Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*New Member* Ordered a 06 GT for my birthday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM
hspg

Default *New Member* Ordered a 06 GT for my birthday...

Hey Everyone,

I ran across this site looking for information on the 06 GT. Anyway I ordered a 06 GT premium, legend lime, tan leather seats, automatic, wheel locking kits, alarm system, 17 inch american racing look-alike wheels for my birthday in November. Good present to myself huh?.....lol

I've got a million questions I want to ask so hopefully some of yall can help me.

1st question - The 06 GT comes with Goodyear P235/55/17/ZR tires. The only thing I know about Z rated tires are that they are suppose to withstand speeds of over 100 mph for an extended period of time and that they cost 200 bucks a piece. If I changed to a normal tire that wasnt Z rated could I really tell the difference in the ride?

2nd question - Whats the ordering process like from the dealer? As of right now, its gone extremely smooth. They said I can expect my car in 6 to 8 weeks and I'll be able to get a VIN number in a couple of weeks. Has there been any delays in the line lately...like running out of automatic transmissions or some crap like that? Is it going to take the full 8 weeks to get here or should I expect it sooner? Guess that depends on if there are any delays......lol Anyway you know what I mean.

3rd question - Is there any werid **** thats going wrong with the 06 GT models. I was reading a post about the check engine light comming on and the engine dieing after only 50 miles. Thats going to be upseting if it happens to me.

4th question - I got the 6 cd / mp3 radio. Do all 6 of the cd's get fed through the dash or is there a box someone that the rest get fed into? I also heard that the automatic GT would do the same quarter-mile that the standard GT would do because of the gear ratio the automatic has.... I'm thinking this is a lie?

Anyway this will tide me over for now....Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: *New Member* Ordered a 06 GT for my birthday...

congratulations on your purchase.

You really don't need Z rated tires unless you are sustaining very high speeds. An H rated tire would be plenty. The ride will depend entirely on the tire itself but generally the higher the speed rating, the harder the tire is, so the lower rated ones will ride softer. Again, I would like to stress that it depends on the tire. Ask the tire retailer about the specific characteristics of the tire you want. In fact, you should tell them what you want and they will be able to help you select the right tire for you.

I don't know of any really significant problems with the new cars but I will let someone else answer that LOL. If your six pack CD player is like mine, all the CDs go in one slot.

As far as the quarter mile time goes, I wouldn't expect to see much difference at all between the auto and manual cars. As usual, nobody seems to agree. I have heard anywhere from 13.6 - 14.2 for the same damn cars. I did however, watch a guy run 13.8x all night long in a manual with only a CAI and tuner.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
MyFirstPony
1st Gear Member

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY... What a Birthay Present!

Yes... you can go with lower rated tires... but I wouldn't go lower then an H. I stick with Z for the safety factor.
The 05's came with Pirelli Tires - - I wonder why they switched to Good year.

Call your dealer.. get the Dealers Number.. and your order number... then call 800-962-3746 to get "status" on your car...

Once you get a VIN.. you can go to Blueoval and ask Kzintito pull you from the production system and find out where your car stands.

HERE is a link that explains the ordering / shipping / production process...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...=priority+code

GOOD LUCK

Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
hspg

So to get technical what makes a GT a GT. I heard that the motor that is in a GT is the same motor that is in a light duty F-150. Is this true? Surely the GT motor has aluminum heads of something like that. Oh and I was just guessing that the 2006 comes with Goodyears, Im not certain.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 06:21 PM
RedHot05GT
1st Gear Member

As far as the tires go, the 17s are not that expensive. TireRack.com has the exact 2005 GT OEM Pirelli tires for $117 which is pretty cheap for a good Z-rated tire.

My friend's new Inifiniti has 19" wheels and those tires are $277!!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:37 PM
05 mach 1

I took my car in for sevice today and I seen a car about like what you ordered on the lot and for sale in Fishers IN .
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Johnnytuinals
2nd Gear Member

If you don't get a VIN# in a month i would cancel and look for another dealer with the car on the lot.....JohnnyT
Old 09-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

hey johhny, Ill reply over here too, lol

Small dealer took my Xplan order, and I was serialized about a month after 06 production started. Too bad there no all like that.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Johnnytuinals
2nd Gear Member

Very Happy for you,,,,Most small dealers will not get any Gts in but will get V6s.......You are one of the lucky ones with getting it at X-Plan........Hope you will have lots of fun with it,,,,I am afraid driving mine,don't want to get any dirt on it lol..JohnnyT

Quick Reply: *New Member* Ordered a 06 GT for my birthday...