Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT (2005+) vs G35

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I echo what aaquib1992 said. I own each car in the 2006 year variety. I drive the Mustang in the summer but my wife drives the G35 all year round.

Both great cars but with different "feel, look and Wow factors".

No one ever watched me turn a corner while driving the G35 with a look of "OMG that's a totally amazing car!"... one the other hand, my Mustang gets all the rave reviews from young an old. Given the option, my wife would drive the Mustang at the drop of a hat.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

My daily driver is 2004 G35X. The car is approaching 100K and the only mechanical problem was replacing the starter one month ago, a huge pain to replace it because it was blocked by many parts underneath the starter. Not bad for a car approaching 100K! That being said, here the comparison of the two. Mind you, my G is 2004 and my son has 2008 model and it rides much smoother and quieter.

G35X:

Four wheel drive, never had snow issues in Jersey including last year's huge storm. Normally the car is rear drive, 4-wheel kicks in automatically on demand. Much better than average brakes and handling. Fit and finish are better than the GT. Infiniti paid much more attention to the details of the car unlike Ford. Both battery and brake fluid compartments are totally insulated from the engine so the heat won't attack them. Thick carpet mats and trunks mats are standard. Auto defrost outside mirrors. Memory power driver seat, reclind rear seat, Bose audio unit developed a problem causing fast drain on the battery, which is a known fact for 2003,2004, 2005 owners. Overnight, the battery is dead!

GT:

Power, brakes and handling are really first class. But the car rides rough when going over bumps and cracks, reducing tire pressure does not help. If you drive in NYC during the winter, your inner organs will exchange places. I am really glad that I did not order the 19 in wheel, otherwise the ride would be even rougher for this old gizzard. Fit and finish have a long way to go. Ford not paying attention to the detail finish is a big problem. Ford thinks all owners are boy racers who only care about horsepower. My GT has an exposed thick, black wire from the roof to the rear view mirror exposing all the wire connections in the rear mirror! Heck the GT premium is not a cheap car, but treated like a cheap car by Ford. I have raised the issue in another thread some time back on what I like to have in my GT based on what I have in my G35X and mine was a older 2004 model!

Ford really needs to pay attention to the details of this car like it does in Taurus. An independent rear suspension would cure the rough ride. This is what I have to say about the G35X and the GT for now.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
tjackson9810

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Sorry about the terminology lol, it can get confusing very quickly but rest assured there is a fairly simple fix for the water leak (into the SJB). The second problem is simply when you go to fill gas in your tank and due to the nature of the tank (a different design) it shuts off the pump before completely filling up. But this also has simple remedies (I simply twist the pump nozzle 15 degrees).

Yes the power train is reliable, the manuals are known to be a bit unrefined in the v6 mustang (the GT gets a better unit) but if you are looking at 05-09 models, you have much less to worry about with manual transmissions because the major problems started cropping up in the 2011+ models (not sure on the 2010 model). Automatics are stellar across the board, I personally have never had a problem with mine, and very few people complain about them- save for heavily modded mustangs.

The dashboard rattling will cost you maybe some ingenuity and a few dollars buying glue or some insulation. Very cheap, and a good way to learn the ins-and-outs of your car. The car is user friendly for the most part, so taking parts off should be a snap and we have PLENTY of step by step tutorials for anyone who needs a guiding hand.

The bad alternator is another common problem, although I have not had that happen to me I see alternators go for less than $300 online.

I know the mustang sounds like it has too many problems, but we're being honest here lol. If the G35 forums say their cars are "problem free" they're lying. Check their boards for any problem threads and remember that everything that breaks in that car will cost you an arm and a leg lol.

I know it's not the same car, but for reference I had an early 2000s audi a6 and when I went in to get the brake pads changed, they charged me a total of $570 for all 4. A bit steep considering they were stock parts.
Cool thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering if there were any suspension upgrades to make the mustang handle as well as the g35 if not better or is it not likely achievable by a mustang.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

).

Yes the power train is reliable, the manuals are known to be a bit unrefined in the v6 mustang (the GT gets a better unit) but if you are looking at 05-09 models, you have much less to worry about with manual transmissions because the major problems started cropping up in the 2011+ models (not sure on the 2010 model). Automatics are stellar across the board, I personally have never had a problem with mine, and very few people complain about them- save for heavily modded mustangs.
Not exactly true. The Tremec manual is a POS in my opinion. Yes it's tough and can handle some horsepower..."IF" you can get it to go into gear properly.
Mine didn't want to shift into gear in cold weather and experienced the "cold crunch" as described on many of the forums.

Save yourself some headaches and get the auto.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjackson9810
Cool thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering if there were any suspension upgrades to make the mustang handle as well as the g35 if not better or is it not likely achievable by a mustang.
Yes there are quite a few things you could change suspension wise to make the mustang excel in auto-x or even just spirited driving. Sam Strano of strano performance is a well known vendor here, and he really knows the ins and outs of these cars suspension, so if you do go the mustang route I would suggest you give his website a look (quick google search should get his site at the top).

Anyway, springs/shocks (done at same time usually) and a few supporting modifications are usually all that is needed to crispen the handling on the mustang. Many people are running these mods on their suspension and have nose dive/body roll/rear end drift almost completely remedied. Then there are other supporting mods like sway bars (I love mine), upper control arms, lower control arms, panhard bars, and performance tires, etc. to help you get the feel you are looking for.

