Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which of these options easiest to install later on 11/12 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 PM
StevenStarke

Default Which of these options easiest to install later on 11/12 GT

I'm thinking of picking up a 11/12 GT. I'd like Nav, brembos, 3.73 rear, and projector headlights (with hid's). But I'll take a base model gt 6spd if I can always add alot of that stuff later. So please correct me if I'm wrong:

Nav - I can just buy this and it will be plug and play if I have the shaker 500 system? Wich would mean I had to have a premium car. I don't think ford wired non nav cars different. Usually it's the same plug.

Brembos - these I can just bolt on so I'm not too crazy about these but it seems most 6spd GT's have these anyway?

3.73 rear - This can be bolted in later but its not an expensive option from the dealer. Worth trying to get from the factory or bolt in later?

Projector headlights - this requires premium too but I'm sure I could pop these into a base car and then just buy an aftermarket HID kit. Both cars are probabl wired the same anyway where the oems hid's would work but I wouldnt care if I had to buy a kit for $60.

Any insight is greal appreciated!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

A lot of what you said was kind of confusing to me, but I am going to try and help out.

The navigation on the 2010-2012's is something that cannot be added in after. Yes, anything can be done but the wiring for the 2 systems (base vs nav) is totally different and you would be spending thousands to have this all done afterwards.

Yes the OEM projector (hid) headlamps can be added afterwards, but I believe that is another ridiculously over expensive thing to add on. I forget how much they were but I remember seeing a set of oem hid headlamps on ebay and they were VERY expensive. I am personally happy with my standard headlamps and just aftermarket HID kits in both the fogs and heads.

Brembos IMHO would be a great thing to have if the car came with them, but if you dont plan on tracking the car is it really necessary? My car is a DD and will never see a road racing course which is why I am not going to upgrade my brakes. But if my car did come with them I would in no way be complaining, but dont base your purchase on brembos if you dont race. Yes they can be added but I believe its around $1200.

Now for the 3.73 gear ratio. I always remember my father saying "nothing fits like stock", and now that I have modded the hell out of my car I realize he is right. My car came with 3.31's and my second mod was adding the 4.10s. Long story short, when I buy my next stang it WILL have 3.73's from the factory!! I have never had a problem with my aftermarket install and the shop that I had mine done at did a great job, but its also hard to find a really good shop to do it, and they can potentially eff up your car if its not dont right.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:49 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Buy one with the nav and the HIDs. The other stuff is relatively easy to do.

1) The nav requires a different harness, antennae, programming from the dealer, etc.
2) The (factory) HID is a pain in the *** to install, and very expensive. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 AM
StevenStarke

Ok, Thank you both for the insight. I know tha a nav equipped car has to at least have the shaker 500 stereo system so I figured that if you had that system without the nav it would be the same harness. That's alot of other newer cars work. Usually they don't wire a car multiple different ways because it will be cost effective to have the least amount of harnesses. They already have to wire base model and shaker cars differently so being that all nav cars come with shaker systems, the nav cars (one would think) should have the same wiring as all shaker equipped cars. But maybe the mustang is different.

I prefer to have the brembos. I've had many cars with brembos and I like them. I will most likely be adding some sort of forced induction to the car and I use my stuff for everything its worth so I want them. I may very well track it but even if I don't, they are something I want.

I wa hoping I'd find a set of headlights with the projectors on eBay or something kfor under $800. If I could find them even without ballasts then I could just use an aftermarket hid kit. Can i use a d2r style kit in the stock halogen housings, yea, but again I prefer to have the projectors.

It looks like I need to find a 6spd brembo car with hid's and 3.73's. If it has nav then bonus but worst case maybe that will just be the one pain in the *** thing I tackle. I don't want to buy brand new and I'd like to get a white, red, blue or black car with no stripes so I know it's going to be a tall order. Out of everything I can deal without the nav the most. I plan on really going nuts with the car over a few years time.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

If I remember correctly the 3.73's are what, a $300 option? No more than $500 I think. Any shop will run you close to $500 for gears plus install (around me anyways) and you run the risk of whine. Get factory 3.73's for sure.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

You cannot add Nav to a Non-Nav car ... The Nav also includes dual zone climate control. Several parts under the dash are different. It has been attempted by a company that specializes in OEM Car radio repair and retrofit and they say it cannot be done. At least not without a complete donor wreck to swap over all of the necessary parts, controls and sensors.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
If I remember correctly the 3.73's are what, a $300 option? No more than $500 I think. Any shop will run you close to $500 for gears plus install (around me anyways) and you run the risk of whine. Get factory 3.73's for sure.
Yes $300 option.FRRP 3.73 gears run $140,i think install wouldn't be more than $300,so I'd say closer to $500 total for install.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
Yes $300 option.FRRP 3.73 gears run $140,i think install wouldn't be more than $300,so I'd say closer to $500 total for install.
So my point stands, from the factory it is cheaper and won't wine.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
So my point stands, from the factory it is cheaper and won't wine.
I agree 100%
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Gears - quite easy, relatively speaking, to add in afterward, and the cheapest option to do so. The downside is, it's very easy to jack up the install and have a gear whine forever. There is trigonometry involved, so if you flunked that class, you might just want to get it from the factory.

Brembos - Easy to add in after the fact, but the cost to you will be orders of magnitude higher than getting it from the factory. You're looking at about ~$3k all said and done after labor (if you don't do it yourself). Big brake kits are not cheap.

HIDs - Technically, should be easy to retrofit (all you need is the housings, the bulbs, and the ballasts), but the cost of OEM HID housings is jaw-droppingly expensive. You can run after-market housings which are significantly cheaper, but are of much lower quality and light output. The factory HIDs are a surprisingly good setup. I know this; I have them in my car.

Nav - if your car didn't come with it, it's not going to. Period. Many people have thrown excessively large amounts of cash at the problem, and have gotten nowhere. The differences between a Nav car and a non-Nav car are enormous, electrically speaking. It's nowhere near as simple as a center cluster swap. Nearly every component has to be reprogrammed, and several have to be added (and reprogrammed), and there is no wiring for those several components. Ford decided the difference between the two setups was so great that it warranted separate wiring harnesses.

Out of all the options you can get with the car, by far the most cost-effective ones are the gears and the Brembos. This is why most cars you'll see on lots have those two options, and little else.

I know the Nav is a huge chunk of change, but I'm honestly not sure I could live without mine. It's amazing. I love it.

Of course, I got every option with mine (including the glass roof), so I'm kind of spoiled.

Quick Reply: Which of these options easiest to install later on 11/12 GT