Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GT- Struts Clunking Already

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by wesslvm
My car goes back to the dealer where I bought it for there second try at getting to the bottom of the issue. The strange thing is some days I don't hear any noise... strange.
Hi wesslvm,

Please send me a PM with your info as well (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) and I'll see what can be done to stop the noise.

I look forward to hearing from you!

~Natasha
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Just went to the dealer yesterday to have my LCA's replaced.. Done in 2hrs and the clunking for the most part is gone, at this point it sounds like perhaps something else that is little or maybe its just suppose to sound that way. HOWEVER the popping noise is worse and sounds like my ball joints just cracked off the car..

Going BACK Saturday morning, lets see what is said..
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Feels like the spring just shot out of its perch and hit the body, pretty much what it feels and sounds like.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
wesslvm
1st Gear Member

Natasha, you have already gotten involved, thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I am getting a CLUNK from my rear passenger on my 2010 and it only has 5000miles of easy driving on it. i thought it might have been the new lower control arms or the panhard..took all out and regreased it all and checked it over..and its still there..Just started to happen out of the blue months after i put new rear arms in..so i am thinking my rear shock is bad since I checked everything else.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I too get a clunk. Or really, I should say a harder "thud" than just a "clunk" when I go over uneven road.
I do not hear it going over speed bumps or coming off a driveway to the street because I take extra care to go over those slowly.

What I mean by uneven road is change in pavement height in as little as maybe half an inch or one at most, and at posted speed limit at that too.

What I mean by change in pavement height is lets say you are coming from one pavement material onto another pavement material. Say a concrete pavement to asphalt pavement.
Such an interface is usually flush, but sometimes there is as much as an inch difference from the concrete to the black asphalt. Going below speed limit at about 35 MPH (actual posted speed limit is really 40 MPH), when I drop down from the higher pavement to the lower pavement, my front suspension issues a hard thud as if the front control arms bottom out against the chassis. Or it could be the struts hitting hard against something they normally would not. Or the shocks completely compress. I don't know.

I do not know if this is a normal thing for all coups built as low as ours, but the hard thuds are disconcerting.
Has anyone else driven a much lower car, say a 'Vette or some other car, and get such thuds form their suspensions bottoming out?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

I just got back from the dealer over my horrid popping noise- they didnt even look at it after I waited 2 hours and told me its not a mechanical defect because they cant hear it where they are located and wont take it for a ride 10mins away where I always hear it. Very disappointing to hear this. So basically even though something is obviously wrong there isn't a thing that can be done..

Whatever it is sounds very bad and feels like a part that carriers the load of the car, maybe when my suspension collapses and I fly off the road they'll do something about it.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
ancona46
1st Gear Member

I hear ya, I swear ford does everything possible not to make a warranty repair. I never had any issues with jeep and GM dealers when it comes to service FORD SUCKS!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I have come to think its my rear shocks that are shot on pass side that is making it bottom out on bumpstop..I have checked EVERYTHING else and it started out of the blue..once I replace them with teh Koni and if it doesnt stop and I cant figure it out..This might get sent to chopping block. it sounds like a 20year old POS and its only got 5000 miles
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
wesslvm
1st Gear Member

Got my car back on Saturday. They replaced the passenger side lower control arm bushings and the drivers side sway bar bushings.

I would say most but not all of my noises are gone. Still need to drive some of my normal routes to see how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT- Struts Clunking Already