Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big of a engine can your fit?? Hello to everyone

Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM
TCdakota

Default How big of a engine can your fit?? Hello to everyone

Hello to everyone, when it comes to the stangs I am a big noob to them, just enough to turn on the ignition. But since I first saw them come out in 2005 I wanted to buy one, that was 6 years ago. So heres my question how big of a engine can you fit in one of these things even when you cut the inner fender and move the firewall how big, cause you the sayin.
"no replacement to displacement."
The second question is, what is the selling price in general for a 2005 and or newer v8 standard mustang everything can be stock besides thoughs 2 things second hand or new don't matter where either.
Now if your wondering where I come from and how big of a newb I am. I live in alberta, where all the money at, and not a big truck fan which is a suprise around here. The new mustang always fancy me, yet a drive a 92 dodge dakota which I customize myself. "Yes I know the devil company" I was thinking of doing even more mods on it like throwing a 5.9L in it, and or spend about 7G to build a custom hemi in it probably a 5.7 but if I go that far I should try and squeeze a 6.1L. "Very hard". but this truck is the first ever car I owned and tell ya what I want a mustang. So hello to everyone and please help me answer some of these questions.
Thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

try craigslist, auto trader. papers, car lot........ 10-20,000 seems about right. how big do you want to go? how much money do you have? just do a gt 500 5.4 swap.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TCdakota
Hello to everyone, when it comes to the stangs I am a big noob to them, just enough to turn on the ignition. But since I first saw them come out in 2005 I wanted to buy one, that was 6 years ago. So heres my question how big of a engine can you fit in one of these things even when you cut the inner fender and move the firewall how big, cause you the sayin.
There is a gentleman on another forum with a 572 cubic inch engine in his.

"no replacement to displacement.".
to paraphrase sqidd: Yes there is...it's called boost.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I honestly don't know why someone would want to add all of the weight of a big old school engine, when you can get more power and performance that you need from an aluminum block 5.4
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

"no replacement to displacement."
To be honest, there is a massive replacement for displacement: That is technology. Better head design, valve configuration and placement in the combustion chamber, better intake manifold designs, better exhaust design, better cat design, better muffler design, electronic fuel injection, electronic spark advancing and retarding, electronically controlled cam advancing and retarding, and most of all, computer control of all this make small blocks today pump out just as much power of 7 Liter big blocks of the 60s and 70s.

For example, the Chrysler Hemi 426 (7L) was rated at around 425 or 426 BHP crank and 425 ft-lbf crank. Chevy's LS3 6.2L in the Camaro SS pumps out similar at the crank.

And as Bigstick said, forced induction does wonders. The 5.4L in the '11 & '12 GT500 pumps out 550 BHP crank and over 500 ft-lbf crank straight from the factory. That is more than the massive 426 7L pushrod Hemi of the 60s & 70s pumped out. You had to mod that Hemi to get similar numbers.
Also, the Camaro ZL1's LSA engine with the Eaton-lobes 1.9L supercharger will be rated at 570-580 BHP crank.
And in response, the '13 Shelby GT500 will also upgrade to the Eaton-lobes over the Whipple lobes and make a push for 600 BHP crank.
Also, a guy modded his GT500 to compound boost it: he added twin Hellion turbos in front of his stock Whipple supercharger and got around 1000 horrsepower!!!!!

Both the Condor 5.4L and the LS3/LSA engines are considerably smaller in displacement than the 426 7L Hemi, and they outperform it.

NOW, I would love to see technology slapped onto a big block. Get rid of pusrods. They are so inflexible and cause you to waste fuel without and power gains where you need it: in the low end RPM ranges for that all too needed lust for torque for that massively powerful take-off from a dead stop. Go DOHC with independent cam phasing. I like Chrysler's idea of twin spark plugs per cylinder, so use that and space them out for a more complete burn.
Go multi-valve for more efficient fluid flow to take in more fresh fuel-air charges and to scavenge exhaust gasses more completely. Go variable valve lift to supplement variable cam phasing. Go variable length intake for low RPM torque increases and short length for high RPM power to hold onto that torque like white on rice. And of course, go with computer controlled engine management to maximize power given all the technology.
I bet you could make an 8L monster with all this tech pump out approaching towards 1000BHP crank, and that only naturally aspirated.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You can easily go 800+ cubic inches.

Then again, you can make over 3000hp with about a 500" engine, so it all depends on what you want.

But all of the horsepower in the world is useless without traction. That's when you need UPR Products suspension and sticky tires.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:02 AM
TCdakota

Thanks for all the info, I haven't yet got me a mustang to work on, or haven't even test driven one yet to see if they spin out easy on there own. Like what UPRSharad said about the traction idk how well they are, but isn't there the technology to help with the big blocks of the world. I live in the boonies here and its kinda hard to find people to know how to tune the pcm and all the electronics in the car. Even for the dakota I am driving they switched it to a fuel injected system and thats pretty hard to figure out how to tune and thats old school version. So is it pretty easy to tune the engine management system? To bigstick how can and where can I see the post of the 9.4L engine? lol and I can make about the money in one winter if I go work the rigs. I am a big country guy and they like us cause we have been already ingrained to do physical labor unlike city ppl around here. "Not meaning to insult city people, you guys got lots of cool stuff like malls, paved roads, and city chicks."
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Since you are out in the woods, of course going without all that electronic crap makes A bit of sense. But check with your federal and provincial laws first to see if you can go without emissions controls. Engines without that crap are way easier to work on and build up.

If you want to drop in a big block, say a 460, you wil need a new k member for the engine mounts. A k member is for sure necessary because the stock k member and mounts fit only the modulars, not the pushrod big blocks. I do nit know for sure but I think even if you buy a 502 crate pushrod big block, the k member for that could also be different than that for the 460.

I do not know if the stock trannies
Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 PM
TCdakota

Thanks I took off my catalytic converter on my truck and she drives rich. Around here there isn't a big issue on how fuel efficient you are just you can't have a straight pipe on it. My truck is very loud and a lot of cops think I am running striaghts on her but realistically I have two mufflers to keep the noise down.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
I honestly don't know why someone would want to add all of the weight of a big old school engine, when you can get more power and performance that you need from an aluminum block 5.4
+1. I understand the unfamiliarity of the technology in these cars, but they are really not as complex and scary as some of the old school guys think. Yes there is more to it with them than just slapping parts on and starting it, but it really isn't complex and for someone with internet access and basic mechanical know-how, a tuner from a place like American Muscle, it's really not bad. For the immense amount of money, time, and headache you'll have putting a old school type engine in one of these cars, you could set up forced induction on the stock motor/driveline and push 500-600HP pretty easily, likely for a fraction of the cost, and certainly with much less headache. It will be completely practical to drive, too, unlike if you go all out with some big old school motor set up to make the same power. Like was already said.. The replacement for displacement is modern technology. You can make these cars insane and keep them perfectly practical to drive every day, for much less time, money, headache, far more reliability, practicality, and just as much if not even more fun. I suppose you lose the ability to say "hey man my car has a ____ cubic inch carbureted big block" but in a day where a 4.6 or 5.4 liter engine can be competitive with or even put them to shame for far less money, time, and a lot more reliability, honestly who cares? Unless you're building an all out track car, that's a different story, and in that sense practicality/reliability are not a concern anyway.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 09-18-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How big of a engine can your fit?? Hello to everyone