Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default New Mustang Question

Hello, I asked this question in the new members section and was advised to bring it to the tech area. I just bought a 2012 Grabber Blue Mustang V6 and I was curious if there are any specifics to be careful with on a new mustang. And what I mean is when I bought a Ford Edge I was advised to take it easy on the engine until after passing the 1000 miles mark, and some even suggested changing the oil at that point as well. So I'm wondering since this is my first Mustang ever (and sporty type car too), are there any pitfalls to beware of in a new Mustang or things I should look out for? Is there anything to be cautious with on the new engine? Any advice here would be amazing, and thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

You will get many different opinions on engine break in, some say baby it, some say drive it how you normally would, I personally say beat on it a little. Run it through the rpms in every gear (well as much as you can, obviously it would be tough to wind out 5th and 6th lol) and have fun.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

As this is your first sporty car, take it easy on the gas on take offs. I went from an I4 Ranger to the 07 v6 I have now and I was spinning the tires for the first couple of weeks due to the differences in clutches and increase in low end torque. I was also taking corners a little too fast than what I should've been doing because the handling made me a little more confident.

What should you look out for? Your own naivety in the first couple of months haha
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I had always heard to run the engine a bit harder than usual, but then reading different sites there were many different opinions. Running the engine is more fun, and I certainly am more inclined to take that approach, but as my first mustang i have this nagging feeling to baby it and take care of it as much as possible. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
As this is your first sporty car, take it easy on the gas on take offs. I went from an I4 Ranger to the 07 v6 I have now and I was spinning the tires for the first couple of weeks due to the differences in clutches and increase in low end torque. I was also taking corners a little too fast than what I should've been doing because the handling made me a little more confident.

What should you look out for? Your own naivety in the first couple of months haha
it honestly sounds like you know me, haha. i'm going from a 2007 Ford Fusion 3.0L V6. its was a balanced car, but if i couple my lust for launching through corners and dumping the clutch towards the end of a turn i might find a negative outcome for my mustang. i live in a suburban/urban area, but my folks live out in the countryside. sounds like i'll have to baby it in my daily work commute and enjoy being aggressive in the 8 to 20 mile straight aways that my folks have surrounding their house. that or i can take it out to the local race track/drag strip out here in Dayton, OH.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
it honestly sounds like you know me, haha. i'm going from a 2007 Ford Fusion 3.0L V6. its was a balanced car, but if i couple my lust for launching through corners and dumping the clutch towards the end of a turn i might find a negative outcome for my mustang. i live in a suburban/urban area, but my folks live out in the countryside. sounds like i'll have to baby it in my daily work commute and enjoy being aggressive in the 8 to 20 mile straight aways that my folks have surrounding their house. that or i can take it out to the local race track/drag strip out here in Dayton, OH.
I'd say don't go racing it or anything until past 500 miles, these engines are practically broken in from the factory but I just like to be safe and not do anything really crazy for 500 miles, not like 500 miles even takes all that long to pass by.

Still, drive it as you normally would, run it up through the RPM range once in a while, but personally I wouldn't go redlining it right at the beginning. Other than that, enjoy it! Be safe but have fun
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Good read right here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

My first car was a 2011 Mustang V6 and I drove it normally, with the occasional WOT run, and changed the oil for the first time around the 3000 mile mark. Ran fine for the 8 months I owned it.

Traded that in for a 2012 Mustang GT and drove it out of the dealership like I stole it, flooring it on every clear straight away I had, averaging around 12 mpg. This lasted a few days cause I would take my friends and family for a spin, but then began driving in a more civilized manner doing a mix of street and highway driving to vary the rpm range. Oh, and I changed the oil at 5000 miles. Runs fine.

For me and you, having a 2011+ Mustang V6 as a first car that's fast, I learned to adapt to the handling and power the car put out by gradually testing the limits of the vehicle such as increasing speed going into a corner and accelerating out of it.

Congrats on the car, be safe, have fun, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by goodfun_gt; 09-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

wow, thanks for all the info here! i can't tell you how helpful that will be when i take the car off the lot for its first romp in the world. great stuff!