Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 steering wheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Default GT500 steering wheel installed

First, I wanna start by saying Happy New Year to everyone. Best wishes to everyone this year .

Well I installed the GT500 steering wheel on Saturday. The install is very easy, it only took about 10 minutes of actual work after I had to run to a nearby auto parts store to buy the 24mm socket and an extension for the socket wrench. I have not installed my Pioneer AVIC-X930BT yet because I am waiting to see if Metra will release their new dash kit very soon. Anyway, here are some pics.

Ugly stock steering wheel

Beautiful GT500 steering wheel

Before I bought my 2010 V6, I had a 2005 V6 with the premium steering wheel, so when I got the 2010, the ugly steering wheel was the first thing I noticed about the car and I knew I had to get rid of it later on. I highly recommend the GT500 steering wheel for those who have any thoughts about doing so. It is a lot better looking, you get the look of a leather steering wheel, and I love how soft the suede feels to the touch. The feel is something I was underestimating the whole time, but after driving the car around it let me know that it was a mistake not doing this swap sooner. As most of you may have already heard, cruise control is still functional but the volume controls are not. I will update you guys on that after I install my head unit.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Looks fantastic! A very big upgrade to the interior. Is there a way to make the radio buttons work, or is it impossible?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
Looks fantastic! A very big upgrade to the interior. Is there a way to make the radio buttons work, or is it impossible?
Thank you! I've searched many forums and no one seems to have gotten those controls to work. It is believed that swapping the stock head unit over to the premium head unit or to an aftermarket one will allow those buttons to work. Like I said, no one seems to have done it yet so that's something I'll be finding out once I install my Pioneer unit.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

looks nice!
my v6 came with the premium steering wheel and auto shifter,

is there a reason it came with just those two things premium, but not the center console/door panels?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
looks nice!

is there a reason it came with just those two things premium, but not the center console/door panels?
What year is your Stang? Sorry, I can't view your info because I'm on the mobile version of the website. And are you the first owner? If you got it used, it may be possible that the previous owner(s) swapped it.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 PM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Very nice upgrade. The interior takes on a whole new look. Was the wiring the exact same match as the original?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
looks nice!

Because the popular IUP package had a second one released with just the steering wheel/shifter. It was designated like 13H or something like that (don't quote me on that lol), and it was supposed to be a second option for those who didn't want to full IUP upgrade.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

looks great, definately gonna be an upgrade for me in the future, since the top of my steering wheel is all crappy and eroded from sun damage. ive seen some go for about 150 on ebay, the mustang grant steering wheel. Where as other places sell for about 400-500; so you got a good deal. thanks for the post, happy new year
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WildAzCat
Very nice upgrade. The interior takes on a whole new look. Was the wiring the exact same match as the original?
Thank you! Yes, the wiring is the same. It has a wire for both the cruise control and the volume controls that you plug into the base once the other steering wheel is removed.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
looks great, definately gonna be an upgrade for me in the future, since the top of my steering wheel is all crappy and eroded from sun damage. ive seen some go for about 150 on ebay, the mustang grant steering wheel. Where as other places sell for about 400-500; so you got a good deal. thanks for the post, happy new year
Go for it! You won't regret it. Yeah, the lowest priced one I found was on partscheap.com for $360 +Shipping. I decided to check eBay and found this one brand new for $270. I love the look of the Grant steering wheel but I saw that you need the premium steering wheel for it because you have to swap the cruise control and volume/media buttons from the original premium steering wheel onto the Grant steering wheel. There's a video of it on YouTube.

Quick Reply: GT500 steering wheel installed