Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between '05 and '09 gas mileage..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
What kinda mpg did you get with your v6?

I've always heard GT's get better mileage than the v6's (which is weird...)
I could get 30mpgs on the highway if I really stayed out of it

And - its like I said - with the GT's you get the same acceleration/speed for far less throttle.

Also I skip shift in mine so I'm sure that helps. You can still skip shift in the automatics (that Ford for the genius of putting in that 1-2-3 shove shifter) by using your gear selections.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I could get 30mpgs on the highway if I really stayed out of it

And - its like I said - with the GT's you get the same acceleration/speed for far less throttle.

Also I skip shift in mine so I'm sure that helps. You can still skip shift in the automatics (that Ford for the genius of putting in that 1-2-3 shove shifter) by using your gear selections.
Wow..
what about city?
As for skipping shift..
that means I could technically just drive around in 3rd or second? and save mpgs?

Also, when I manually shift with the auto, if I have it in gear without giving it any gas, it makes a strange grinding sound. Like it's giving it power but not going anywhere....why does it do that? is it bad?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Wow..
what about city?
As for skipping shift..
that means I could technically just drive around in 3rd or second? and save mpgs?

Also, when I manually shift with the auto, if I have it in gear without giving it any gas, it makes a strange grinding sound. Like it's giving it power but not going anywhere....why does it do that? is it bad?
I never really bothered checking what I get city because on average I drive less than a half mile a day

I noticed that too - its not permanent but it sounds like its happening when it goes into gear. It never caused any PROBLEMS - but it isn't a nice noise. Anyhow, when I had my transmission serviced they didn't say anything and it kept up the noise so I figured its not an issue
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

The only difference is the driver. I've gotten 29mpg on the way home from work (mostly highway) but I average 22mpg with a V8 and I most definantly do not drive like a grandma.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Wow..
what about city?
As for skipping shift..

Don't know exactly what he means by skip shifting, but yes, you can start in any gear, 1,2,3. Obviously if you put it in D (4th) gear, it goes into auto mode.

With the stock shifter, it's mostly made for upshifting. You can still downshift but it feels harsh on the tranny. I don't know if there will be long term negative affects if you constantly manually downshift. Upshifting there is no problem as long as you shift proper. There is no "skip shift". You can't go from 1st to 3rd in one motion. It doesn't work that way. Still have to lock a gear and then shift again.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

None. It's you, the roads you travel, the ethanol content, the ambient temperature, the humidity, the barometeric pressure...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
You can still downshift but it feels harsh on the tranny. I don't know if there will be long term negative affects if you constantly manually downshift.
Guy I know who rebuilds trans said it's no bueno
Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Guy I know who rebuilds trans said it's no bueno
Thanks. Good to know that info. I kinda figured.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Thanks. Good to know that info. I kinda figured.
I wish I could remember why (was last year). Probably puts more stress on the internals but I'll have to ask again
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
None. It's you, the roads you travel, the ethanol content, the ambient temperature, the humidity, the barometeric pressure...
Shall we do a full aviator's report on factors in determining fuel consumption? Haha

Quick Reply: Differences between '05 and '09 gas mileage..