Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check if it's an original Shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

It's a nice car,obviously he has a lot of work in it,why would anyone care what it is or what he calls his car.Sorry but i don't get all the hate people dish out on other peoples cars.
Good luck in your investigation i guess,not sure what your gonna do with the info,pass out flyers,take out an ad?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Just get the VIN and pull up the window sticker. Here is mine

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...FT80N975297310

Or go here for even more info on the VIN

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1ZVFT80N975297310

thanks man,
everytime i see that link posted anywhere to pull up the orig ford window sticker i try it and it doesn't come up for mine. i'm just a bit too late, i'm pretty sure it shows only 5 years back.
BUT, your other link worked, good to have the info. happy,
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edcologne
thanks man,
everytime i see that link posted anywhere to pull up the orig ford window sticker i try it and it doesn't come up for mine. i'm just a bit too late, i'm pretty sure it shows only 5 years back.
BUT, your other link worked, good to have the info. happy,
In addition to the build details, were you able to get your window sticker from the second web site I posted? Glad to have helped.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't think I've ever seen a Shelby GT in any other color but black or white - but guess it is one of those things we never see around here!

And yeah, if he is passing this off as a GT500 at meets, then it is simply a mis-badged GT. If you find a Shelby badge plaque on it look at it carefully because that is probably a fake.

What fender badges does it have? The Shelby "powered by Ford" badge if very specific looking. It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture but it looks like he has a snake on it. The Shelby GT didn't have a snake, just the small "powered by Ford". So if he tries to say he took it off - ask him how much he sold it for since the official Shelby badges have been going for $200+ on Ebay and anyone who has one would know that.
wow did not know they went for that much
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
It's a nice car,obviously he has a lot of work in it,why would anyone care what it is or what he calls his car.Sorry but i don't get all the hate people dish out on other peoples cars.
Good luck in your investigation i guess,not sure what your gonna do with the info,pass out flyers,take out an ad?
Mis-badged mustangs are not very accepted around here, I kind of agree with that but for my own reasons. Most people don't like it because you are essentially representing (let's say hypothetically I put GT badges on my car) a different performance class without the performance increase.

Nobody like's a liar though. And this guy is clearly making stuff up, he should just tell people what the car is and take credit for a front conversion- a true car guy will respect him more for the wrench time then lying about having a GT500 (no offense).
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

+1000000000

Don't be a liar!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 AM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
In addition to the build details, were you able to get your window sticker from the second web site I posted? Glad to have helped.
wasn't sure at first what you're asking, then i opened up your link again and noticed it had the option for a window sticker. my vin lookup did not give me that option guess its going through the same sourcing?!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

LOTS of misinformation here!
the 2007 SGT was in black and white, coupes only.

The Vista Blue Shelby GT was only produced for the 2008 model year. Check the VIN for an 8 before the 5 and the next 6 digits.
There were also Grabber Orange and black with red stripe models that year only. And convertible black SGTs will be rare 2008 Barrett-Jacksons.
And I just remembered - the Hertz rental cars came in black with gold stripes. Coupes in 2006 and convertibles in 2007.

Also, there are many owners of Shelby GTs who modify their car. Insane, I know, but that just makes mine more valuable.
He could theoretically have replaced all the stuff that we usually would look for, like the regular steering wheel, 18" bullitt rims, or even the badges.
Quite frankly, that looks like a regular Mustang with a GT 500 front end and aftermarket hood. Looks like he ran out of money and couldn't afford aftermarket rims!

Last edited by Orion_240; 09-30-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 AM
JimC

Thanks for the clarification Orion on the color availability.

So if this car is anything but an '08 it can't be a Shelby.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
wow did not know they went for that much
Yep! They used to come with Astroglide but since the recession, you' have to do without it.

Quick Reply: How to check if it's an original Shelby?