Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying noice..need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Default Annoying noice..need help!

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if any of you had this before. When I was driving on the road, I noticed there was a ticking noice in any gear. It get more frequent at higher speed. This doesn't happen while idle or rev. And when the RPM reaches around 2.5k- 3k, I heard a rubbing noice. It doesn't last long, but happens every time the RPM hits 3k. Anyone know's what's wrong with it?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Did you have your windows open at the time? Did it sound like it was coming from under the hood or maybe under the car? I have had small pebbles lodged in the tread of my tires before that would make a ticking sound when driving down the road... I usually have the windows down so that is when it is most noticeable. And it sounded like it increased with the RPMs too, but the speed increased with the RPMs and so did the revolutions of the tire...

Don
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Did you have your windows open at the time? Did it sound like it was coming from under the hood or maybe under the car? I have had small pebbles lodged in the tread of my tires before that would make a ticking sound when driving down the road... I usually have the windows down so that is when it is most noticeable. And it sounded like it increased with the RPMs too, but the speed increased with the RPMs and so did the revolutions of the tire...

Don
It's from under the car. I could hear both noice no matter with window up or down. I just replace all 4 break rotors and the shop did check all breaks and there was no problem with them. The rubbing noice sounds like there's something is dragging under the car.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I had a metal to metal sound sound on my 06, was louder when driving next to other cars/sidestreets/bridges because the sound would echo. I had the brakes, calipers, rotars replaced several times. Turned out to be a bent axle. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
I had a metal to metal sound sound on my 06, was louder when driving next to other cars/sidestreets/bridges because the sound would echo. I had the brakes, calipers, rotars replaced several times. Turned out to be a bent axle. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
So should I take it to ford? I think my 5 years warranty is gone tho.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rainson
So should I take it to ford? I think my 5 years warranty is gone tho.
I don't know how the stealerships in your area are and your warranty is up, but if it were me, I'd rather take my car to a reputable suspension shop/body shop than the stealer. They may have more experience dealing with sounds that might be suspension related. As far as dealerships, I have not had great experiences with them. Can you tell?

And before someone puts in their "why not figure it out yourself" I can empathize if you have no time, inclination, technical know-how, etc. Chasing down noises that you don't know exactly where they are coming from can be frustrating.

Good luck,
Don
Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I don't know how the stealerships in your area are and your warranty is up, but if it were me, I'd rather take my car to a reputable suspension shop/body shop than the stealer. They may have more experience dealing with sounds that might be suspension related. As far as dealerships, I have not had great experiences with them. Can you tell?

And before someone puts in their "why not figure it out yourself" I can empathize if you have no time, inclination, technical know-how, etc. Chasing down noises that you don't know exactly where they are coming from can be frustrating.

Good luck,
Don

Hell yeah. I can tell the dealership near my house is the worst Ford dealder ever.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

What area are you in again? I'm in Harrison Township, maybe we could meet up and I could hear to see if it was a similar noise that I was getting in mine. PM me your cell if you want.

Your warranty is gone so ford wont be able to help you out, are you about to post a vid with the noise so maybe someone can chime in?

Perhaps a suspension should might be able to help like BigDin said.