Mustang GT (2005+) vs G35 - MustangForums.com


2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
tjackson9810
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default Mustang GT (2005+) vs G35

Hey guys I was wondering which one is better the new line of mustangs or the recent model g35s. I really want to know about the maintenance and reliability of both cars. Which one is better in terms of not having to take it to an auto shop. I would like to know some common problems with both of them too and price. Thank you
tjackson9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
eddypython
3rd Gear Member
 
eddypython's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 903
Default

Here's the issues I've had

alternator gone bad, fuel pump had gone bad, paint peeled off door handle ( on the interior )

some have had the dreader waterleak.

I have the premium package which gave me the " luxury " feel, but I'll tell you what, walking away from those G35's and not even trying hard beats any issues I've had.

I will say this, maintenance $$ I had to spend on the car ? 0
All those above were fixed while under waranty. NO problems since. Plus ford parts are cheaper in the event something needs a fixin
eddypython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member
 
aaquib1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,717
Default

Depends what year mustang you are looking at. 05-06 had some first run problems (not always, but it was common) like water leaking into the SJB and messing up the electronics in the car, or the saddle fuel tank problem when you go to fill the car and the pump shuts off prematurely. Or the dash rattles that many have had, although these are very fixable.

I have had the second problem only a few times, and it seems there are simple (and cheap) remedies for most of these problems. As far as engine or drivetrain problems? ZERO. The 4.0 or 4.6 may not be known for their power, or fuel economy but I can guarantee they are some of the most bullet proof engines out there (mostly due to decades of refinement for the 4.0L).

Now the G35 is almost a different class (price range too) of car. You pay for the luxury, and the mustang clearly lacks in that department- however, the infiniti will cost you more for that same reason. Depends what your priorities are, if you want total reliability then I suggest a pre-owned certified honda or toyota. Performance, and smile factor? A mustang hands down (from experience ). Luxury, and flash? The G series.

I would suggest you specify your search criteria, and let us know what is important to you. But as it stands, the mustang will always be more fun, easier to work on, and an american icon.
aaquib1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,738
Default

Go with the Mustang - seriously

I've had no issues with either of mine that I didn't cause myself.
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 424
Default

I picked my 2007 GT up in March of '09 with 10,000 miles on it. I just recently traded it in for a 2011 GT (September, 2011). The '07 had just shy of 37,000 miles when I traded it in. In the 2 1/2 years I owned it, I only had one problem. A spring clip on the rear brake caliper came loose so I had to replace the rear pads and rotor. That was the only issue I had. This car was otherwise bullet proof and maintenance cost very little.

My brother owns a 2004 G35. This car has around 69,000 miles and he still owns the car today. It has never been to the dealer for warranty work. Certain maintenance items on this car will cost more than a Mustang. For example, we had to change the passenger headlight bulb. The bulb itself cost $90, then we had to jack up the car, remove the passenger front wheel just to get to the bulb.

My '07 was faster than my brother's G35.
Thrashard340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member
 
STANGmole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OR
Posts: 312
Default

If you go with a 2010+ you can have the performance AND the luxury feel. It's a much better put-together car with a quieter interior. That being said, I owned a 2008 and it was a great car too...just not the same level of refinement and fewer of the 'bugs' worked out of it.
STANGmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Wil
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Virginia ( Arlington )
Posts: 446
Default

When I first got into my 2010 (premium)I was amazed and proud of Ford, they sure did make the 2010+ Mustang into something else. I only wish I paid for the Navigation...that would have been the cherry on the cake.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
tjackson9810
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypython View Post
Here's the issues I've had

alternator gone bad, fuel pump had gone bad, paint peeled off door handle ( on the interior )

some have had the dreader waterleak.

I have the premium package which gave me the " luxury " feel, but I'll tell you what, walking away from those G35's and not even trying hard beats any issues I've had.

I will say this, maintenance $$ I had to spend on the car ? 0
All those above were fixed while under waranty. NO problems since. Plus ford parts are cheaper in the event something needs a fixin
tbh sounds like u had a lot of issues, I'm going to be buying a used car from a private seller so these problems sound expensive to fix, especially the bad alternator. I'm a newbie with cars too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaquib1992 View Post
Depends what year mustang you are looking at. 05-06 had some first run problems (not always, but it was common) like water leaking into the SJB and messing up the electronics in the car, or the saddle fuel tank problem when you go to fill the car and the pump shuts off prematurely. Or the dash rattles that many have had, although these are very fixable.

