Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 AM
SonicMustang66

Exclamation Cold air intake decision

Hey new to this forum any advice is appreciated. I have a 2005 mustang gt, pretty stock minus the JBA axle backs. I have a few extra bucks and want to invest in a CAI. I've been looking at K&N, BBK, Roush, and Airaid. I don't know much about any of these, does anyone have or know anything about these..?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

remember that most CAI's will require a tune, if it doesnt require a tune it probably wont do much for ya
Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Goto americanmuscle.com like everyone else on the forums does and get a tuner/CAI package. It costs extra bucks but you'll get really good quality, great tune, and good customer service. And you WILL feel a difference. Not knocking Airaid or K&N but BBK and Roush are good and you'll find other really good products like C&W, etc...on AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Airaid is actually the company that makes the Roush CAI, just more expensive due to the Roush name. I have the Airaid CAI on my Sixxer and did NOT experience any code or sensor issues, before installing my custom tunes.
Without a custom tune, the performance gain is minimal, maybe (5-7) HP increase in the upper RPM range. The HP gain maybe a bit higher for a GT, but not sure? The performace gain mostly comes from my custom Brenspeed tunes! If you purchase any CAI w/out a custom tune, do not expect a huge performance difference.
C&L and JLT are also popular CAI's, and a custom tune is REQUIRED.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 01-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

I did a lot of research before I got mine. I was about to order the Steeda package from AM but they didn't carry those any more. Then I ended up went with brenspeed for Steeda CAI and a tune. It's a huge different.
The tune alone will make a big different already. Like some other members said, a CAI with out tune won't that much. If were are going to pick a CAI with out a tune, I woud suggest to get a tune before that.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I went with Steeda and a tune also. Got mine from AM. They carried them at the time. Very happy with it.

I installed my CAI and drove it without tune. Nothing! Same car. Then came back and loaded tune....Hello!! There it is! The tune, as with most mods, is everything.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
I went with Steeda and a tune also. Got mine from AM. They carried them at the time. Very happy with it.

I installed my CAI and drove it without tune. Nothing! Same car. Then came back and loaded tune....Hello!! There it is! The tune, as with most mods, is everything.
+1.
btw, The Steeda one comes with a heat shield which makes it look better.. I love those.

Last edited by Rainson; 01-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

JLT CAI + Tune = different car + neat intake whistle (and little more of a 'vortex' sound under the hood then the normal engine running noise when getting into WOT).

A cai is a cai, as long as it's made well they are all going to be very close on the baseline increases they give, all they are doing (and that's all of them) is allowing the car to breathe more. A Tune will bring out the best of it of course. A Tune w/o the CAI will still give you more gains and better ECU mappings for shiftpoints/fuel ignition than a CAI on it's own, by far.

I did find it wierd I had to drill a hole in my JLT tube for the auto feed into it (directions step you through this even..) - but hey that's what modding is about!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

I have the BBK and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

JLT CAI and Brenspeed tune was a HUGE increase in power for my 05 GT when I had it.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake decision