Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

I've been consciously making an effort to not pull out into the intersection unless I can see that there are no cars coming, because its just so dangerous out there.
I'm lucky to be in Oklahoma as far as auto laws go. No sound dB limit, no tint limit (i think), and no emissions testing. WEEE
I forgot to add that it was a green arrow light but if it was green, I'm just like you. lol a quick Google search showed that the legal limit is 25% so if you've gone darker, better roll down them windows when you see a cop, I don't care how cold it is lol

Originally Posted by pascal
Another good one in Orlando is the camera aimed at the "no right turn on red" while if you go straight through the light, the cam won't pick you up, lol.
lol, they would probably tag me for running that one. Every time I make a right turn I think to myself if there was a sign back there that said no right turn on red.

Wow - 35% max? Thats sort of pointless.
I'll take any tint over no tint when it gets to be 110+ degrees in Vegas with leather seats!

Having said that though, I flash people to warn them about speed traps even though I know the "danger" because I like it when people warn me.

Cause I am wanted for murder.
I've never heard of this "flashing" technique until now. And stating you're wanted for murder is "notwise" lol
Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Wow - 35% max? Thats sort of pointless.

Here in Indy we can go as dark as 5%

I have 15...
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/IN/
http://tintlaws.com/laws/IN/

Pretty sure Indiana is 30% for the most part too. Some more rural locales are known to be very lenient but in general they will ticket you for the tint if they have you already pulled over for something else.

I think pascal is right about the debt being a primary reason lately, I see cops hiding more often lately to ticket people on the interstate... What is the point of hiding? Isn't that counter intuitive to an important purpose of patrols, to give a clear show of safety, and keep people from committing the crimes in the first place?

Last edited by aaquib1992; 11-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
According to a friend who is a cop the reason there is a tint law is because cops can't see walking up to the car - so they don't know if the driver is holding a gun, and it is an officer safety issue.

Not sure why you can tint the back windows though, since the bad guy could be sitting in the back seat.
Confirmed. A long time good friend of mine became a state policeman several years back. That is one of his biggest fears is being jumped when making a traffic stop. And it is not just tinted windows that scare him, it could be a cargo van with no passenger windows at all. While he is conducting the stop, guys could be hiding in the back of the van and could jump out and gang up on him.

Though it has not happened to anyone he knows, the incident has happened before to other law officers (not just policemen, even border patrolmen). Gangs of guys trying to run something illegal in a van, truck, or whatever get stopped, and in desperation, guys in the back jump out and kill the officer.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 PM
notwise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/IN/
http://tintlaws.com/laws/IN/

Pretty sure Indiana is 30% for the most part too. Some more rural locales are known to be very lenient but in general they will ticket you for the tint if they have you already pulled over for something else.

I think pascal is right about the debt being a primary reason lately, I see cops hiding more often lately to ticket people on the interstate... What is the point of hiding? Isn't that counter intuitive to an important purpose of patrols, to give a clear show of safety, and keep people from committing the crimes in the first place?
If they didn't hide, then people would slow down and not receive a ticket. After they are in the clear, most would speed up again. Where's the deterrent if there's no tickets handed out?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by notwise
If they didn't hide, then people would slow down and not receive a ticket. After they are in the clear, most would speed up again. Where's the deterrent if there's no tickets handed out?
Yeah I see what you're saying, and it makes good sense. But it still doesn't sit right with me that they would go through all that trouble just to catch people going over the speed limit. I know around where I live, they deliberately hide under an overpass where the highway goes downhill just prior to reaching that overpass, and they LOVE pulling people over for going 10-15 over the limit because of that hill. I have to brake just for that every time.

I know most cops are good hearted people, with positive intentions, but you know the old adage, "the actions of a few..."
Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
dean12692
1st Gear Member

http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._3668451_n.jpg

this is i think like 40%....
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

dont ever come to va then, legal is 50 . so not worth spending a few hundred to tint some windows.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

buddy of mine got a ticket for his tint being too dark. cop did the whole tint tester thing and it said it was over the limit. took the reciept from the shop that tinted his windows to court the judge seen a legit company did the tint job and dismissed the ticket right then and there.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Yeah I see what you're saying, and it makes good sense. But it still doesn't sit right with me that they would go through all that trouble just to catch people going over the speed limit. I know around where I live, they deliberately hide under an overpass where the highway goes downhill just prior to reaching that overpass, and they LOVE pulling people over for going 10-15 over the limit because of that hill. I have to brake just for that every time.

I know most cops are good hearted people, with positive intentions, but you know the old adage, "the actions of a few..."
there is a cop that likes to hide on the exit ramp triangle....that small triangle of dead space separating the exit and the hwy lane. he hides on the darkest part of that spot...with no lights at all...parking, or headlights. there are no street lights on that section either. and its usually 3-4am when hes out there. I used to see him every morning on my way to work. was on the bike one day jsut truckin along at 70mph and didnt see him until I was about 10 feet away from him. he turned on his lights...I immediately turned on my blinker to pull over..started slowing down...looked back and he had turned off his lights and didnt move. I honestly think he was just wanting to see if I was gonna run :lol
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Don't be too hurt about it . You were breaking the law after all. The cop isn't there to determine what the law should be. Yes, they have discretion, and some officers would let you slide on it, but it varies.

As was stated before, if officers were in plain sight, people would simply slow down long enough to pass the speed trap, and then go about at whatever their usual pace is. Tickets may not be a permanent deterrent, but it certainly makes people slow down for a period of time following.

I work in public safety, and while I am not an officer, I work with officers quite often. In fact, three of my coworkers who I work with everyday are former officers.

Very often, cops will pull you over simply to get a closer look at you, and what you're doing. If you're acting in a suspicious manner, they'll find a reason to pull you over. They act based on their gut feelings, judgement, and reasoning based on history. It's rare to find an officer who is legitimately out to get you for breaking the tint laws. I won't say they don't exist, but its rare. More than likely, the officer saw the OP break, or nearly break, a traffic law and that combined with the dark tint warranted a closer look at the individual and his potential criminal history.

Also keep in mind that agencies don't really make all that money on traffic citations, especially when you figure in court costs, paperwork costs, costs for the officer to appear (which traditionally warranted overtime, but that is becoming increasingly rare, at least where I work). One of my coworkers said that their former small town agency once determined that they actually were losing ~$5 per standard citation that they wrote.

Yes, getting tickets sucks! But 90% of the time, it's our own fault. Being polite and respectful to the officer is the right thing to do, but you should do that to anyone. It doesn't mean it should excuse the fact that you broke the law.

I'm no saint on the road, but I do drive in a safe manner, and when I do open up the throttle I try and do it in as safe of way as possible. It's a risk/reward scenario. Are you willing to drive around with darker than legal tint and risk a ticket for the "reward" of your ride looking like you want it? If you make that choice, you can't really fault anyone but yourself when that risk comes to fruition.

Don't want a ticket? Don't break the law. Don't like the law? Write your representative. I for one accept the occasional risk. If I get a ticket, well, that's the price I pay for fun!

Quick Reply: Tip of the Day