I have had the second problem only a few times, and it seems there are simple (and cheap) remedies for most of these problems. As far as engine or drivetrain problems? ZERO. The 4.0 or 4.6 may not be known for their power, or fuel economy but I can guarantee they are some of the most bullet proof engines out there (mostly due to decades of refinement for the 4.0L).

Now the G35 is almost a different class (price range too) of car. You pay for the luxury, and the mustang clearly lacks in that department- however, the infiniti will cost you more for that same reason. Depends what your priorities are, if you want total reliability then I suggest a pre-owned certified honda or toyota. Performance, and smile factor? A mustang hands down (from experience ). Luxury, and flash? The G series.

I would suggest you specify your search criteria, and let us know what is important to you. But as it stands, the mustang will always be more fun, easier to work on, and an american icon.
Very helpful information along with the other posts. I'm not too sure what you mean by the second problem. The water leaking into the SJB or the saddle fuel tank problem. I barely know anything about cars and had to google "SJB" lol but I'm going to start. I definitely like how the power train is bullet proof, I own a 2002 honda accord and that piece of junk's tranny is complete garbage. Reliability is important to me and I do like how the mustang is a better bang for the buck. I'm curious about the problems though, are they relatively cheap and easy to DIY?
tjackson9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Jeffk
6th Gear Member
 
Jeffk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!
Posts: 7,233
Default

I had the same debate before I bought my Mustang. I was even looking at G37's. Are they nice cars, hell yes. Do I regret buying the Mustang? Hell no! I have put 6k miles on it in 2 months and I don't intend to slow down for a while.
I haven't had any issues but it's only been 2 months.
Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member
 
aaquib1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjackson9810 View Post
Very helpful information along with the other posts. I'm not too sure what you mean by the second problem. The water leaking into the SJB or the saddle fuel tank problem. I barely know anything about cars and had to google "SJB" lol but I'm going to start. I definitely like how the power train is bullet proof, I own a 2002 honda accord and that piece of junk's tranny is complete garbage. Reliability is important to me and I do like how the mustang is a better bang for the buck. I'm curious about the problems though, are they relatively cheap and easy to DIY?
Sorry about the terminology lol, it can get confusing very quickly but rest assured there is a fairly simple fix for the water leak (into the SJB). The second problem is simply when you go to fill gas in your tank and due to the nature of the tank (a different design) it shuts off the pump before completely filling up. But this also has simple remedies (I simply twist the pump nozzle 15 degrees).

Yes the power train is reliable, the manuals are known to be a bit unrefined in the v6 mustang (the GT gets a better unit) but if you are looking at 05-09 models, you have much less to worry about with manual transmissions because the major problems started cropping up in the 2011+ models (not sure on the 2010 model). Automatics are stellar across the board, I personally have never had a problem with mine, and very few people complain about them- save for heavily modded mustangs.

The dashboard rattling will cost you maybe some ingenuity and a few dollars buying glue or some insulation. Very cheap, and a good way to learn the ins-and-outs of your car. The car is user friendly for the most part, so taking parts off should be a snap and we have PLENTY of step by step tutorials for anyone who needs a guiding hand.

The bad alternator is another common problem, although I have not had that happen to me I see alternators go for less than $300 online.

I know the mustang sounds like it has too many problems, but we're being honest here lol. If the G35 forums say their cars are "problem free" they're lying. Check their boards for any problem threads and remember that everything that breaks in that car will cost you an arm and a leg lol.

I know it's not the same car, but for reference I had an early 2000s audi a6 and when I went in to get the brake pads changed, they charged me a total of $570 for all 4. A bit steep considering they were stock parts.
aaquib1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**New...from NAT! 2015 Ford Mustang MRT Rear Window Louvers**Free shipping! NorthAmericanTuning Vendor For Sale / Group Buy Classifieds 5 11-09-2016 11:45 AM
**New from NAT!2015 Ford Mustang MRT Rear Window Louvers**Free Shipping! NorthAmericanTuning The New S550 2015-2017 Mustang 3 03-18-2016 11:21 AM
Horsepower History: Mustang Power Numbers Through the Years MustangForums Editor Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion 8 01-06-2016 07:03 PM
New from Pittsburgh chain New Member Area 6 08-17-2015 08:52 AM
Just swapped motor exhaust want fit daytooday Motor Swap Section 2 08-11-2015 09:22 AM


Tags
2005, 2006, brake, bumps, clips, do, g35, gt, isimple, mustang, navigation, preformance, rear, reliability, reliable, rides, rough, spring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.