Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GT is burning up alternators

Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
rob johnson

Default 2006 GT is burning up alternators

Help. 2006 GT is going through alternators about every six months, third one so far. Just replaced last night and engine light is back on and idling a touch lower than usual. Has cold air intake, Diablo chip.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Dang, that sucks... Ok I'm no mechanic, but there are 3 things I think could cause this. 1) Bad brand of alternators, 2) under drive pulley, or 3) bad battery. This is how my thinking is going...

A) Perhaps the brand of alternator you have been buying is junk. Potentially try a different brand.

B) The alternator is turned and generates power that is output to the rest of the car (output only). The speed of the rotation is dictated by the rpm of the engine and compounded by the crank pulley. An underdrive pulley would affect this rotational speed.
If you do not have an aftermarket pulley on it, then it should be theoretically be turned at the appropriate speed to generate enough output.

C) A bad battery (bad cell) could cause the alternator to fry itself from what I have read here, but this is once again a recollection not based on actual knowledge.

Have you considered any of the above? If so, what did you determine?

Don
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM
rob johnson

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Dang, that sucks... Ok I'm no mechanic, but there are 3 things I think could cause this. 1) Bad brand of alternators, 2) under drive pulley, or 3) bad battery. This is how my thinking is going...

A) Perhaps the brand of alternator you have been buying is junk. Potentially try a different brand.

B) The alternator is turned and generates power that is output to the rest of the car (output only). The speed of the rotation is dictated by the rpm of the engine and compounded by the crank pulley. An underdrive pulley would affect this rotational speed.
If you do not have an aftermarket pulley on it, then it should be theoretically be turned at the appropriate speed to generate enough output.

C) A bad battery (bad cell) could cause the alternator to fry itself from what I have read here, but this is once again a recollection not based on actual knowledge.

Have you considered any of the above? If so, what did you determine?

Don
hey Don, thanks. brand new battery last time around...but when I bought the car, along with some other modifications, he did mention he replaced aftermarket pulleys. unfortunately it has been a few years and dont have his contact info any longer. any idea how to tes this theory? I am looking online now to see how to check engine codes without hooking to a computer, believe it can be done with key in ignition turning so many times, etc. What a pain. What drives me crazy is that the last two times, there was no indication for a year, etc, this time the check engine light came right back on the morning! thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a big stereo system?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, big stereo?
And which Diablo 'chip' do you have again?
Buy a good aternator and not one of those
remanufactured pieces of parts store sheit.
www.PAPerformance.com ForTheWin.
Problem solved...

If you want to check the alternators speed,
here is a pully calculator...
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
rob johnson

no, just the stock stereo...figured the first go around might be a bad alternator, but now replacing the third one seems like there is some other electrical/power issue. thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Do you have the handheld Diablo tuner? did he give it to you when you bought the car? Because you can plug them in and they will give you more info on codes that you are throwing.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM
rob johnson

Originally Posted by Maraman
Do you have the handheld Diablo tuner? did he give it to you when you bought the car? Because you can plug them in and they will give you more info on codes that you are throwing.
yeah, sure do, just gotta find it..never used it, is it pretty user friendly? Just plug into computer? turn ket on? will it walk me through it? thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Maybe this isn't entirely true, but i've heard that if you run it at WOT for like 6 straight seconds, then the alternator will continuously run until the car is shut off. Do you run the car really hard. Probably more-so at higher speeds where you are at WOT for a lengthy period of time?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

it plugs in below the steering wheel, just turn the key, you dont start the car.

this thread has alot of good faq's with information on tuners as well, you could also do a google search.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ead-first.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 GT is burning up alternators