Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illini4
Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It? No.
+1 NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

extended warranties are very rarely worth it. hell, any of the offers they try to get you to sign for after you agree on a price for the car is never worth it. they make so much money during this part of the transaction.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

The simple answer is NO. If you really want an extended warranty, don't buy it from the dealership. Do your own research and get the best deal you can.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It's useless if you have any intent in modding. Cancel it or trade it for the Ford ESP prepaid maintenance plan.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Read the fine prints and you'll realize that said warranty will rarely be applicable but the worse thing is when it's not issued by Ford but instead, a third party...
I've seen scams to where those companies were going out of business for no particular reasons so you got a warranty with someone that doesn't exist anymore. Nice.
Basically, they took the money out of thousands of people and bailed out of town.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Don't waist the money, spend it on an upgrade. Erik
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Those things are not much more than another money making scheme for the dealership.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

As said in several posts above mine, cancel the ESP or trade it in for a maintenance plan. The ESPs form any dealership, be it Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. are utterly useless and never worth the standard factory warranties.

The primary reason is as also already said by someone else above me: Any problems that will occur on your car will always occur within the factory warranty period.
Factory defects are often there as soon as you start the car and drive it.
Or if the defect is not noticed so soon, it will manifest itself in a matter of weeks.
Granted, there have been hype about early MT82s having problems, but as I found, just take it back in to the dealer and they will change the fluid as per the TSB for it and that will solve the problem for the vast majority of is (it fixed my shifting problems).

Also consider this: with ESPs, when your standard bumper to bumper expires, the vast majority of ESPs do not cover what problems arises. Again, someone else above me said it, and I agree with him 100%. For example, if your radio dies, only the highest and most expensive ESP would cover that.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
JimC

It all depends - my wife and I were both commuting 90+ miles a day so the manufacturer warranty was pretty much gone in the first year. So depending upon 1. how many miles you put on a car in a year, and 2. how long you plan to keep the car, the warranty could be good insurance.

The Ford ESP is a good program - we called, dropped the car off, got a loaner, and picked the car up a couple of days later for $100 deductible long after the 36,000 mile warranty was done on her Focus. When it got close to 100,000 miles we took it in and said "here's a list of things that need to be taken care of" - drove off with the loaner and picked the car up later that week.

For my Mustang - didn't really have much that had to be taken care of. Did the head gaskets once, under the extended warranty but that was all. On my Explorer that I had before the Mustang, I replaced the rear end twice and rebuilt it once and it was all under warranty.

So for us the warranty was worth it for the Explorer and the Focus. For the Mustang, we probably broke even with the cost of replacing the head gaskets against the cost of the Ford ESP - but the mods were on before the warranty fully expired so some would not have been covered (got lucky on the head gaskets, had all the nitrous plumbing done but no wiring and hadn't tapped the intake yet so they made sure to take care of it before the nitrous was done).
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Good point on the mileage.
Yours is a good reason that I can think of why an ESP is actually worth it.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?