Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom tubes + prochamber anyone? legality question too

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Boom tubes + prochamber anyone? legality question too

I heard one clip of boom tubes and an o/r prochamber and it sound pretty beastly but it wasnt a great recording. Has anyone heard this particular setup? How much louder will it be then just the boom tubes and stock H? I would like a bit of a sound increase but not too much.

Also, what is the law governing the removal of cats? I read somewhere that its a felony but I know lots of people have done it. I have to have them for emissions but I have no problem swapping out my midpipe once a year.
... or just weld on some fake cats?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I don't know anyone thats been charged with a felony for not having cats, I'm not saying you can't be but I've just never seen it, I'd either put high flow cats on the prochamber or just switch it out for the stock h for testing. I heard one video on youtube with the boomtubes/prochamber combo and I liked it. It will definitely be louder but I don't think it will be crazy loud.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Here's a video of my car way back when I had the boomtubes. http://www.youtube.com/user/MarcusK4...10/j2sJKJBTD4k

The o/r prochamber is louder than the stock H for sure but not it's bad. If you go this route then I'd suggest getting resonators to prevent trumpeting at WOT. I used Dynomax race bullets for the resonators. You can get those from Summit Racing for about 40 bucks each.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

I have the Boomtubes and the o/r prochamber with the stock headers I love the sound I get compliments all the time as for legal no but here in florida I dont have to worry about inspections so but for two years I love the set up the prochamber will definatly give you the deeper sound not the tin can sound when you step on it but the drone at 80 or above it can get to certain sensitive ears not mine but some passengers that have driven with me.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Oh sorry but if want to have another great sound do a o/r h-pipe with high flow cats and the boomtubes I've heard also is a nice setup because the pro chamber with cats even with a muffler delete you might as well sleave the stock setup on.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I know it is a Federal law under USC Title 42, Chapter 85 that requires all auto makers to manufacture cars with emissions controls.
The clean air act, which became Title 42, Chapter 85, I believe was originally written with agriculture in mind, with the thought that pollution would destroy farming.

Except for fines, I do not know if penalties are prescribed by USC, but I do know penalties are enforced on the state level. For example, in my state, which does require vehicle inspection of emissions equipment, if you are caught tampering with them, I believe the lowest penalties begin with class C or B misdeameanors. I do not know if they go any higher or into the state level of felonies.

I know in Texas, most counties do not require a sniff test, just a visual inspection to see that all the emissions controls are present and are hooked up. And I had friends with older cars, from the 70's & 80s, dismount their cats, pour out the cat pellets or punch out the cat honeycomb, and remount the empty shells back on their cars and pass the vehicle inspections.

But in the Texas counties defined as nonattainment by Federal EPA standards, the same USC Title 42, Chapter 85 mentioned above, those poor guys have to do an OBD plug-in and sniff test. So going with empty cat shells in those places will result in failure of the emissions portion of the vehicle inspection.

I don't know if Georgia even does a vehicle inspection, much less emissions testing. If they do not, the only way anyone would know you are missing cats is if someone crawls under your car to make sure they are there.
Is it a felony? I don't know, you would have to check your state laws.

EDIT: I forgot to add: USC Title 42, Chapter 85 also defines noise level standards under noise pollution. However, Georgia laws might have conditions a little more stringent than what is allowed under USC Title 42, Chapter 85.
Again, you would have to check to see what your state laws require for noise level.
Otherwise, I assume that the Federal noise pollution standard is in effect.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 12-04-2011 at 01:55 PM.