MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Got my first ticket in my 'stang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/659411-got-my-first-ticket-in-my-stang.html)

SirDrums 12-13-2011 04:14 PM

Got my first ticket in my 'stang

Got a ticket last week and man I am still peeved about it. Thought I would share it with y'all and start a discusion about it and tickets you recieved that seemed unfair.

There is this section of interstate where I live that is under construction, they started on it about 2-3 years ago.

I drive this road everyday and they look to be completley done. About 3 months ago they removed all the construction barrels off the road and I have not seen one truck or construction worker on it. I mean it done. New level black top, clear emergency lanes etc... its looks like a normal part of the interstate now.. actually better..the only thing left there is a sign that says it still says its a construction zone.

The posted speed limit is 55 but since there is no work going on for the last several months peoples speeds have crept up to about normal highway speeds (70). Everyone including me was thinking they just havent taken the signs down yet.

Well I was traveling to work and was going with the flow of traffic, heck, I was being passed up at times. All of a sudden this state trooper in a unmarked charger flies in front of me hits me with his rear facing radar (found that out later) goes into the emergency lane then back into traffic behind me and proceeds to pull me over. Tells me I was doing 70 in a 55 mph construction zone, writes me a ticket and off he goes and I am left sitting there look at this ticket saying to myself "what friggin contruction zone?"

Well of course I am now driving 55 through there as no to get another ticket but its scary, there isn't one person, not one, that doesnt pass me up at about 70 mph. I am literally getting tailgated by friggin church vans!

Almost everyone that I tell this too says I was singled out of the herd because I was driving a Mustang. Maybe that is true but it doesn't make me feel any better.

I am concerened about what it will do to my insurance since the ticket says I was speeding in a construction zone (No workers present).

Darn.. talk about bad luck... and right before Chrstmas too.

mustang0672 12-13-2011 04:20 PM

You most likely were singled out because you were driving a mustang.
Out of all the cars on the road who do you think they are going to pull over a soccer mom in a mini van or a guy in a mustang? Its clear which one...it is sad cops judge by this but it is true. My brother got pulled over in his corvette for not using a turn signal when the car behind him didn't use theirs either. The cop sped up and pulled him over instead of the old raggity truck behind him.

ANOTHER reason why no matter is workers are present or not that construction zone sign holds the posted speed limit. Yes, it doesn't seem fair he pulled you over and no one else but I'm sure he is pulling over tons of other mustangs, camaros, and vettes.

kevilay 12-13-2011 04:21 PM

Get a Traffic lawyer and fight it. My lawyer cost me 500 they settled my ticket. I had a 5point careless driving charge that they settled for 0point interfering with traffic. In the end it very slightly effected my insurance. The ticket was reduced from 400 to 200. That one paid 1/3 of the lawyer

modru2004 12-13-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SirDrums (Post 7776643)
Got a ticket last week and man I am still peeved about it. Thought I would share it with y'all and start a discusion about it and tickets you recieved that seemed unfair.

There is this section of interstate where I live that is under construction, they started on it about 2-3 years ago.

I drive this road everyday and they look to be completley done. About 3 months ago they removed all the construction barrels off the road and I have not seen one truck or construction worker on it. I mean it done. New level black top, clear emergency lanes etc... its looks like a normal part of the interstate now.. actually better..the only thing left there is a sign that says it still says its a construction zone.

The posted speed limit is 55 but since there is no work going on for the last several months peoples speeds have crept up to about normal highway speeds (70). Everyone including me was thinking they just havent taken the signs down yet.

Well I was traveling to work and was going with the flow of traffic, heck, I was being passed up at times. All of a sudden this state trooper in a unmarked charger flies in front of me hits me with his rear facing radar (found that out later) goes into the emergency lane then back into traffic behind me and proceeds to pull me over. Tells me I was doing 70 in a 55 mph construction zone, writes me a ticket and off he goes and I am left sitting there look at this ticket saying to myself "what friggin contruction zone?"

Well of course I am now driving 55 through there as no to get another ticket but its scary, there isn't one person, not one, that doesnt pass me up at about 70 mph. I am literally getting tailgated by friggin church vans!

Almost everyone that I tell this too says I was singled out of the herd because I was driving a Mustang. Maybe that is true but it doesn't make me feel any better.

I am concerened about what it will do to my insurance since the ticket says I was speeding in a construction zone (No workers present).

Darn.. talk about bad luck... and right before Chrstmas too.

this doesn't make sense to me. why would he get in front of you to hit you with "rear facing radar". its my understanding they can do it from the front too, at least the ones here can.

also in order for him to fly by you (who was going 70mph) he had to be going much faster and im assuming his lights weren't on when he got in front? then that was dangerous and illegal.

i would contest it and make the sob show up in court and explain his actions. also if you can find out and verify that construction is complete in that area and that the signs were merely forgotten that might help too.

