Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me price this new 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM
BammBamm

Arrow Please help me price this new 2011 GT

Hi all. New-kid-on-the-block-Bamm, here.

Once upon a time, circa 1982, my dad gave me his '65 'Stang. It was my first car, and I immediately proceeded to drive the #$%^ out of it. I cut my teeth on that 289 3-speed, and had more fun than you can shake a schtick at.

Fast-forward to today. There's a sweet little 2011 GT 6MT-equipped unit not too far from Bedrock, and I'd like to get some input from you fine folks as to what I ought to offer the dealership. They advertise it as being new, but it has 290 miles on it.

I haven't bought a new ride since '88, my negotiating skills are almost nonexistent, and I'd like to solicit your help in determining what I should shoot the dealer as an initial dollar amount.

Here's the sticker:

Here's what NADA says the invoice is (if I managed to correctly click all the options):

Okay. There it is. I fully realize that I'll be taking a bath on depreciation, but... oh well. I've done my research, and this is the one I want. Yes, there's a similar ride in the area that's priced slightly less, but it doesn't have the 3.73 diff. I could try to play the two car lots off each other, but I definitely want the shorter gears.

Any advice on how best to approach the sharks at the stealership would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ~ Bamm
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the mustang is not exactly a difficult car to get a hold of, much less for the way you want one configured.

that being said - it's a 2011 model, and the 2013 models are due in a couple of months here or less, even. it's likely been test driven a lot, that has got to be a rough few hundred miles. you should be able to cut a massive deal on that car. remind yourself this - it's two model years behind now, and someone's going to take a big hit, be it you or them. on top of that, the last I looked, there was a 1500$ rebate on 2012's.

start low - see how badly they want to move that car. I'd offer 26.5 and probably settle at 28. any more then that and it's not worth it. get a 2012. make sure this car wasn't purchased and returned, you want the perks of a new car, warranty etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

With those miles on it, chances are it was a demo car or the dealer used it as a personal car for some time... Don't let them sell it to you for anywhere NEAR that sticker price! Moreover, the 2013s (as said by Entaille) are just around the block, so the dealer will likely be begging to get that '11 model off the lot.

I would offer sub 29K and see where they go. If they say it's an outrageously low offer then turn around and walk out- they will follow you, but if they don't you always have other options. The 3.73 option was a popular one and MANY GTs on lot come with them. Shouldn't be too hard to find another one with those options.

Again, that is a practically used car with those miles on it. And being a demo car, those are probably miles where it was either driven like a paper car, or driven so hard the wheels almost fell off- not good for a new engine.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 01-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

^yup! when I was shopping for stangs, it seemed every lot had at least two of them with 3.73 rear gears. typically around a third of the GT's on the lot had them. it's a very common option.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 PM
BammBamm

Thumbs up Thanks, guys.

Large props to both of ya for the 4-1-1. My gut tells me to think twice about makin' a move on this particular ride. It's not inconceivable that this little unit has been run up against the rev limiter a time or two, under load. 290 miles on a "new" vehicle? Methinks the salesman may be using a little creative license when he tells me, over the phone, "Well, if twenty-or-so people take it out on ten-mile test drives, then you can understand why the odometer reads 290."

It doesn't take a "rocket surgeon" to put 2 & 2 together to come up with the REAL answer: She's likely been rode hard, and put away wet!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
MightyMike16

I wouldnt worry so much about the 290 miles. The car is essentially new and can be offered as such. It took me 4 months to find my 2011 w/ all the options I wanted. Not too many around on the lots here in NY.
I think 28K-29K would make for a nice deal.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
BammBamm

Cool

tnx, Mike... thank you for making my decision that much more difficult!

Another thing that's gnawin' at me is this: I've heard it's best to shy away from first-year offerings, in this case, it's the first year for the new 5-liter. I'd basically be yet another "guinea pig/beta-tester" for FoMoCo's latest 5.0 powerplant incarnation. I wonder if Ford has any "lessons learned" in implementing this bad boy...

Either way, I'm confident that whatever flavor of Mustang I choose will be the best bang for the buck. Call me crazy, but Ford seems to have nailed it with their latest steed.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BammBamm
tnx, Mike... thank you for making my decision that much more difficult!

Another thing that's gnawin' at me is this: I've heard it's best to shy away from first-year offerings, in this case, it's the first year for the new 5-liter. I'd basically be yet another "guinea pig/beta-tester" for FoMoCo's latest 5.0 powerplant incarnation. I wonder if Ford has any "lessons learned" in implementing this bad boy...

Either way, I'm confident that whatever flavor of Mustang I choose will be the best bang for the buck. Call me crazy, but Ford seems to have nailed it with their latest steed.

I would agree that 29-30K is a good amount for a brand new fresh on the lot 5.0L 2012. But this car has been sitting there for the better part of 1.5-2 years. The dealership is likely hurting about still having it on their lot, low ball them- you aren't hurting their feelings trust me.

The stealerships use every tactic to milk money out of you, why not use their medicine on them? lol. A car sitting on the lot like that will develop other problems too, such as flat spots and not being washed/waxed/detailed very often for a car left to the elements 24-7.

Keep looking, I am confident you will eventually find a better condition mustang with those options. Besides, looking is always fun too right? =)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
MightyMike16

I woudnt worry about the motor, BUT the 6M tranny.... That's another story.
Be comfortable with your decision. Dont rush. Shopping is half the fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
BammBamm

Decisions, decisions indeed.

What do you guys think about this viable option:

Now. Before you declare me to be 100% certifiably insane, I'm in a position (financially, anyway) to make good on owning this bad lad. Granted, there may be a little financing involved, but... who cares?

Besides: Ramen - Noodles - ROCK... amirite!?! ROTFLMAO!!

Quick Reply: Please help me price this new 2011 GT