Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car isn't making the power it should (Could this be why?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Default Car isn't making the power it should (Could this be why?)

My car isn't making the power it should be... so far my best run is a 12.796 @ 108.91 mph. The 60 ft time was good for 18" all season tires... 1.994

These are stock 2011 5.0 times... and worse MPH than the 5.0. I think it also starts to lose steam on the top end because the other night a Challenger R/T was keeping even/barely pulling on me.

The car has full exhaust, Novi 2200 Super Charger, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Spohn LCAs...

I am trying to figure out what is causing the lack of power. I think I have it narrowed down to a few possible issues:

1) Improper Boost-a-pump set up. When I turn the key on (without turning the engine over) I can hear it making a buzzing noise so it seems to be getting power. The wire in the pic below I think is related to the boost-a-pump but not sure. The guy who tuned my car says he doesn't like to hook it up because it makes the car buck/surge or something like that.

2) Bad tuning
3) Bad supercharger head unit (it makes a clicking noise... some on the forum said their units make the same noise)
4) Some other issue with the supercharger install

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by gburke1; 10-05-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
My car isn't making the power it should be... so far my best run is a 12.796 @ 108.91 mph. The 60 ft time was good for 18" all season tires... 1.994

These are stock 2011 5.0 times... and worse MPH than the 5.0. I think it also starts to lose steam on the top end because the other night a Challenger R/T was keeping even/barely pulling on me.

The car has full exhaust, Novi 2200 Super Charger, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Spohn LCAs...

I am trying to figure out what is causing the lack of power. I think I have it narrowed down to a few possible issues:

1) Improper Boost-a-pump set up (I think the wire in the pic has something to do with the boost a pump according to some local techs...)
2) Bad tuning
3) Bad supercharger head unit (it makes a clicking noise... some on the forum said their units make the same noise)
4) Some other issue with the supercharger install
I doubt there is anything wrong with the headunit.... I remember seeing the video!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Note the red & blue wire hanging out in the open
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

No theres nothing wrong with the wires. If those are the wires for the BAP, its showing that he connected the black and red wires together like they should be which bypasses the BAP to be on ALL THE TIME and not just when in boost. Almost all tuners have you wire it this way, your tuner just decided to bring it all the way up to the engine compartment lol. Most people just tie the wires together and leave it in the trunk.

I hate to say it, but could it be something internal with this car? I mean are you making the correct boost? Correct fuel pressure? Whats your air/fuel? Whats your fuel pump duty cycle? Does your car ever run HOT?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

My tuner said the car is making the boost. I am not sure about a/f etc.

I don't think the car is running hot according to the temp gauge it always stays at half once it warms up
Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

maybe you should get some dyno time.
see what the graph says.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

do a datalog run. check your iat's and your timing. my vortech was feeling weak too. turns out my iat's were 185 degree and timing was at aboout 8. added 4-5 degree of timing and pulls like hell now.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Are you running a custom tune? If you're running a canned or mail order tune, did they know that you have the FRPP manifold?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

It was a dyno tune. The same people that tuned the car installed the manifold.

The car didn't have the power before the manifold either. I took it to the track and the times were slightly worse than yesterday's probably due to the hot weather
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I know we kinda discussed this last year, the power issues. Your dyno was less than 350rwhp due to the valves in the intake plenum not opening all the way. That got fixed and you were closer to 450. Your 1/4 times are not much slower than mine. And the Challenger race you experienced is near the expected outcome. That he was gaining on you, but that you feel as though you are running out of steam. In mine, hitting 4th gear, acceleration slows down noticeably over 3rd. The combination of lower rpms with maybe 2psi less boost than peak (mine peaked at 11.5 on the Procharger tune), 3.31 gearing, and aerodynamics takes a toll at 100mph. I raced a G8 GXP or GTP, whatever one has the 6.2L in it was a dead even race....Until 4th gear, when he proceeded to pull on me. His was modded, yes, but not much: headers, exh, int, and tuning. My total lack of experience and experimentation at the drag strip, having only 4 passes during 2 visits netted me a best of 12.64 at 109. 500hp does not give impressive results in these cars until you change things to take advantage of that power. Our automatics would benefit greatly from a higher stall, and 3.73 gears. Things would change drastically with those two items. Of course then, some sticky tires would be very necessary. I had 460rwhp on Prochargers Mustang dyno, and 487 on the same dynojet you used last year with Ryan. My only mods over stock that effect power are the blower, shorty headers, and 3" Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I dont have the FRPP intake, but would love to try it out.

My run in the 1/4, you can hear the tires break loose before shifting into 2nd. lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvZBffRp7hU

The guy you saw last year name is Ryan, take the time and money and let him get some readings from a dyno pull, and make some adjustments if necessary. 660-4162
If your using MC, understand that they call Ryan all the time for help. justsayin

Last edited by SCCAGT; 10-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Car isn't making the power it should (Could this be why?)