Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question? Why doesn't Ford advertise the Mustang 5.0 in TV ads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

They don't need to.
They only need to advertise the entry level cars because that's where the money is to be made.... and then when after someone has owned the V6 there's a reasonable chance they'll be hooked and move up when it's time for their next car.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saunupe1911
I was watching the bowl games and realized Ford doesn't advertise the Mustang 5.0 in TV ads or even magazines. They never even pushed it last year when the 2011's first emerged. They aggressively pushed the V6 with its 30 MPG and that's it. I honestly believe the current gen Camaro has outsold the Mustang because of it's product placement in Transformers and its advertising. Even Dodge has had some great Challenger RT/SRT8 commercials. I can't recall any 5.0 commercials. They should have advertised this thing like crazy and let everyone know the legend is back. This was a marketing/PR failure by Ford and cost them millions in sales.
You're right. Why isn't Ford pushing the GT more aggressively? They have lagged behind Camaro sales for most of 2011. That has NEVER happened.

Blockbuster movies are a good source of advertising as well. GM was wise to buy in on the Transformer series. That movie alone jumpstarted Camaro sales. GM has done it's part in advertising Camaro's in commercials, but the blockbuster movie helps push advertising over the edge.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

The same reason they don't advertise GT500's, Saleens and etc. Those cars are made for car enthusiasts and not general public. Enthusiasts know whats out there without needing advertisements to tell them.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
The same reason they don't advertise GT500's, Saleens and etc. Those cars are made for car enthusiasts and not general public. Enthusiasts know whats out there without needing advertisements to tell them.
This. Advertising is VERY expensive, most of the dealers I've been to only have one or two 5.0s on the lot. Apparently they sell just about every one they get.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drakefamily2
I think the only Mustang commercials i've seen were the ones about the new 3.7.
Big budget advertising is all about the demographic. Numbers say the v6 with good hp and gas milage is the likely sell...by the numbers.
Salesman are trained to upsell the 5.0 when the guy shows up to see the 6'er from the commercial.
As stated before, the demo that are performance minded will know the numbers without the ad...like can somebody tell the stock hp of a 2011 camero ss m/t?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

It seems to me that GM spent most of their baleout money on advertising while ford upgraded their engines and product.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Mustang V6 sales have always been the bread and butter of the mustang. You spend advertising dollars where it makes the most impact.

Don't forget that while the Camaro is outselling the Mustang right now, it was on a what...5 year hiatus while GM got their poop in a group? All of the Camaro fanboys were frothing at the mouth to get one so they'd quit getting their rears kicked by us. Over time, I think the sales will return to where the Mustang outsells the Camaro but only after the backlog is cleared. And of course it's cool to drive a movie car (transformers). Look at the Bullitt! But anyone who drives cars and is not brand loyal would buy a mustang over a camaro any day of the week. Just go frickin sit in one. You don't even need to drive it. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'4" and we both had problems seeing out of that car. It's a stupidly ridiculous design and I'm baffled why people fall for it. IMO - that Camaro is unsafe.

Last edited by wcgman; 01-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

The ratio of v6s on the road compared to GTs are staggeringly high from what I can tell just during daily commutes/errands. It is true that most people are looking to save money in the transportation area so they can afford to spend on their other habits in this bad economy. However, our hobby just happens to be invested in our daily or weekend transportation. Therefore, the v6 with 305hp and high mpg is the car to heavily advertise while the GT (like said before) is for more of an enthusiast who knows what the V8 is capable of and buys the car for that driving experience and engine numbers.

Not saying I wouldn't love to see some 5.0 commercials, but it's not the smartest move for Ford marketing to take.

I wonder how much GM paid Michael Bay to exclusively use cars manufactured by GM? Or is it a "here, take these cars for free and use them in your movie, no strings attached" deal?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
The ratio of v6s on the road compared to GTs are staggeringly high from what I can tell just during daily commutes/errands. It is true that most people are looking to save money in the transportation area so they can afford to spend on their other habits in this bad economy. However, our hobby just happens to be invested in our daily or weekend transportation. Therefore, the v6 with 305hp and high mpg is the car to heavily advertise while the GT (like said before) is for more of an enthusiast who knows what the V8 is capable of and buys the car for that driving experience and engine numbers.

Not saying I wouldn't love to see some 5.0 commercials, but it's not the smartest move for Ford marketing to take.

I wonder how much GM paid Michael Bay to exclusively use cars manufactured by GM? Or is it a "here, take these cars for free and use them in your movie, no strings attached" deal?
On the Fast and Furious 5, I know they were given some of the cars (esp. cop cars) for free and use them with little to no strings attached.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
This. Advertising is VERY expensive, most of the dealers I've been to only have one or two 5.0s on the lot. Apparently they sell just about every one they get.
I agree with this. When I was looking for a car all of the dealers pushed me into buying quickly because the 5.0's all were selling quickly. The dealer I bought my car from would sell them all quickly and have to wait a couple weeks for a new batch. But the v6 is the more popular model.

Quick Reply: Question? Why doesn't Ford advertise the Mustang 5.0 in TV ads?