Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

OP sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation, I know you were looking for a great deal but there was just so many red flags in this situation and you should have walked.

And now your going to let a Honda dealer install cats on your car? Dude get out while you can.

Do this:

Take the car to a Ford dealer, and let them tell you what the car has doen to it so that you know and to get more info.

All new stangs come with a 3 year/36,000 mile waranty, even if the honda dealer tells you it dosn't have one. I cannot stress this enough, the waranty is not simply "gone" because the car is modded. Modding does not "void" your warranty. Dealerships can only deny to fix something on your car if they can prove a modification is to blame because of a fault with your vehicle. Sure because your car has been tuned if you were to blow a piston, the dealer could argue that since you altered the air/fuel ratio with a more aggressive tune then from the factory then that is what caused it to happen. But they cannot "void" your entire warranty. If a dealer tells you something different you tell them that they are wrong and ask to speak to the service manager. Its in the owners manual.

Check out the 5.0L Coyote tech section if you have any more questions.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...scussions-137/

Do some reasearch and read up on threads. There are alot reguarding warrantees, and alot of great information that may answer some of your questions.

Edit: quoted from Mishri

"Warranties can't be completely voided even when the dealerships tell you they are and it shows in their system as voided, the law still makes them cover any issues that weren't caused by your modification."

Last edited by Maraman; 01-05-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added quote from Mishri
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GM Supercar
God I hate it when people say that.
I hate saying it but that does lead me to this thread I just posted. Unfortunately I dont know latin well enough to translate Seller Beware. I'll just say that after I take my car in for any work, people tend to treat me really nice afterwards.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ml#post7798134
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
garner

You're probably sol unless you hire a lawyer
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

I thought most states have a law that allow 1-2 business days to renege on the contract. You can try contacting your local DA's office or the DMV, but you need to act quickly
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You don't have a case.
And don't hire a lawyer because it will cost you more than buying cats, lol.

You should have walked but it's too late now so maybe buy some aftermarket ones and have a muffler shop install them for you.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capaladj
Oh this cat is def tuned without cats since there is no cel and it has longtubes, but the cats can be fixed, the dealer said to bring it back and they would install it. What im most concerned about is the warrany they said I had, I even have it in writing that they said my warranty would be valid. the thing that voids the warranty is the supercharger that is on it.
I am glad the dealership at least fessed up to this part.

Since they say the car will pass Cali SMOG, the next step I would do if I were you is to demand the SMOG certificate that they as the dealership do.

In Texas, all cars, brand new (even straight from the factory), and used, when sold by any dealership, must pass emissions. (Well, in counties that require sniff testing).

I of course am assuming Cali requires ALL cars to be SMOG certified before even being put on the sales lot. Even though you do not have to sniff test it again for 5 years after you buy the car.
If this is true, your car should have a passing certificate.
And for the long tubes, they should have a CARB EO# with them if they were passed by SMOG prior to being put on the sales lot.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bones302
I thought most states have a law that allow 1-2 business days to renege on the contract. You can try contacting your local DA's office or the DMV, but you need to act quickly
That unfortunately is a state by state issue and not a Federal thing. In Texas, we have a 7day grace period, and some dealerships go above and beyond that and allow as long as 2weeks grace period.

As said by someone else above, he believes Cali does not have a grace period at all.

My personal opinion: it should be a universal Federal law that there 7day grace period be enacted and required in all states.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That unfortunately is a state by state issue and not a Federal thing. In Texas, we have a 7day grace period, and some dealerships go above and beyond that and allow as long as 2weeks grace period.

As said by someone else above, he believes Cali does not have a grace period at all.

My personal opinion: it should be a universal Federal law that there 7day grace period be enacted and required in all states.
California indeed has no grace period, once you sign the line you are locked in. However, if the car was not legal for sale then you have other options, the last thing the dealer wants is CARB breathing down their necks.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Yet another case where the OP would have been much better off had he come to the forums BEFORE the purchase.
Couldn't agree more.......
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You don't have a case.
And don't hire a lawyer because it will cost you more than buying cats, lol.

You should have walked but it's too late now so maybe buy some aftermarket ones and have a muffler shop install them for you.
+1^^

I agree with Pascal. Just go get some high flow cats, have them installed and chalk it up to a learning experience. I really hate it for you, but believe me, it happens to everyone at some point....just make sure to learn from it!

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Couldn't agree more.......
Good one Shella!

Quick Reply: dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?