MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Supercharging a 'Vert (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/660481-supercharging-a-vert.html)

LaserGT 12-30-2011 08:53 PM

Supercharging a 'Vert

I picked up an issue of MM & FF tonight and I saw an ad for the new Paxton S/C. It claims that it produces 600 hp at the flywheel at only 8 pounds of boost. Well that gets me to start dreaming. My question is, what would I need to do to reinforce the chassis for that much additional power?

onederful100 12-30-2011 09:58 PM

you dont need to reinforce anything.
but if you are worried about body twisting, you can add subframe connectors and a roll cage.
but a roll cage isn't too street friendly. but depends on the # of points on the cage.
but if you want to add the SC, you can do that without anything else.

daredevil95 12-30-2011 10:57 PM

The vert's frame are pretty strong to begin with, you wouldn't have to do anything to beef up the frame. If you plan on taking it down the track, most tracks will insist on a roll cage for any verts running 13.50 and faster, which you are probably already at or faster. Research different types of centrifugal and whipple type superchargers, you may prefer a whipple type after doing some research. There are a ton options for supercharging. Good luck.

LaserGT 12-30-2011 11:07 PM

If I were to drive it that hard where I'd cause body twist then I'd better park the Stang. :icon_doh: Thanks for the info, that's good to know I don't have to do anything with the chassis if I get more power.

LaserGT 12-30-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil95 (Post 7792314)
The vert's frame are pretty strong to begin with, you wouldn't have to do anything to beef up the frame. If you plan on taking it down the track, most tracks will insist on a roll cage for any verts running 13.50 and faster, which you are probably already at or faster. Research different types of centrifugal and whipple type superchargers, you may prefer a whipple type after doing some research. There are a ton options for supercharging. Good luck.

Thanks. I wouldn't take it to the track but I'd just want to have more power under the hood (like who of us wouldn't). But is there a big difference between the centrifugal and whipple type S/C when it comes to the boost and when it kicks in? You'll have to excuse me because I'm a noob when it comes to superchargers.

danzcool 12-30-2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by LaserGT (Post 7792335)
...But is there a big difference between the centrifugal and whipple type S/C when it comes to the boost and when it kicks in? You'll have to excuse me because I'm a noob when it comes to superchargers.

Oh yeah.
Twin screw and TVS style superchargers have loads of torque at lower RPMs, but the centifugals have more power at high RPMs, so at 3000RPMs the whipple will have more power, at 6000RPMs the centrifugal will have more power, not sure where they tend to cross over though.

LaserGT 12-30-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by danzcool (Post 7792343)
Oh yeah.
Twin screw and TVS style superchargers have loads of torque at lower RPMs, but the centifugals have more power at high RPMs, so at 3000RPMs the whipple will have more power, at 6000RPMs the centrifugal will have more power, not sure where they tend to cross over though.

That's REALLY good to know. I'm looking more for the power to come in at the low end so it looks like the whipple type is the way I want to go. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been really helpful.

danzcool 12-31-2011 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by LaserGT (Post 7792348)
That's REALLY good to know. I'm looking more for the power to come in at the low end so it looks like the whipple type is the way I want to go. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been really helpful.

Of course, I know a guy who used a centrifugal and sprayed nitrous oxide at lower RPMs to overcome that issue... but that's getting a bit complex.