Suspension is not my area of expertise, but I can assure you there are MANY mods available (all very affordable as well) for the curvy road mustang enthusiast. I cannot really compare these mods on a mustang to a G35, I have never driven one. But I would imagine a fairly heavy luxury car doesn't handle all that much better than the mustang, especially after it has the suspension modified for performance. Many factory suspensions are very middle of the road, the automaker wants to appeal to a broad consumer base and for this reason they tend to lean towards "floaty" rides.

@stangmole; Yeah I have heard a lot of bad about the tremecs too. But I'm told much of it is remedied with different tranny fluid? Not too versed on those transmissions as I have an auto lol. Do you by any chance have that "skip-shift" feature? Or is that 2011+ models only? I've heard that's a huge annoyance.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 11-09-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 AM
tjackson9810

Originally Posted by ResQman
I echo what aaquib1992 said. I own each car in the 2006 year variety. I drive the Mustang in the summer but my wife drives the G35 all year round.

Both great cars but with different "feel, look and Wow factors".

No one ever watched me turn a corner while driving the G35 with a look of "OMG that's a totally amazing car!"... one the other hand, my Mustang gets all the rave reviews from young an old. Given the option, my wife would drive the Mustang at the drop of a hat.
lol awesome thanks you for the input

Originally Posted by flash gordon
My daily driver is 2004 G35X. The car is approaching 100K and the only mechanical problem was replacing the starter one month ago, a huge pain to replace it because it was blocked by many parts underneath the starter. Not bad for a car approaching 100K! That being said, here the comparison of the two. Mind you, my G is 2004 and my son has 2008 model and it rides much smoother and quieter.

G35X:

Four wheel drive, never had snow issues in Jersey including last year's huge storm. Normally the car is rear drive, 4-wheel kicks in automatically on demand. Much better than average brakes and handling. Fit and finish are better than the GT. Infiniti paid much more attention to the details of the car unlike Ford. Both battery and brake fluid compartments are totally insulated from the engine so the heat won't attack them. Thick carpet mats and trunks mats are standard. Auto defrost outside mirrors. Memory power driver seat, reclind rear seat, Bose audio unit developed a problem causing fast drain on the battery, which is a known fact for 2003,2004, 2005 owners. Overnight, the battery is dead!

GT:

Power, brakes and handling are really first class. But the car rides rough when going over bumps and cracks, reducing tire pressure does not help. If you drive in NYC during the winter, your inner organs will exchange places. I am really glad that I did not order the 19 in wheel, otherwise the ride would be even rougher for this old gizzard. Fit and finish have a long way to go. Ford not paying attention to the detail finish is a big problem. Ford thinks all owners are boy racers who only care about horsepower. My GT has an exposed thick, black wire from the roof to the rear view mirror exposing all the wire connections in the rear mirror! Heck the GT premium is not a cheap car, but treated like a cheap car by Ford. I have raised the issue in another thread some time back on what I like to have in my GT based on what I have in my G35X and mine was a older 2004 model!

Ford really needs to pay attention to the details of this car like it does in Taurus. An independent rear suspension would cure the rough ride. This is what I have to say about the G35X and the GT for now.
I'm going to type down what you said in a word document so I won't forget, thanks for the bolding too of the points I'll definitely keep those in mind

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Not exactly true. The Tremec manual is a POS in my opinion. Yes it's tough and can handle some horsepower..."IF" you can get it to go into gear properly.
Mine didn't want to shift into gear in cold weather and experienced the "cold crunch" as described on many of the forums.

Save yourself some headaches and get the auto.
I live in California, should I be concerned with cold crunch busting the tranny? It sounds really bad...

Yes there are quite a few things you could change suspension wise to make the mustang excel in auto-x or even just spirited driving. Sam Strano of strano performance is a well known vendor here, and he really knows the ins and outs of these cars suspension, so if you do go the mustang route I would suggest you give his website a look (quick google search should get his site at the top).

Anyway, springs/shocks (done at same time usually) and a few supporting modifications are usually all that is needed to crispen the handling on the mustang. Many people are running these mods on their suspension and have nose dive/body roll/rear end drift almost completely remedied. Then there are other supporting mods like sway bars (I love mine), upper control arms, lower control arms, panhard bars, and performance tires, etc. to help you get the feel you are looking for.

Suspension is not my area of expertise, but I can assure you there are MANY mods available (all very affordable as well) for the curvy road mustang enthusiast. I cannot really compare these mods on a mustang to a G35, I have never driven one. But I would imagine a fairly heavy luxury car doesn't handle all that much better than the mustang, especially after it has the suspension modified for performance. Many factory suspensions are very middle of the road, the automaker wants to appeal to a broad consumer base and for this reason they tend to lean towards "floaty" rides.

@stangmole; Yeah I have heard a lot of bad about the tremecs too. But I'm told much of it is remedied with different tranny fluid? Not too versed on those transmissions as I have an auto lol. Do you by any chance have that "skip-shift" feature? Or is that 2011+ models only? I've heard that's a huge annoyance.
This is also going to go on my word document the info is golden thank you