Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 leftover 5.0 pricing advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lespah80
Yeah thats definitely one hell of a deal, but the issue is I can buy a 2012 for 29 and change. This ones a 2011 that has been there for over a year, so it would have to be less. Regardless, Ford's newest rebates for cash purchase on the 5.0's is pretty impressive.

Totally off subject - Hows your exhaust sound after the resonator delete? Of course I'm already looking at exhaust options in anticipation of buying a 5.0.
I don't see why the dealer wouldn't drop the price on that 2011, otherwise, they are going to have a heck of a time selling it.

What's the difference in options between the 2012 and 2011 which is attracting you to the 2011?

I had the resonators cut out and replaced with 3" tubing. I drove around like this for about a month with the stock mufflers. I noticed a bit of a change in the tone, but no difference in loudness. It was still way too quiet until I added the GT500 mufflers recently. Sounds good now. If you want loud, you may want to go with a different set of axle backs. Mine is not loud, but at least I can hear myself drive now.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

So heres the deal guys, I was gonna buy a used, low mileage 5.0, but I am exploring all avenues. My local ford dealer has a 2011 GT premium, silver/black, manual, etc. equipped how I want it. Stickers at 35. However, a comparably equipped 2012 has 3000 cash rebate. I am able to purchase one under 30 (invoice - rebates) today if I want.

My question is - they say make offer on the 2011 leftover. My offer can't be anywhere near 29,000, seeing as I can buy a new 2012 for that. Plus this 2011 has 400 miles. What offer should I consider?
Ok, I assume this is a car that just has been sitting a Ford dealership..With that in mind you can look at the original window sticker on the car and see when it was delivered. On the window sticker under where it says where it was built; it says the delivery date and to what dealership. This would give you info has to how long it has actually been sitting around and if it was a trade from another dealership. If it is not a Ford dealership check the glove compartment, usually they keep those window stickers.

I would aim lower on the price like around the 25-27K price range. I say this because the 2013 models are almost out. So basically it is a one year old car and two years old if you count model years. Also, cars that sit on lots are not a good thing. The tires get flat bottoms on them and things start to rust. It doesn’t get cleaned. Fluids aren’t circulated all that often. And the only times it has left the dealership was for test drives...That is usually people getting on the throttle the whole time or doing burnouts.

I would check EVERY nook and area of that car before negotiating or purchasing.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Ask the dealer what incentives are available for it compared to the 2012. I'm betting you can get ford 0% financing, which is worth a few thousand in itself.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Now that end of year incentives are over, they'll be much more pressed to make some kind of deal, with less foot-traffic coming in.
Knowing what deal/rebates are there helps.
If you can arrange outside financing ahead of time, that can save you some dough (Ford's rates are a little high, IMO).
You can make a reasonable offer, and they might get back to you after you leave, if they want your business.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Also you need to take into account that 2011 has a full year of additional depreciation, vs the 2012, so when you go to sell it, it will be worth several thousand less even in the same condition and mileage. I also think that the 2011 is the first year for the Coyote and the tranny so I would stay away for another reason. Good luck, This is a recession, Bargain like crazy, Go on Truvalue.com and make your best deal there. Then go to the dealer and say can you match it. If no go to the Truvalue dealer.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

bear in mind the 2013s are just a couple/few months out, they need to move that 11' SOON. : )
Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
lespah80
1st Gear Member

I really appreciate all the input guys - some really insightful comments.

I went to the dealer today to check it out, the girl I usually deal with was not there (most of the other guys are a - holes), so I left her a message. However, the other ford dealer nearby (where we bought an F-150 and a Taurus SHO) gave me a call today. Told me they will do invoice - rebates (perhaps even a bit under invoice) on a brand new 2012. Then they call me back and say that the manager's wife has been driving a 2012 GT premium (manual, comfort pack, 19" rims, Kona/Black) for just around 3000 miles as a demo untitled. Says they have the build sheets already on 2013's and really want to get rid of the 2012s. Were going to talk numbers tomorrow, but that sounds promising. I was not aware of the fixed tranny/clutch issues in 2012. Thats the last thing I need, I need a daily driver to put a ton of miles on (hence why im selling my GT500).

I will keep everyone updated on how tomorrow goes!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I really appreciate all the input guys - some really insightful comments.

I went to the dealer today to check it out, the girl I usually deal with was not there (most of the other guys are a - holes), so I left her a message. However, the other ford dealer nearby (where we bought an F-150 and a Taurus SHO) gave me a call today. Told me they will do invoice - rebates (perhaps even a bit under invoice) on a brand new 2012. Then they call me back and say that the manager's wife has been driving a 2012 GT premium (manual, comfort pack, 19" rims, Kona/Black) for just around 3000 miles as a demo untitled. Says they have the build sheets already on 2013's and really want to get rid of the 2012s. Were going to talk numbers tomorrow, but that sounds promising. I was not aware of the fixed tranny/clutch issues in 2012. Thats the last thing I need, I need a daily driver to put a ton of miles on (hence why im selling my GT500).

I will keep everyone updated on how tomorrow goes!
If you end up going for that 2012 that the wife has been driving, I'd really make sure to knock them around on the price. That's a used car whether they want to call it one or not. Good part is you still get incentives, but don't neglect those 3000 miles on there
Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

yes - don't let them sell you a car with 3000 miles at invoice. that's not a good deal. a good deal is a car with limited miles (less then 50 preferably), at invoice.

3000 miles is a used car. you may get all the benefits of new, but it is still used and the price should adjust accordingly.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Some states do have a law that says after so many miles a new car becomes used even if it's untitled. However, legally its probably still considered a new car. I wouldnt argue the point of new vs used, but you have a legitimate argument on a car thats been driven for 3000 miles untitled if they deal they are claiming isnt all that great. And regardless, you cant be 100% sure that "the bosses wife" put that 3k on that car. NEVER trust a car salesman. Your only assurance is are you going to be happy with a car that has that many miles on it and will your wallet/wife be happy.

Quick Reply: 2011 leftover 5.0 pricing advice