who sold cars at the same dealership and just traded the car in while it was in getting more repairs. I would say get a lawyer, or go to another dealership a few towns away, where they don't know your mechanical problems and trade the car in.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Just to add one more bit of data - it seems the TSB to fix (catch) the differential oil leak doesn't even work very well: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...eaky-axle.html
Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like a dealer issue and/or service advisor issue more than anything.

There are 3 dealerships within a 15 mile radius of where I live. One I will NEVER EVER EVER vist again (Earnhardt Ford - Suck **** thieves/liars) and I always warn people about them. One is OK and if I'm in a bind I will visit...if I have to. THe third one I take both my Ford's too (San Tan Ford) and have never had any issues with them, even on stuff that is within their judgement to call.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
Ya know a good attorney? You may be to the point where legal action is you only hope. I had problems with an '06. I had some problems occur over and over again while under warranty and the Ford corporate customer service people were worthless. You call, then you're told someone will call you back, you wait and wait and wait, nobody ever calls you back. You call again, you wait....no "customer service" ever actually takes place when you have a real problem that they don't know how to (or don't want to) fix. After multiple trips to the dealership I ran into a buddy who sold cars at the same dealership and just traded the car in while it was in getting more repairs. I would say get a lawyer, or go to another dealership a few towns away, where they don't know your mechanical problems and trade the car in.
Not to sound like a smart @ss here, but did you try an attorney? Attorneys are expensive and I couldn't imagine one (especially a good one) that would waste their time on a case like this.

I just don't understand some people on these automotive forums are quick to recommend an attorney without actually sharing their own experiences with an attorney...costs in particular.

Small claims is more like it...but Ford would probably send their attorney to court...and I'm willing to bet that Ford has some pretty good attorneys on retainer.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like your problems are many, and the diff leak is just the icing on the cake. And that sucks. You sound very reasonable and aren't being treated well, that much is evident.

The good news/bad news is that the TSB fix for your axle won't truly fix it anyway if you track your car. Good news being that you shouldn't bother spending that $46 or taking time to dick with Ford about getting it handled for free. I know this because I have the 'fix' on my 2010, which I just paid for to avoid having to make a service appointment etc. I deemed my time worth more than $46 for two hours of my life and the potential for a tech to screw something up on my car.

For $120 from LMR plus the price of a plug for the axle (plus the price of diff fluid), you can get the Boss rear diff cover that relocates the vent to the top of the diff cover instead of the axle. I'm hoping this fixes the issue entirely, and logically it should. Many have success with catch cans as well, but I just like the diff cover route better.

At any rate, good luck with the rest; just thought I'd throw that out there in case you decided to keep it.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

That's why I asked do you KNOW a good lawyer? I'm talking someone you know personally who would get involved a for minimal fee. Also as I said, I ended up trading the car before resolving the problems, so I didn't have to go that route. Sometimes a simple letter from a lawyer will change the other parties attitude completely. Last year I had an issue with an insurance company. After several attempts I could not get any answer at all, I called a lawyer I know personally, he simply sent a letter, the issue was resolved by the next day. Everybody should try to have a lawyer friend, it can come in handy.(they aren't' all money grubbing scum sucking ambulance chasers.)

Quick Reply: 2011 Diff Leak (a.k.a. - why FoMoCo is loosing a customer)