Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions

Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

The report is as expected. The problem is a lot smaller than one would think by visiting one of these "world is on fire" forums. 3% tops.... they were very generous. Many of those included many who heard they might have a problem from a forum and never took their car in. Hype by a few.

It's progressing as expected.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

They are taking some action and that is good. It just doesn't seem as aggressive as it should be. 3% of owners having problems with a taillight going out would be one thing. 3% of your customers having serious issues with such a critical component of the car is quite another. I know for some people these cars are not expensive. But for the owners, whether they could afford a 150,000 dollar car or a 30,000 dollar car, fact is the money spent is hard earned and people buy their car because they have a passion for it, so come on Ford, pick it up a little bit.

They are far and away my favorite manufacturer, but between this, how they are handling the service woman on here who's 5.0 literally burst into flames by no fault of anyone but Ford's, and various other things coming up on these, I just wish they'd give people a littttttle less trouble and just step up a lot more aggressively. They are doing enough, but the Ford I brag about to my buddies didn't used to let "enough" be enough.

And like someone else said. Come on Ford. Stop building crap in China, Canada, Mexico, etc... Give more people here jobs so they can buy more of your products! Win-win!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Interesting. First time I've seen a date regarding the pressure plate bolt issue. Since my car was built on 8/30/2010 and the revised fasteners were not available until 10/19/2010, I wonder if that's my problem.

The report suggests that it should become obvious before this results in a failure...but if they back out gradually..and combined with how temperamental this car is in cold weather (takes the engine and trans at least 5 minutes of driving to quiet down), I think it would be hard to tell until it gets really bad.

Also, if they know the fasteners aren't adequate, shouldn't the send out a recall for cars built before the fix? For those of us that don't beat on our cars, it seems like it would take a while for this issue to become an obvious problem. If they aren't adequate, they will fail eventually (right?).
Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

...Later, during the Q&A session, Ford reps were seen covering their ears and loudly shouting, "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
LOL. His post wasn't addressed towards you... unless you used to be jmatero.
Was he supposed to be banned or something?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...es-owners.html

What am I missing here?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
So Ford is basically saying there is a problem, they addressed them with half *** solutions that work some of the time, and calling it a day.

I don't think that's going far enough. A 3% problem rate for a critical component in a car IMO is far too high. Ford continues to drop the ball on this one IMO. Poor response quality.
Ford has sold about 40,000 2011/12 Mustang (5.0s) GTs, about half have Autos. That means there are about 600 cars that may have problems at the most!

Last edited by mobydick; 11-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Maraman
I'm having a hard time making relevance to this post, its alot like reading braile...that is you can only understand it if your blind.

Are you accusing me of trolling? if thats the case its punishable by death.

I'm not looking for any publicity at all, I for one have been one of the members telling people that have been blowing this situation out of proportion to lay low about it until they start having problems. People have been freaking out for the longest time saying things like "FORD SUCKS ELL OH ELL" and frankly im tired of hearing about it. Then you got the people that have modded their cars well beyond the limits then blame ford when **** breaks and say they designed a poor transmission in the first place.

Taking into account that I own an MT82 car, and you do not I think that I can contribute more to this thread then you can, judging from your sig your 08 didn't come equipped with an MT82 6 speed transmission, so there really is no need for you to be starting flame wars in tech threads about it.

*edit* you have a quote from lost boys in your sig, need I say more?
Are you puporting to be Jmatero? If not, then no I'm not calling you a troll. If you are Jmatero then yes, you are a troll. Talk about being blind. Black and white enough for you?

At least we agree on one thing, people have been blowing it (the tranny issue) out of proportion and I'm sick of hearing people rag on Ford, Mustang, etc. With nothing to support their comments other than what they've been fed or read online.

My issue with your post is that you yourself state you have no problems with the tranny on your car yet you're just adding fuel to the proverbial fire with this statement.

“In this article it says reguardless of the problems that people have been having they still have been able to get into gear and haven't been locked out at all is a bunch of crap.”

What's the point of making such a blatant unsupported remark? Oh yeah, yeah yeah, opinion etc. It is no different than those same people you and I agree on are just raging to rag.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
What are you talking about? The TSB where they change your trans fluid and then people have reduced problems with the transmission? Where they replace the bolts that back out sometimes?

Those are the two fixes I've heard of on these transmissions. Not sure where you're thinking that they're upgrading customers for free lol. Also is this magical 3% recalculation of yours based in anything or is it a pulled out of *** stat? Even Ford doesn't factually know a percentage, since they're likely basing that statistic off of a sample far smaller than the actual population. Also have to remember that for every person who put power into a transmission that's junk, there's also another person not speaking up about their janky transmission.

To me at least, it's an ethics issue. They don't necessarily need to do a recall, but they should offer a better fix for those complaining than things that don't 100% solve a problem. Honestly, it's a stupid business move IMO because I know if I had a 2011/2012 with this issue and they weren't happy to fix it for me, I'd never buy another Ford again. I personally am really happy with my Mustang and overall with Ford, but an experience as an MT82 victim would probably change my story a whole hell of a lot.
TSB does not equal recall. That's what I'm talking about.

Where did I say customer was getting free upgrades? Where?

Yeah, you're right. Not sure why I thought there was a percentage in there. I'll give you that.

Click on the link at the bottom of the article and it takes to you to the case and Ford's explanations. It seems to me that Ford is spending a lot of time on this, so the perception that Ford isn't doing enough is incorrect. That's my opinion.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
TSB does not equal recall. That's what I'm talking about.

Where did I say customer was getting free upgrades? Where?

Yeah, you're right. Not sure why I thought there was a percentage in there. I'll give you that.

Click on the link at the bottom of the article and it takes to you to the case and Ford's explanations. It seems to me that Ford is spending a lot of time on this, so the perception that Ford isn't doing enough is incorrect. That's my opinion.
I guess my argument isn't whether or not Ford is adequately researching the problem, my argument is that it's bad business practice to not come up with a more comprehensive solution to the problem at hand. IMO long term customer loyalty far outweighs short term costs of fixing a mess up. Particularly in the auto industry where as has been said elsewhere, everything is swept under the rug, Ford could make a massive impact by showing that they take the problems that happen seriously, and they'll make them right for the customer. It certainly would ensure I stayed a Ford customer.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mobydick
Ford has sold about 40,000 2011/12 Mustang (5.0s) GTs, about half have Autos. That means there are about 600 cars that may have problems at the most!
You can translate these numbers into quantities all day, and to me, 3% of transmissions having issues is something that should be addressed by more than TSB's that don't even always fix the problem.

Put yourself in the shoes of the guy who gets a transmission that's really notchy when cold, can't get into certain gears, etc. and then think about it again. Businesses need to be about more than dollar bills here and now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions