Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by goodfun_gt
If you have tint darker than the legal limit of 35% in Las Vegas and don't want to have it stripped, ALWAYS roll down your windows when you see a motorcycle officer. He, officer Gibbs, a.k.a. a**hole of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, informed me that motorcycle police are the only ones with tint meters.

Let's take this back to how I got pulled over. Roughly 6pm, sun is down, coming up to an intersection making a left turn at normal speed, and just as I entered, the light turned yellow and by the time it turned red I was still in the intersection two car lengths from clearing because the vehicle out front was turning in to the gas station. In an attempt to get the f**k out of the way of traffic, and the officer was in front of said traffic, I moved closer to the vehicle in front of me - no where near colliding with his bumper, I wouldn't risk damaging my car.

As soon as I cleared the intersection, he turned right behind me and lit me up. I was nothing but kind and fully cooperative with the officer and I had a few questions for him regarding the location I have to go to have my window tint approved when I get it replaced, but he wanted to walk away like he could not spare one minute of his precious time to give me the address that is no where located on the citation.

My first violation is "Red traffic signal - position and method" and below that the officer wrote under witnessed "Facing red signal, failed to stop eastbound to northbound."

The second violation is for tint which I don't know why there are tint laws in the first place. I can point out a dozen cars a day that have illegal tint and officers let them drive by so I'm guessing they need another reason to pull you over such as, in my case "running a red light" otherwise they would look stupid for pulling someone over for allegedly having too dark of a tint to find out its' percentage is legal.

Also, I thought for sure the officer was going to say something about my exhaust (Bassani Catback) as soon as I fired it up.

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant. I'm thankful I didn't receive a ticket and I knew the risk involved with my 15% tint so now I have to replace it. Can you guys post pics of your car with 35% up front, preferably black exterior with black interior. Thank you.
So you're mad cos you failed to stop when turning right at a red light (moving violation) and the cop at that point decided to check out your questionable tint? That's your fault in the first place and the second place. You knew it was illegal to have tint that dark.

Moving violation > equipment infraction on a non-critical part.

And yes, things like dark tint and tinted head lights/tailights by themselves won't usually get you stopped but you better bet they will cite you if there are any combination of reasons to pull you over. Call it a collateral citation (like collateral damage).
Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

5% or go home!! Just be knowledgeable of where you are and roll the windows down when you are next to officers...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/IN/
http://tintlaws.com/laws/IN/

Pretty sure Indiana is 30% for the most part too. Some more rural locales are known to be very lenient but in general they will ticket you for the tint if they have you already pulled over for something else.

I think pascal is right about the debt being a primary reason lately, I see cops hiding more often lately to ticket people on the interstate... What is the point of hiding? Isn't that counter intuitive to an important purpose of patrols, to give a clear show of safety, and keep people from committing the crimes in the first place?
Wow! I've had police officers tell me different... Ahh oh well. I supposed there has always been a difference between written law and enforced law
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
I'm lucky to be in Oklahoma as far as auto laws go. No sound dB limit, no tint limit (i think), and no emissions testing. WEEE

edit:

Lucky.... I live in California where everything is illegal on cars!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
So you're mad cos you failed to stop when turning right at a red light (moving violation) and the cop at that point decided to check out your questionable tint? That's your fault in the first place and the second place. You knew it was illegal to have tint that dark.

Moving violation > equipment infraction on a non-critical part.

And yes, things like dark tint and tinted head lights/tailights by themselves won't usually get you stopped but you better bet they will cite you if there are any combination of reasons to pull you over. Call it a collateral citation (like collateral damage).
He said in his original post that he was making a LEFT turn, not a right
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
He said in his original post that he was making a LEFT turn, not a right
Double fail because I also stated that the light turned yellow just as I entered the intersection.

What upset me the most was that he didn't want to spare one minute to answer two questions I had.

I can understand writing me on the tint but the red light? Officer was of older age, probably close to retirement. Karma's a b***h, so maybe retirement will come early...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Some cops are like that. And unless you have refutable evidence (i.e. a video recording) of the light turning yellow while you are already in the intersection, the judge will in many cases assume you were not in the intersection yet when it turned yellow.

I agree though, the cop should have at the very least tried to point you in the right direction for your questions, or if he didn't know, just been straight up honest and said "I don't know, you will have to ask the courthouse when you show up to take care of your citation."

Most law enforcement agencies and departments on a nationwide scale are really trying to put a positive view of their police forces by making all their officers practice courtesy, even with difficult drivers they stop. I am surprised this old guy was not practicing that training he received, regardless of how long he has been in law enforcement.