Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Glad nothing happened OP! That could have been bad.
But its a lesson learned, I bet you'll never do it again.
Haha. When it rains I'm not going that way! Lol. That's for sure! But yeah, it happened before actually.. same place too. Apparently I didn't learn it too well after the first time.

I wonder what would have happened if you sped up to finish the pass.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
Haha. When it rains I'm not going that way! Lol. That's for sure! But yeah, it happened before actually.. same place too. Apparently I didn't learn it too well after the first time.

I wonder what would have happened if you sped up to finish the pass.
Haha yeah I had a close call or 2 before that one.
I would have hit the other car, because I had just come out from behind the other car. That would have SUCKED.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Back last winter lived off campus and it was a good 20 minute drive to get there, on a 3 lane highway... Not the smartest decision but anyway, normal winter morning with light snow, and we had an ice advisory (like always lol).

I was driving slow and steady, white knuckled on the entry ramp and as I began to merge (slight turning of the steering wheel) into the right lane of the highway I saw a Cadillac CTS coming up on me fast (I was already in my lane) and he changes lanes to pass me. He passes me- almost fully sideways and it looks like he was struggling with the car to get it straight again, about 3-4 seconds later he is spinning in the OTHER direction because he over corrected and at this point I'm slowing down and his headlights are facing me. When he finally came to rest, his momentum had carried him straight into a snow bank (those big ditches on the side of highways in the midwest fill up with snow fast) on the right side of the road when he was originally in the middle lane, he effectively spun 180 degrees through 2+1(emergency lane) lanes.

He had only himself to blame, then as I was shaking my head and deciding to stop to help him I hit a HUGE patch of black ice and at 50ish MPH feeling my back end slide out was awful. I corrected, but only after my butt hole had permanently clenched itself shut. I couldn't even stop fully if I wanted to on those pirellis since I doubted I could get moving again without fishtailing all over the highway...

Snow tires were my greatest investment by far.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frodostang
Similar story to Lem-06-

Heading north on I-95 in a snow/ice storm. Going up a slight hill I feel the car start to slide on me. Luckily I'm in the right lane, and can turn into the skid. I think I went aroung 270 degrees, and ended up facing south on the north bound shoulder, looking at the guard rail in my rear view. Luckily there weren't too many other fools out at that time and I was able to pull back around and head off.

Interestingly, this was also in a 240SX.
Basically if it's not bone dry. Be wary in the 240. Lol
Hoping my GT stands up alitle better. Probably gonna invest in some snow tires this winter. W ky can have it's bad moments in winter
Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Most RWD vehicles are known to be dangerous and vulnerable in snow/ice conditions, especially 240's.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Yea. That's why I've always heard of the 240 being an excellent drift car. Light in the rear easy to throw it out. However as a DD and with snow/rain and a slightly gung-ho teenager driving = trouble
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I'll give you guys another one about my Pirellis. So by my house, there is a road, "OH315" that becomes a highway. Before that though, it is a twisty road alongside the local river (also the one I crashed on). There is a road that crosses it, and on either side of the river is a very steep incline in the road. Well last winter it snowed a few inches and was icy, and I was trying to go home from a movie and hanging out with my friends well after midnight. Without thinking, I took THAT road, and when I tried to make it up the steep incline, I started sliding backwards, and ended up sideways at the bottom of the hill, with several cars stopped around me. I threw it in reverse and went ***-backwards down the bridge until I could turn around. If there had been someone behind me, man, could have been nasty.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

My closest call was just the other day after it rained, wasn't wet much just damp and I also hate cutting people off so I stomped on it pulling out of an intersection and it fishtailed, but luckily it isn't the first time I have done that, so I controlled it well and was not too nervous once I didn't see blue lights haha
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Frodostang

Originally Posted by Lem-06
Yea. That's why I've always heard of the 240 being an excellent drift car. Light in the rear easy to throw it out. However as a DD and with snow/rain and a slightly gung-ho teenager driving = trouble
DD- check
Snow/rain - check
Gung-ho teenager - nope (LOL)

Guess that's what saved me.
13 years driving that car in central Virginia (rain/snow/sleet) and that was the only time I lost it. Always kept a little extra weight in the rear in winter, and understood the 240SX to be fairly evenly weighted F/R, like the original Z. Loved to do curvy roads in that!
I did meet up with that 'slightly gung-ho teenager driving', tho - when he rear ended me and totaled my car.
7 years later, I've got my '11 V6 MCA, and I'm loving driving again.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm definitely glad I'm not the only one that has had an experience like this. Lol. I feel like an idiot that can't drive when it happens.

MustangFirstCar - It takes some talent to be able to do that in a split seconds notice. Have you considered stunt driving? Lol.

keep'em coming people