Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
fastautos
Banned

Default Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions

Ford has officially responded to the NHTSA investigation of the 2011+ Mustang's MT82 6-speed transmission:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

Thoughts? Did they not do enough or do you think their response is reasonable?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Looks like Ford is addressing the matters. However, I feel for them in a way. There are always some shade tree idiots (you see em on these forums all the time) that modify their cars to the point that it causes damage, and then cry foul when Ford doesn't pay for their ignorance and lack of mechanic skill. I could never be a service manager at a dealer. I've been turning wrenches as a pro for over 20 years and I'd be telling way to many shadetree idiots to get their ignorant redneck *** outta my damn office LOL! Nothing worse than people not owning up to their own *** ups or realizing that warranty doesn't cover STUPID!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

So is the production line (quality control)in China being looked into? Their quality control with other products supplied to the US has been a tad suspect.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

So Ford is basically saying there is a problem, they addressed them with half *** solutions that work some of the time, and calling it a day.

I don't think that's going far enough. A 3% problem rate for a critical component in a car IMO is far too high. Ford continues to drop the ball on this one IMO. Poor response quality.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
So Ford is basically saying there is a problem, they addressed them with half *** solutions that work some of the time, and calling it a day.

I don't think that's going far enough. A 3% problem rate for a critical component in a car IMO is far too high. Ford continues to drop the ball on this one IMO. Poor response quality.

I agree, at first I was skeptical because I didnt think as many people were having problems. Seemed at first like everyone was blowing everything out of proportion, but then when I seen that 500+ page on the other forums full of people having issues I find it hard to believe that 3% is an accurate number.

In this article it says reguardless of the problems that people have been having they still have been able to get into gear and haven't been locked out at all is a bunch of crap.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Definately sounds like Ford dropped the ball on this one for sure. Now I feel happy I took out the extended warranty on my 11. Might just have to use it in the near future.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Maraman
[/B]
I agree, at first I was skeptical because I didnt think as many people were having problems. Seemed at first like everyone was blowing everything out of proportion, but then when I seen that 500+ page on the other forums full of people having issues I find it hard to believe that 3% is an accurate number.

In this article it says reguardless of the problems that people have been having they still have been able to get into gear and haven't been locked out at all is a bunch of crap.

Do you know how many people own mustangs and how many are active on a forum? Didn't think so. I can't say 3% is right but I can say it's quite possible. Squeaky wheels get the attention.

You also have the trolls like Jmatero (or whatever his name was) trying to get publicity out of it as well. I looked up his unsername and he's registered on no less than 4 or 5 automotive sites like a VW forum and IIRC a Dodge Forum. In some cases he only posted about problems related to those brands.

The only issue I have with the reply from Ford is they that they didnt' go into much detail over the 5th gear issue (synchro gear). "Solution, It's been addressed (or something or other). Addressed how?? Also, Skip gear sucks, Vette (C6's) have it and they too complain of similiar issues.

I find it a bit amusing how people that don't even own the car (or own one and don't have any issues) are all up-in-arms over it. If it doesn't affect you directly stop beating a dead horse. Sell your Mustang (and other Ford models) and go buy a Jap car. Oh wait, Toyota had ANOTHER recall. This time with steering issues on 500,000+ cars...

To those that do own a model that they feel is affected and has unaddressed tranny issues that blows! Hopefully Ford can fix it/make it right for you.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Whether 3% is acceptable, or not, is hardly the issue. 3% wouldn't warrant any type of recall, change in manufacturing, or transmission redesign. It looks like Ford has taken necessary steps to address individual issues, even to the extend of upgrades to certain components. Whether it's acceptable by your standards, or not, is subjective.

The rate of failure is actually less than 3% as some of the issues were deemed driver error and/or abuse.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Do you know how many people own mustangs and how many are active on a forum? Didn't think so. I can't say 3% is right but I can say it's quite possible. Squeaky wheels get the attention.

You also have the trolls like Jmatero (or whatever his name was) trying to get publicity out of it as well. I looked up his unsername and he's registered on no less than 4 or 5 automotive sites like a VW forum and IIRC a Dodge Forum. In some cases he only posted about problems related to those brands.

The only issue I have with the reply from Ford is they that they didnt' go into much detail over the 5th gear issue (synchro gear). "Solution, It's been addressed (or something or other). Addressed how?? Also, Skip gear sucks, Vette (C6's) have it and they too complain of similiar issues.

I find it a bit amusing how people that don't even own the car (or own one and don't have any issues) are all up-in-arms over it. If it doesn't affect you directly stop beating a dead horse. Sell your Mustang (and other Ford models) and go buy a Jap car. Oh wait, Toyota had ANOTHER recall. This time with steering issues on 500,000+ cars...

To those that do own a model that they feel is affected and has unaddressed tranny issues that blows! Hopefully Ford can fix it/make it right for you.
I'm having a hard time making relevance to this post, its alot like reading braile...that is you can only understand it if your blind.

Are you accusing me of trolling? if thats the case its punishable by death.

I'm not looking for any publicity at all, I for one have been one of the members telling people that have been blowing this situation out of proportion to lay low about it until they start having problems. People have been freaking out for the longest time saying things like "FORD SUCKS ELL OH ELL" and frankly im tired of hearing about it. Then you got the people that have modded their cars well beyond the limits then blame ford when **** breaks and say they designed a poor transmission in the first place.

Taking into account that I own an MT82 car, and you do not I think that I can contribute more to this thread then you can, judging from your sig your 08 didn't come equipped with an MT82 6 speed transmission, so there really is no need for you to be starting flame wars in tech threads about it.

*edit* you have a quote from lost boys in your sig, need I say more?

Last edited by Maraman; 11-09-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Derf00

The people on forums have nothing to do with it.
It's the fact that 3% out of ALL owners are having this problem.
For such a component this is fail on their part.
Percentages for major components have caused manufacturers to
attention and had them fix the problem with less than this amount
MANY times.

Like I said before, forget about the posts by people on the forums.
The fail percentage of that rate with such an important component should be unacceptable!

There are going to be quite a bit of Mustangs with this transmission produced so far that have this problem!

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
The rate of failure is actually less than 3% as some of the issues were deemed driver error and/or abuse.
And do you not think some to many of those deemed driver caused are in fact NOT driver caused?
OF COURSE there are! And with the voiding of warranties with mods being done so much with this car I bet there are
A LOT of cases where a void of warranty for modding was put on even if the mod did not cause the problem.

Not bashing Ford at all.
They are still my favorite auto maker and I still think highly of them.
However I do think they REALLY need to take MAJOR action on this and fix the issue, and that they
should have before now.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions