Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Got my windows tinted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Got my windows tinted!

well, i made my first adjustment to my 2012 v6 mustang. im waiting for the tax returns to do something more substantial.

i tinted my windows, and had the car detailed while they were at it. pretty good deal.. i had ziebart do it. they had a deal going with their exterior detailing service so i took that, and the window tinting was on sale for $189. i could have had them add their "Diamond Gloss" product, but it was $380, which was apparently a hundred bucks off. just so you all know, they offered the Diamond Gloss detailing service for that price, with a free interior detailing. then you could come back a year later and get diamond gloss re-applied, and interior detailing for free... so 2 years for $380... i didn't want to spend that much money so i passed. just so you all know.. well here's pictures of what i got so far:

this is the before (including my dog looking out the front window on my house):

and all the rest of these are the windows after (windshield was NOT tinted, the rest were):

i thought they did a pretty nice job. anyone think i should go ahead and tint the front windshield or leave it be?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

What percent did you get done?
The tint looks good, but it almost looks like they didn't get all the wax off? I don't know it might just be the picture.

Anyway, tint is by far one of the best mods that can be done.
An eyebrow on the windshield would look good, IMO.
And it is great for driving, it blocks a LOT of the sun, then again I'm 5' 2" so the sun visor doesn't do a whole lot for me.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

it's a 20% tint.
and sharp eye on on that wax! they did leave just a tad on the car, but i didn't give them much time. i dropped the car off at 11:30am and they tinted and detailed the car by 3pm when they closed.

when i went back and saw the pictures i noticed the wax as well. so the next day i took a microfiber cloth to it for about 30 seconds to a minute and now everything is perfect. all-in-all i was very pleased with the job they did and will most likely take it there once a year for detailing.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

oh, and yeah im thinking about the eyebrow on the windshield as well. im worried that if i tint the whole windshield it'll look too "thuggish". i live in a really quiet area and cops have nothing better to do than pull over random cars for looking stereotypically thuggish. 20% is below the limit. i'll think it over for a bit haha.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Ha I'm glad you got it taken care of.
I would really think about doing the whole windshield.
Cops may cut you a break on the side windows, but the windshield may be cutting it.
What percentage where you thinking about on the front?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Pretty sure that would be illegal in CA....then again, I don't like tint, cause I'd like that hippie in his Prius to see me flipping him off in the fast lane!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Pretty sure that would be illegal in CA....then again, I don't like tint, cause I'd like that hippie in his Prius to see me flipping him off in the fast lane!!!
haha, this made me audibly laugh at work haha. and 20% is illegal in ohio, but cops mostly don't care about tinted windows. they usually talk to you about it when you get pulled over for speeding.. because most of them have tinted windows above the limit as well haha.

tanner, i really don't know what i want on the front windshield. the 20% tint is really easy to see through, but at night this could pose a serious issue. so maybe 35% or 50% even? im not sure. the guy i worked with at ziebart had his range rover all tinted and he was very helpful in deciding. i'll probably talk things through with him again before tinting the windshield.

what do you all advise on the front windshield? is it overly difficult to see at night/anything i should be concerned about?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

If you get windshield tint I would recommend the airblue films from llumar. They are a high percentage (like 50-70% I believe) but they are a special variety of film that allows for clear visibility but blocks UV, has heat rejection, and anti-glare.

Pretty cool, and they do the job of tint minus the visibility obstruction. I didn't get it (very illegal in Indiana to have anything below the AS1 line) but I saw it on a benz E class and it seemed to work amazingly.

Car looks great btw! You should look into rims as your next mod, or maybe plastidip the current ones you have.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Actually it is illegal to tint the windshield in all states. From what I heard after talking to a few shops, if you get in the wreck that is even not your fault, the insurance is liable to make you pay your own repairs as they will think tint on the front windshield is hindering the ability to clearly view the road (makes sense in a way).

OP car looks great btw!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
If you get windshield tint I would recommend the airblue films from llumar. They are a high percentage (like 50-70% I believe) but they are a special variety of film that allows for clear visibility but blocks UV, has heat rejection, and anti-glare.

Pretty cool, and they do the job of tint minus the visibility obstruction. I didn't get it (very illegal in Indiana to have anything below the AS1 line) but I saw it on a benz E class and it seemed to work amazingly.

Car looks great btw! You should look into rims as your next mod, or maybe plastidip the current ones you have.
thanks for the tips everyone, especially the one about insurance.. that certainly made me rethink a full windshield tint.

aaquib, RIMS are definitely on deck! following tax returns I want to get a CAI and a tune in this thing, but after that i'll save up and hopefully get these RIMS during the summer:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackg...0509-stag.html

i've been warned about doing staggered tires, but i just love the look. people say you'll run through money like crazy because you can't rotate tires, but i feel like i'll just have to buy new tires every several years.. doesn't seem too hateful..

Quick Reply: Got my windows tinted!