Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats going on with these 5.0s??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default whats going on with these 5.0s??

Just logged onto facebook and a friend of mine took his car into the dealer this morning due to a CEL, and just got a call that he has detonation in 3 cylinders!!!!!! This is something nobody wants to hear with 11k miles on their new car, and to make things worse his friend brought his car in last week with the same issue. All he had was a magnaflow catback and a bama tune. The tranny issues SOME are having, plus now this?? Whats going on with these cars
Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Will the tune effect the warranty?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM
imsonastie
2nd Gear Member

im sure it will. hopefull he gets it fixed. what was it doing anyway that made him take it to the dealer. like the symptoms sort of speak?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

the only thing i can think of is that the 5.0 is a new engine compared to the 05-10 mustangs and its going to show some defects as in it hasnt been completely perfected yet.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM
5.0Racer
1st Gear Member

Was all of this happening after the mods? May need a different tune? Could the tuner be the issue?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Not sure if the tune will affect the warranty, since he put the stock tune back in before he brought it to the dealer. And he has had the tune for a few months now with no issues until now. He got a CEL which made him bring it in, and he said they called a little while ago saying he has detonation in 3 cylinders. He has a BAMA tune, and his friend has a different tune which he didnt mention where he got it from. They both were running custom tunes though, so maybe this is why?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I would say its somewhat foolish to buy a first year car as I have never done that but the craze gets many. Just like another said. Give ford a chance to work it out in the next year or two and then buy that model. Although it does suck for the customers that are having the issues but lets be honest its a new engine and these sort of things happen.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Crossing my fingers for that never to happen to my ride lol. I have to say though all of the reports of detonation while running tunes do have me concerned. I actually decided to remove my custom tune a while back because of being nervous, for me, I simply can't afford to replace an engine because I feel like pulling a few extra ponies out of my car.

I'm hoping there ends up being some answer as to why this happens to one day people can tune their cars and run it without any fears.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I agree with you pdonket. When I first got my 2010 the first upgrade I did besides my chin spoiler was an intake and tune, and never had a problem with bama tunes for as long as I used them. Also I never worried about the car 1 bit when I had a bama tune.

I hope they get this sorted out, cause it would suck if you cant tune your 5.0 because of all this
Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

There is a reason most of us never buy the first year of a new model. They usually come plagued with all sorts of gremlins.

Quick Reply: whats going on with these 5.0s??