SirDrums 12-13-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by modru2004 (Post 7776663)
this doesn't make sense to me. why would he get in front of you to hit you with "rear facing radar". its my understanding they can do it from the front too, at least the ones here can.

also in order for him to fly by you (who was going 70mph) he had to be going much faster and im assuming his lights weren't on when he got in front? then that was dangerous and illegal.

i would contest it and make the sob show up in court and explain his actions. also if you can find out and verify that construction is complete in that area and that the signs were merely forgotten that might help too.

His lights didnt come on until after he went into the emergency lane.

The only reason a can think of that he got me with rear facing radar was that I was near the front of a pack of cars.

I have thought about contesting it but all the judge will have to do is ask:

"Where you in a construction zone?"

"Yes..."

"Where you going over 55?"

"Yes..."

"Case closed."

Chromeshadow 12-13-2011 04:40 PM

I'd check every detail on the signs and anything else:
The fine is only double if the construction people where working.

(a) The State Department of Transportation may set the speed limits in urban and rural construction zones along state and interstate highways and the county commission of a county may set the speed limits in urban and rural construction zones along county roads or highways. The construction zone speed limits shall be posted on the department's standard size speed limit signs at least one hundred feet in advance of the entrance to a construction zone. Law enforcement authorities shall enforce construction zone speed limits. Upon conviction of a construction zone speed violation, the operator of the motor vehicle shall be assessed a fine of double the amount prescribed by law outside a construction zone. The fine shall only be doubled for construction zone violations if construction personnel are present and that fact is indicated by appropriate signs. The signs, placed a(a) The State Department of Transportation may set the speed limits in urban and rural construction zones along state and interstate highways and the county commission of a county may set the speed limits in urban and rural construction zones along county roads or highways. The construction zone speed limits shall be posted on the department's standard size speed limit signs at least one hundred feet in advance of the entrance to a construction zone. Law enforcement authorities shall enforce construction zone speed limits. Upon conviction of a construction zone speed violation, the operator of the motor vehicle shall be assessed a fine of double the amount prescribed by law outside a construction zone. The fine shall only be doubled for construction zone violations if construction personnel are present and that fact is indicated by appropriate signs. The signs, placed at the entrance of the construction zone, shall warn of the doubled fines for speeding within a construction zone. The signs shall also state that the doubled fines are applicable only when construction personnel are present.t the entrance of the construction zone, shall warn of the doubled fines for speeding within a construction zone. The signs shall also state that the doubled fines are applicable only when construction personnel are present.

Good Luck

kevilay 12-13-2011 04:47 PM

I would think they would settle to avoid court time. You might be surprised. I would go with the arguement that you thought construction was done because it was all cleaned and you were going with the flow of traffic which was 70mph. However if you were infront of a pack that always looks bad.

Call a traffic lawyer. He will tell you what he can do. Mine had a contract saying my points would be reduced to 0 points or i woldnt be charged by the lawyer.

Young_Gun 12-13-2011 04:48 PM

I don't know about where you live, but, where I am, if you can't see the sign, it isn't posted properly and you don't have to follow it. Of course, if the sign wasn't posted properly but what it said was pure common sense, they'll still slap you with a fine.

In your case it sounds like you could say, since the roads were 100% clear, that you didn't see the sign.

I have the opposite issue. My road is under "construction" and they DIDN'T mark it as a construction zone. I found out the hard way. I was driving 50mph (40 zone but it's an unspoken rule that you won't get ticketed for speeding on a back road unless there's traffic) and all of a sudden it sounded like someone was shooting a machine pistol in my trunk. They had the road COVERED in pea gravel. Thankfully the wheel well took all the flak and there is no visible damage.

aaquib1992 12-13-2011 04:50 PM

Yeah sounds like you were singled out for your car. Others will argue with you on that to their last breath but it's more than likely that he saw you at the head of a pack (big no no), and saw the shiny blue sports car and said "there's my target".

His pull over method sounds aggressive at best, and downright irresponsible, dangerous, and unnecessary at worst. Take it to court. You may not win, but at least you can try.

My mother took a ticket to court about my little sister not being "fully restrained" in her booster seat once. My mom was running late one day, forgot to bolt down the third strap (on the left) and she left her driveway.

Motorcycle cop pulls her over after following her out of the subdivision and actually passing her on a one lane road (dotted line, but still dangerous considering no one usually does the passing thing around that road). IMO it was strange behavior and he did it because he wanted an inside view of her car so he could find SOMETHING to pull her over for.

modru2004 12-13-2011 04:57 PM

i haven't it found it for alabama but heres an excerpt from colorados law

42-4-614. Designation of highway maintenance, repair, or construction zones - signs - increase in penalties for speeding violations. (1) (a) If maintenance, repair, or construction activities are occurring or will be occurring occur within four hours on a portion of a state highway, the department of transportation may designate such portion of the highway as a highway maintenance, repair, or construction zone. Any person who commits certain violations listed in section 42-4-1701 (4) in a maintenance, repair, or construction zone that is designated pursuant to this section is subject to the increased penalties and surcharges imposed by section 42-4-1701 (4) (c).

i would suspect that Alabama's laws may differ somewhat but should be similar. need to find it to be sure, but if it is like Colorado's law then you can make the case that it WAS NOT a construction zone.