Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's all about QUALITY - Ford slammed by Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Folks....it does NOT get any worse than saying you own a Government Motors vehicle. THAT tops the hall of personal shame in my book.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
I traded my 2008 manual in for a 2010 auto because the transmission was a POS and Ford claimed it was normal operation. 2008 had problems too.
What exactly was wrong with the transmission? Did you ever take it in, and demand some reparations? Sometimes you have to figuratively "wrestle" with any dealership to get them to do the work you need done under warranty.

And don't think that is abnormal, every toyota dealer I have ever been to is just as bad. Almost like they will NOT acknowledge that their cars are having serious problems, and every honda accord I have seen will consume oil no matter what you do.

Believe me, there are worse companies out there. For example, mazda LOVES voiding their speed3's warranties for even the smallest mods. And you have to fight them every step of the way to try and get any work, short of an oil change, done. And everyone's heard of the Mitsubishi dealerships...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
JimC

I read some more on this alleged "study" by CR. It was simply a survey sent out to people asking about their problems, the biggest one being the My Touch and Sync that they couldn't figure out. It had nothing to do with actualy mechanical problems and trends - a simple survey about what they didn't like.

No big surprise - who is more likely to respond to the survey? Those who are unhappy. Were they having major mechanical problems? No, they didn't like the tech items.

Sounds like CR did this to skew things to me. They have always preferred the Japanese cars and lead the fight over the alleged 'quality' they represented. Just a perception in many cases (although the Detroit 3 did lag in the 80's) and the perception is reality for most of their readers.

Remember the reborn Chevy Nova - simply a rebadged Toyota Corolla. Came down the same line and they simply swapped badges. The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota (can't recall what it is called) also came down the same line, just different badging. Yet according to CR and the buyers the Toyota was a much better quality car and the Corolla sold like mad and the Nova sat on dealer lots.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I read some more on this alleged "study" by CR. It was simply a survey sent out to people asking about their problems, the biggest one being the My Touch and Sync that they couldn't figure out. It had nothing to do with actualy mechanical problems and trends - a simple survey about what they didn't like.

No big surprise - who is more likely to respond to the survey? Those who are unhappy. Were they having major mechanical problems? No, they didn't like the tech items.

Sounds like CR did this to skew things to me. They have always preferred the Japanese cars and lead the fight over the alleged 'quality' they represented. Just a perception in many cases (although the Detroit 3 did lag in the 80's) and the perception is reality for most of their readers.

Remember the reborn Chevy Nova - simply a rebadged Toyota Corolla. Came down the same line and they simply swapped badges. The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota (can't recall what it is called) also came down the same line, just different badging. Yet according to CR and the buyers the Toyota was a much better quality car and the Corolla sold like mad and the Nova sat on dealer lots.
Good point. But in my mind you gotta expect a few bugs with a first year redesign (Explorer, Focus etc). And that's for anything, not necessarily cars

And do you mean the Matrix?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
JimC

Yes, the Toyota Matrix it was the same car as the Pontiac Vibe, built on the same line, just different badging. Toyota was praised once again - so perception is reality.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC

Just putting it out there that this logic doesn't help your argument at all. Of course people who had problems were more likely to respond, but that isn't specific to Ford, that's a trend for every single brand. In addition, other companies have infotainment systems as well, so Ford having more complaints about theirs signifies that something about it is worse than the others. Either that or you could argue that Ford buyers are just less intelligent lol.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

You know what's funny? If Ford was rated at the top, people here would be like "HAHAH FORD OWNS! BEST QUALITY EVA! CONSUMER REPORTS SAID SO!". Now that it has bad marks, people are like "LOL CONSUMER REPORTS? THEY SUCK ANYWAY".
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
You know what's funny? If Ford was rated at the top, people here would be like "HAHAH FORD OWNS! BEST QUALITY EVA! CONSUMER REPORTS SAID SO!". Now that it has bad marks, people are like "LOL CONSUMER REPORTS? THEY SUCK ANYWAY".
Was thinking the same exact thing.

Then again expecting objectivity from a forum for any type of car is like asking the fat kid to stop liking cake
Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

x3 to the above and don't tell a fat kid you have Smarties bwah
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

i just bought a new 2011 f150 fx4 with the 5.0. the new 6 sp/ auto is poor quality and the 5.0 bogs, hesitates, shudders.

Quick Reply: It's all about QUALITY - Ford slammed by Consumer Reports