Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put your thinkin' caps on... I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Put your thinkin' caps on... I need help...

I hey folks... Strange thing happened while driving home last night. I was cruising down the highway at 60mph and all of a sudden the interior map lights came on. Then I realized that the engine had died. I rolled to a safe stop with the hazard lights on.

There were no dummy lights, no sputtering, no nada before this occurred. Flashers work, headlights work, keyless entry works, and trunk release works. When you turn the key to start the car, there is nothing, not even accessory power, e.g. radio, OBDII port diagnostics.

My mods: JLT CAI, BAMA 89R Tune, Pypes Violators. I'm no mechanic, but can do anything with good directions. That's about it.

My car specs: Model year - 2005; 33,700 miles; original spark plugs/COPs/alternator, but 2 yr old Interstate battery.

I tried to see if there were any DTC codes by pulling them with my SCT tuner. It prompts you to turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. I turn the key to on, but the SCT cannot pull anything. The mileage won't even display on the dash with the key at that position and the radio won't work. I can't even roll up the windows.

I checked the SJB and passenger floor board and there was no evidence of water damage. The floor is completely dry. I always check it after rain and car washes as I am always concerned about this.

It seems like there is an ignition fuse that has blown that is preventing the ignition from determining it is turned to the on or start position. There are no obvious indicators where this fuse is or how to check.

Can anyone offer some help? Suggestions? Pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Don
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I hey folks... Strange thing happened while driving home last night. I was cruising down the highway at 60mph and all of a sudden the interior map lights came on. Then I realized that the engine had died. I rolled to a safe stop with the hazard lights on.

There were no dummy lights, no sputtering, no nada before this occurred. Flashers work, headlights work, keyless entry works, and trunk release works. When you turn the key to start the car, there is nothing, not even accessory power, e.g. radio, OBDII port diagnostics.

My mods: JLT CAI, BAMA 89R Tune, Pypes Violators. I'm no mechanic, but can do anything with good directions. That's about it.

My car specs: Model year - 2005; 33,700 miles; original spark plugs/COPs/alternator, but 2 yr old Interstate battery.

I tried to see if there were any DTC codes by pulling them with my SCT tuner. It prompts you to turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. I turn the key to on, but the SCT cannot pull anything. The mileage won't even display on the dash with the key at that position and the radio won't work. I can't even roll up the windows.

I checked the SJB and passenger floor board and there was no evidence of water damage. The floor is completely dry. I always check it after rain and car washes as I am always concerned about this.

It seems like there is an ignition fuse that has blown that is preventing the ignition from determining it is turned to the on or start position. There are no obvious indicators where this fuse is or how to check.

Thanks in advance.
Don
In my '11 the map lights come on when you pull the key out of the ignition, so it sounds like yours stopped seeing the key in the ignition. Have you tried a different key? Sound like either a fuse is blown, a cable melted, or the ignition is toast, or your key is no good. check your fuses.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Thanks in advance.
Don
Well what i can tell you is get fuse checker check fuses or relays that may have been damaged, now if you find one damaged in relation for ecu or ignition then i may suggest replacing it and try starting car if fuse blows again u may have bad ground or exposed cable that causing an issue, we had an 05 in shop that cable made contact with ecu and caused fuses to blow once we corrected issue car worked(your symptoms sound the same)

GL
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

The fuse for the ignition is in the engine bay,
hit google up for the fuse box diagrams.

I've blown my ignition fuse multiple times, I just don't remember if those are the exact symptoms or not.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

hitting google...

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...ols - 4.6L.pdf
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Thanks in advance.
Don

Don,

You don't have any aftermarket electronics or anything in the car? No amps/subs or anything?

Your fusebox will be in the engine compartment and the inside of the lid should be labeled with the different fuses and their locations.

Check your fuses and report back.

Please PM me directly if you have any questions or concerns in the future!

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Start with the battery, and get the alternator tested while you're at it. These cars do really weird things when the battery is dying... I remember mine locked itself shut after I started it and shut my door (no moving, I simply started the car and closed my door as I got out of the car to go get some tools).

But if it's not either of those, I would start replacing the fuses as others have said, and see if you possibly have the water leak while you're at it?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:25 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the responses...

kput, It turned out to be the ignition fuse. It blew for some strange reason. I really wish the owner's manual listed the fuse locations in it. I scoured that damn thing on the side of the road trying to identify which fuses are where.

AMChrisYoung, I don't have any aftermarket audio/video stuff. However, the previous owner did as he left the power cable running from the engine bay to the trunk as well as what I assume is an amplifier remote turnon wire. I don't know where it is connected to, if anything at all. Looks like i will need to be tearing my interior apart to figure that out and remove them from possibly being an issue later on.

Once again, thanks for the helpful advice.

Have a good night folks and be safe.

Don
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the responses...

kput, It turned out to be the ignition fuse. It blew for some strange reason. I really wish the owner's manual listed the fuse locations in it. I scoured that damn thing on the side of the road trying to identify which fuses are where.

AMChrisYoung, I don't have any aftermarket audio/video stuff. However, the previous owner did as he left the power cable running from the engine bay to the trunk as well as what I assume is an amplifier remote turnon wire. I don't know where it is connected to, if anything at all. Looks like i will need to be tearing my interior apart to figure that out and remove them from possibly being an issue later on.

Once again, thanks for the helpful advice.

Have a good night folks and be safe.

Don

Just undo the wire from the battery,
it probably touched metal in your trunk somewhere and blew the fuse...
or wait...
if it blew the ignition fuse, he had the power switch for the amp (turns the amp on and off) switched up to the ignition module thing..
take apart your dash and look around under the wheel, find any wires that look out of place, it's probably your problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

what about the kill switch on the passenger side foot well. i've heard of people hitting some large bumps and that would trip the kill switch. Not sure if it is just a fuel kill switch or if it knocks out the electrical also.

Quick Reply: Put your thinkin' caps on... I need help...