Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss 302 in "World's Greatest Drag Race"

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Owen67
1st Gear Member

I'd still rather have the Boss lol
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Ah, the good ole' GTR, what a beast. AWD twin turbo, 0-60 in 3ish seconds My absolute dream car. I need to graduate college and make more money.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

because of the price and HP/TQ of the other cars in the race, why didn't they go GT500? GT500KR? Expensive yes, but compared to the others, nah...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
DrewStang4.6

Originally Posted by highline
because of the price and HP/TQ of the other cars in the race, why didn't they go GT500? GT500KR? Expensive yes, but compared to the others, nah...
Agreed, I still can't figure out why they chose the Boss over the GT500. I mean it was a drag race, what better to do that than with a 500+ hp Shelby (not that I don't love the Boss).
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The reason for the selection of cars is this: Motor Trend is doing their annual "Best Drivers Car" edition. These are the cars that were selected and tested. This was just a "fun" thing they did, you know, because they could, because they had all the cars there and thought - what the F, lets drag them. Its not a serious test.

By the way, the Boss had very high praise from their test driver - Randy Pobst (multi champion in world challenge, Grand Am, etc). The fact that the magazine editors even included a <50K Mustang in a "drivers car" comparison with a nearly 300K Ferrari says something about just how good it is.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
Cool video, I'd like to see how it does in a track race with those cars.
While they don't race wheel to wheel, each is one is taken around Laguna Seca, with Randy Pobst for evaluation and a lap time.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_drivers_car/

And for all that don't think 8th out of 11 in a playful little drag race with supercars is good. It did rank 5th overall in the drivers car test, not too shabby.
And as Argonaut said even to be picked was an honor.

And as far as the GT-R goes, I quote my 4 favorite lines from the article.

"Climbing out of the Nissan and into the 458 Italia on our road loop was eye-popping. Compared with the Ferrari, the GT-R rides like a garbage truck. Everything is harsh, uncomfortable, and rackety. The 458 feels polished, cozy, almost relaxed."
If you can't guess the 458 is my dream car bar none.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
The reason for the selection of cars is this: Motor Trend is doing their annual "Best Drivers Car" edition. These are the cars that were selected and tested. This was just a "fun" thing they did, you know, because they could, because they had all the cars there and thought - what the F, lets drag them. Its not a serious test.

By the way, the Boss had very high praise from their test driver - Randy Pobst (multi champion in world challenge, Grand Am, etc). The fact that the magazine editors even included a <50K Mustang in a "drivers car" comparison with a nearly 300K Ferrari says something about just how good it is.
A more correct statement has never been uttered.

If I could own a well-built piece of American engineering for pennies on the GT-R, 458, LFA, etc etc dollar, then I would absolutely ****** up a Boss. Ford is working their way up there with the big boys. However, don't expect a second rendition of a Ford GT-esque supercar soon. With the way the economy keeps dragging ***, I'm sure the supercar industry is hurting just a wee-bit.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't cost that much money to make a car go fast. But a fast car is not by definition a good car.

Take the F458 vs. the GT-R, for example. I've had the unparalleled honor and pleasure to drive both of those cars. Yes, the GT-R is faster in a straight line, and might damn well be faster in the corners, but let me tell you, that is where the GT-R's advantage ends, and it falls off a cliff after that.

Driving the F458 is, honestly, the closest thing to having wild sex with Jessica Alba as you can get without having sex, much less with Jessica Alba. The steering is incredible - just unbelievably tactile. It feels like I'm pushing and pulling the tie rods with my own hands.

The acceleration might not be as breathtaking as the GT-Rs, but it's orders of magnitude more rewarding. Hearing that glorious V8 belting Rigoletto behind you is intoxicating, but it only lasts until you pull the right paddle on the manettino; the shift is so ungodly quick and abrupt that if you're not ready for its violence you'll pee your pants. I posted the video of me driving said F458; look for my head banging on the 3-4 upshift.

And that braking! The one I had was equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes - the harder I used them, the more stopping power they had. They had anti-fade. I was honestly not prepared for the things this car could do, which is why I brake so early in the first few laps. Well - I say early; they would've landed me in the tire wall on another car. It just got better from there.

I don't have video of driving the GT-R (it was a friend's), but while it was FAST AS ****, I honestly felt like I was driving a very realistic PS3 game. The steering was numb and overboosted. The car didn't really react to my throttle inputs so much as it did begrudgingly acknowledge them. The interface was pretty slick, and I had a bunch of fun seeing how high I could peg the G meters, but I felt like a little box at the top right of the windshield should've popped up saying I got a trophy for it at the end.

You wanna know what the funniest thing is? The only car I've driven that has steering anything close to what that F458's was like is... my '12 GT in Sport mode. Still not the same, but it's a lot closer than most cars on the road today.

[youtube]ikkNMaK0ZUE[/youtube]

I'd take the F458 over the GT-R any day of the week.

Last edited by hawkeye18; 09-16-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

You are a very lucky man, that looked like lots of fun.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Dang, you are one lucky **** driving that 458. Was that with one of those Ultimate Driving groups, i.e. pay a boatload to drive awesome cars on track? Worth every penny I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 in "World's Greatest Drag Race"