Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I raise my exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default How do I raise my exhaust tips?

I just washed my new car and noticed that one side of the aftermarket Ford Racing Axle Back exhaust is lower than the other side. These have metal like rod things welded to them and those ends go into these rubber parts under the car. How can I raise them to make them more even?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I've made mine go different heights by loosening the bolt that connects them to the pipes, then just wiggling it until it's at the appropriate height, if that makes sense. lol.
You can also try sliding the muffler back and forth in the hanger (the rubbery part) and that will sometimes change the height.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Change the position of the rear support bracket. Raising it is a little more tricky than lowering it. The brackets are not always made to the same precision, so that one may be off a little. If it's all the way up to the frame, then your only option is to bend the muffler hanger rod to make it go higher. Or lower the other side to even it out!

You could try swapping the 2 rear hanger brackets to see if it makes a difference.

The hanger rubber is not exactly very stout, either. I put some stiff rubber inside the hangers to reduce the amount the rods would sag and bounce around. You might need something similar, to keep the muffler rod higher up in the mounting bracket.

To get a muffler lower, using spacers and shifting the hanger lower, the muffler will lower as well. Of course bending the rods also works.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Loosen the clamps on the exhaust as well as at the H-pipe. That gives you more play in the position of the tailpipes. If I remember correctly, it took me several attempts to get things lined up properly. Just take your time, try not to get too frustrated and you should be able to get them centered.

If all else fails take it to a muffler shop!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I know on my pype bombs that the driver's side lowers itself all the time due to a crap exhaust clamp...

That being said all it takes is me going under there every so often, loosening the clamp, pushing it all the way up on the over-axle pipe while angling it up by pushing on the bottom of the tip and twisting a bit, then tighten.

Looks perfect for about 2 weeks depending on how much I drive it, then starts to lower itself and **** me off lol

If you can't adjust it enough through there, move to the midpipe!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

BINGO what kput said. There's a write-up in Tacobill's How-To on installing the FRPP Stingers that applies to ANY axleback and he discusses how to center the tips in the rear bumper cutouts. Just loosen the midpipe and axleback clamps and wiggle until you get the orientation you want. It's best to have 2 people when making the adjustments.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
BINGO what kput said. There's a write-up in Tacobill's How-To on installing the FRPP Stingers that applies to ANY axleback and he discusses how to center the tips in the rear bumper cutouts. Just loosen the midpipe and axleback clamps and wiggle until you get the orientation you want. It's best to have 2 people when making the adjustments.
I just used my knees to hold one end and my hands to move the other.
ahaha.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Loosen pipe clamps, bend rods and retighten
pipe clamps to OEM torque specs or
you will be doing this again and again.