Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has cams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I have borla stingers with my cams and they sound great. I have stock exhaust manifolds though
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

no drone here with jba mufflers.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Cams and longtubes equal drone and trumpeting. I have AT flows and resonators to control it all, still loud as hell when on the gas.
Are you using M80's? How much do they quiet the exhaust? I like the loudness I've got just not the drone. They'd probably help my setup just haven't done enough searching yet to see if that's the route I want to go.

I've read on some other forums about welding a tuned resonator tube to the exhaust pipe. Any one on here try that?

(Pypes cats fixed the trumpeting)

Last edited by Hack Job; 11-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

M80s got rid of the trumpeting. Tone got deeper not quieter. My flows got rid of the drone. I did the flows first, then the m80s.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

My last post was a bit unclear (was using my phone and couldn't find the link). I said resonator tube but I meant side branch resonator.

I've got Pypes LT's, O/R X, and Roush stinger type axle-back. Sounds great at idle and scares people when you step on the gas. The trumpeting was horrible though so I welded in some Pypes hi-flow cats. Now the 18-2000rpm drone is starting to wear on me.
Obviously, the easiest fix is to replace axle-back. I've also checked into the M-80's, I'm just not sure if they'll cut the sound volume as well as reduce drone. I dont want to make the exhaust any quiter - just eliminate the drone.

I found a lot of posts on other forums about side branch resonators.Anyone on this forum try this?
Exhaust Drone is Completely Gone

This is the long way of asking - will M-80's quite the system down noticeably, or is their a better way to reduce drone aside from replacing the axle-back?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Hot rods here. Mac lt's and had a pypes H and m80 mid muffler set up. Was extremely loud and I loved it. You could hear me from a mile away and you knew exactly who it was. But it had a nasty drone around 2600-3k. I just installed a prochamber yesterday and boy is the sound way different than I expected. It's 10x's quieter inside the cab and I don't have to yell to talk to someone. Very little drone while driving compared to what it was IMO.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by rdsx18
I just put in Comp stage 2 nsr cams and love them, but now I have crazy drone. I have bbk shorties, into a catted x, into magnapacks. I want to add another set of mufflers, but was wondering what people with cams are running. Think loudmouths would get it tame enough?
When we had the Hot Rod Cams we had long tubes and loudmouths.
It was HORRIBLE.

We had backlash vibrations in the dash that sounded like bees literally at certain RPMS.

We tried several different exhaust setups and the only ones that ended up working were the stock exhaust and Bassani Race Exhaust that a friend donated to us. Turns out the Bassani not only had no vibration or drone, they sounded great... even though I had NOT been a Bassani person in the past.

Once you put cams and long or shorties, the exhaust can get VERY finicky and it varies from vehicle to vehicle on problems, the severity of the problems, and if there are any at all.

If you are buying exhaust I would STRONGLY advise against a non muffler setup like loudmouths, though I LOVED our loudmouths on the stock setup. I would go with something PRETTY damn mild to be careful.
The setup will sound great though and have that MUSCLE sound that you love with the loudmouths even with a mild exhaust end.

The Bassani is QUITE a bit more muscly sounding and aggressive as compared to the stock. And that is what I was looking for.
I would not go stock but again I would not go with a mufflerless setup or an otherwise aggressive setup for these cars that don't have the tubes and cams.

We wanted as aggressive as we could get without an annoying drone or any other sort of vibration backlash. An exhaust tech explained to me why the mufflerless setup can OFTEN cause this with cams and shorties or longtubes. Unfortunately I forgot his explanation. I assure you it made perfect sense to us though.

Again I suggest a mild setup to save you the pains of sounds you do not want with the cams and shorties.

I LOVE loudmouths and suggest them ALL the time but with this setup I STRONGLY try to sway people away from it. I love loudmouths so much that it pains me to say that because I wish SO bad they did not cause that problem often.

Not all people have problems with it though. It's about a 50/50 shot but that is enough for me not to do it when you spend good money on exhaust.

Hope this advice helps and I hope whatever exhaust you choose works GREAT with your setup!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I will have to try a chambered set of mufflers, but I'd like to keep the magnapacks on. Hopefully it doesn't get too quiet (outside, lol)