Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice for New Mustang Owner, Brembo, Ordering

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
CoffeeGuy

Default Buying Advice for New Mustang Owner, Brembo, Ordering

Hi All -

Thanks for having me, this looks like a great forum. Moving to LA from Colorado in December and am excited to buy my first Mustang (wanted one ever since high school, but living in Colorado made it difficult). Hadn't really considered modifying it, but after reading here, maybe I'll consider it. Looks like fun.

After sitting with the sales guy this afternoon, looks like availability is limited, so I wanted some advice on my choices to avoid ordering one. Looking at a 2012 GT Premium manual. It'll be a daily driver. No track, but I enjoy curves (both kinds, actually).

1. Brembo Brake package; is it worth it? And what does "aggressive suspension tuning" mean? Not worried about the cost, but looks like many of the dealer-speced models don't have it. I want bigger wheels but could do that after market.

2. The few ordering stories I saw in the forum seemed like they were nightmares. Is it a true statement that Ford's delivery is so slow?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Regarding the Brembo package - heck yea they are worth it. They don't necessarily perform better, i.e. stop in shorter distance than the stockers for normal street use. But they have a lot of advantages - they are better looking, fill out the wheel better, offer more choices in pads, its a stiffer caliper, more resistance to fade under hard use, better feel on the pedal...the list goes on and on. Look the stock brakes can be made to work well even on a race track - pads, SS lines, Dot4 fluid and ducting - been there done that. But IMO the Brembos are a no-brainer upgrade.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Talk to Sam Strano at www.stranoparts.com

Hes our resident expert for all things suspension
Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

My personal bet is that in terms of handling, Sam could probably set you up with a better rig for less than the package. Just my .2c. If i could do it over again, I would have gotten a bare bones car instead of spending money on packages when you can buy a cheaper mod that will look and perform better
Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Brembos are nice sure..but do you need them..Are you going to race to need the extra performance where they will come into play..Also they will make choosing new wheels if you ever get them a little more difficult as you will have to make sure the new wheels will clear the calipers
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy
Thanks for having me, this looks like a great forum. Moving to LA from Colorado in December and am excited to buy my first Mustang.
Hi CoffeeGuy,

Welcome to the community! I'm thrilled you are finally getting your 'Stang. The Brembo Brake Package includes 19" Dark Stainless aluminum painted wheels and 4-piston high-performance front calipers, among other features. The Unique AdvanceTrac electronic stability control tuning means it has a more aggressive feel.

The ordering process doesn't need to be painful. When you place your order, send me a private message with the order number and dealer name/location so I can keep you updated.

~Natasha
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
CoffeeGuy

Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I'm not racing and won't have a lot of time for modifications. It'll be a daily driver plus getting out on twisty roads as often as possible. I'll be more interested in modifications such as exhaust and wheels instead of breaking systems at least initially. I'm also on a complex buying timeline to correspond with my move to CA, which with the lack of speced dealer cars with Brembo makes the whole equation tough.

Natasha - Thanks again for the information; if I go that route, I'll let you know.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I ordered my car around the first week of March 2011 delivered April 28th of 2011. So about 2 months. However I am here in Michigan where they are built, so they didnt have to move it across the country to get it to me.

Go to Ford.com and use the build and price feature, it will tell you details about each option, and pricing.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR IN COLORADO, DO IT IN CALIFORNIA!!!

I have a friend who bought a new Mustang in Utah and tried to have it CA smog certified. Wound up costing him a couple grand. CA used car dealers wont buy a car thats purchased outside CA for that reason. Make sure Ford builds it CA compliant, and the best way to do that is take delivery in Cali
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The Brembo package is a steal considering the tires alone cost more than the package.

That said, if you change wheels after you buy the car, you are limited to wheels that will clear the brakes.

Also, the stock tires with this package were dangerous after 15,000 miles. Summer-only tires wear quickly. I just switched to a high end all season, and it was a fortune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Advice for New Mustang Owner, Brembo, Ordering