Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear whine! Will it go away?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

No the car sits at normal ride height.. And if that's really what happens when you get gears the. I'm going to take out these 4.10s and put my stock ones back in cause this is my daily driver and I can't stand the whine especially with the windows up! If there's honestly no way it'll go away or to readjust the gears to make it go away then the he'll withthese I'm taking them back out and what's the cool down break in process? I haven't been hammering the gas and stuff just normal driving not going over 2k and if I do it's to like 2500.. But this really upsets me I was excited to have these but now I'm not I hate it.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

They may get a little quieter for you. When I installed mine they did make some noise and now they don't. Obviously there's no way for me to compare my noise to your noise. I would give them some time, maybe have the guy that did the install double check everything. I also changed my fluid after about 1,000 miles and double checked everything while doing so. I also didn't perform a "break in process" as some state needs to be done. But I did drive mine like you are describing. I didn't beat on it for several hundred miles.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Well that's what I'm hoping for I hope the noise goes away I'm going to go back in and check the backlash cause I think if I adjust it some more it'll go away but we'll see it's just really annoying to hear.. But thanks for the extra hope lol
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Break in process involves driving and cool down periods. You generally don't want to go above 55-60 mph. You drive the car for about 10-15 min and then let it cool for 6-8 hours. Repeat 3 times. Then drive easy for 500 miles.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Well I use the car every day as a driver to work and it's like 30 minutes away it gets drove more than 15 minutes but doesn't go over 55.. I'm going back in to reset the backlash and i think it should help
Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Also consider the difference between the whine of a poorly installed gearste and the whine of a higher numerical ratio. 4.10s are more audible than 3.31. that's just reality.

Each gear set was machined for a target clearance, then they are usually (not always) lapped in and matched at the factory. When this is completed, they measure the backlash on their machine and mark the end of the pinion with the depth and backlash. You need to match this number for best results, provided the tech that did the operation was on his game. If he blew it, or you missed a good target setting, your going to have the dreaded whine of doom. They may live a month or for years, but they are going to wear prematurely and be less likely to survive abuse.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Yea I took that into consideration but it's definitely a whine from the installation.. So before I put a lot of miles on them this weekend I'm going readjust them and try again at the backlash and shim whatever I have to.. It's only coasting when the gears make noise and go away as soon as the clutch gets put in.. So from what I know I believ I'm going to have to shim the pinion this just sucks I hate when things don't go as I planned or liked it stresses me out lol
Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Mine have a slight decel whine from 40 mph. Not even enough to bother me.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Yea that's just like mine but it's not slight it's a little more than slight that's why it bothers me
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I've had gear whine in every Ford I've driven - all stock gears... Weird.

Quick Reply: Gear whine! Will it go away?!