Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new Edition to the 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chuck biscuits
They can design this... but no glove box light in my 08? Not that I really care but...
+1 and no trunk release? Seriously? I know my car is an older model but c'mon this isn't 1960
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
What I would like is a tachomoter that not only displays engine RPM, but also transmission RPM so you can better easily rev match your engine to the tranny to get better shifts by visually seeing what is directly happening.

Today, you have to guestimate your tranny RPM by looking at your tach RPM against your speed
Originally Posted by MrSandman
Now THAT'S a good idea!!
This is what I have in mind:

The Red needle indicates engine RPM.
The Blue needle indicates transmission input shaft RPM.

When both the red and blue needles line up, release the clutch for an exactly RPM matched shift.

In the example of this picture, the transmission input shaft is turning way high. The engine RPM is falling fast towards idle RPM.
To prevent a massive jolt, you would have to step on the gas to get the red needle to where the blue needle is and then let go of the clutch pedal.

Or, as an alternative, if you let the clutch slip a little, release the clutch pedal within plus or minus 250 RPM of where the blue needle is to get the same smooth shift.

Now this is something I wish all car makers did, but sadly, absolutely none do.
With such a gauge aiding you, it can become possible to eventually learn to time your clutch releases such that you eliminate the need to slip the clutch altogether
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
This is what I have in mind:

The Red needle indicates engine RPM.
The Blue needle indicates transmission input shaft RPM.

When both the red and blue needles line up, release the clutch for an exactly RPM matched shift.

In the example of this picture, the transmission input shaft is turning way high. The engine RPM is falling fast towards idle RPM.
To prevent a massive jolt, you would have to step on the gas to get the red needle to where the blue needle is and then let go of the clutch pedal.

Or, as an alternative, if you let the clutch slip a little, release the clutch pedal within plus or minus 250 RPM of where the blue needle is to get the same smooth shift.

Now this is something I wish all car makers did, but sadly, absolutely none do.
With such a gauge aiding you, it can become possible to eventually learn to time your clutch releases such that you eliminate the need to slip the clutch altogether
Hell I was thinking about this a few weeks ago how there needs to be something to help rev matching without guessing.
Any aftermarket manufacturers possibly able to come up with a solution? If they could come up with a reliable option I'm sure they would get alot of business. (until car company's do it stock)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I have yet to see any aftermarket guys do such a thing. I wish someone would.

And my idea is not difficult to execute: just use two RPM motors in a coaxial manner:
You use a larger diameter tube for one needle and a solid shaft of smaller diameter inside the tube for the other needle.
This is just in an analogue mechanical clock.

Alternatively, to eliminate moving parts, you can represent digitally in an analogue manner two needles on a display screen that is the tachometer dial face.

The other piece of equipment that would need to be added is sensing equipment that needs to be mounted onto the tranny input shaft to measure its RPM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea I know the concept isnt difficult to grasp.
but the execution of it in a reliable(and preferably not to expensive) aftermarket addition would be where the problems are
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Another thing I thought of: to save money by eliminating the need for sensing equipment on the input shaft, you could use the output shaft RPMs, which is what your speedometer uses anyway.
For each gear inside your tranny, you would just need to write software to calculate the input shaft RPM.

The formula is:
input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM * gear ratio of what gear you are in.

For example: I am using a tr3650 transmission, 3.38:1 st gear model
In 1st gear, input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM * 3.38
In 2nd gear, input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM * 2.00
In 3rd gear, input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM * 1.32
In 4th gear, input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM This is because 4th gear is your 1:1 gear
In 5th gear, input shaft RPM = output shaft RPM * 0.67
Some TR3650 trannies have a 0.62:1 overdrive, so replace 0.67 with 0.62 for the 5th gear calculation
Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
mhass350

Over the weekend I looked at a pre-owned 2011 CS/GT with Auto, Nav & Comfort Package, so I know the original sticker was pushing $40k. I loved it (the rear window louver was a bit much for my taste - easily removed) but was very suprised to find it had no power tilt/telescoping steering column, power seatback or memory seats.

I know purists will say it is a Mustang shouldn't have all of these "comfort features" (nav, heated seats, bluetooth) but I disagree. I want to be comfortable when I'm driving. Perhaps, make those options part of the Comfort Package, one can hope. I love my '88 5.0 but there are no cupholders which makes for a tough ride into work when having to show IDs at the gate, having my coffee and shifting...

I too think the pony puddle light is a bit silly. Regular puddle lights however are nice.

I can do without the HUD.

I do like the new tails, the fact that HiDs are now standard and the 4.5" LCD screen in the middle of the guage cluster with track preferences... very similar to the new SRT8s. I am not sure whether I would use the +/- feature with an auto but it seems silly not to have it. I'm interested to see the new wheel lineup.

+1 for the notion of paddle shifters.

Overall I am happy with the small changes I have seen so far on the 2013. I've been looking at pre-owned 2011s and new 2012s and I can't really find with the options I want and with what I've seen it looks like instead of ordering a 2012 and receiving it in March I will wait and order a 2013 and get it May/June.

Speaking of that, has anyone read or heard when ordering for the 2013s will open up? I imagine sometime in February or March 2012. I just hope it is not the same cluster that I went through when I ordered my 2011 Grand Cherokee in August 2010.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

February or March next year sounds about right. I guess that it has to all do with what the factory queues have. Foe example, if X factory has an order of XX 2012 cars they still have to make, the factory manager will give a quote to corporate and let them know when he is done with the order. Based on that, corporate HQ then makes plans on when ordering for the next year models can begin to have orders placed for them.

I think historically, late February is when the next model year orders begin to be taken.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
+1 and no trunk release? Seriously? I know my car is an older model but c'mon this isn't 1960
^that....

Not a fan for the light, neat idea and am sure it will appeal to someone

But definitely +1 on the HUD