Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend (ZL1 vs Boss302 Laguna Seca)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I don't care how they are comparing it the bottom line is you can't compare 580hp with 444hp, congrats on a car that is blown and has 1.2 liters more engine displacement out performing a NA motor.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Hmmm....looks like well have to wait until the 2014 Mustang comes out and hopefully it will have a better suspension/tire set-up. I agree with the article, the mustang lags behind in the suspension department. The current GT500 is slower around the track then the LS Boss and the ZL1 beat it but, the 2013 GT500 will have 650hp but, the same suspension problems and traction issues. Will the 650hp be enough to beat the ZL1 or will we have to wait until 2014 for the Mustang to be back on top? I prefer quater mile anyways, the mustang should still be king when 650hp GT500 rolls out.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wayno

Ford is not behind in IRS. They did it before Cheby with the Cobra many years ago..... NOBODY WANTED IT! So Ford did away with it.
I remember the IRS in the New Edge Terminator Cobras. That IRS sucked *****, not stout enough for the power that a Cobra was putting out at that time. And that is why it was not carried forth. It added more weight to the car and there were way too many compromises in that IRS design.

Its not that IRS is a failure every single time, it was just that specific IRS was a failure because it could have been designed better. And possible because of corporate decision on budgeting for R&D or retooling or whatever could also be to blame if there were better designs up on the board.

Right now, FoMoCo is actually considering IRS for the next generation of Mustang, whatever the new chassis will be called, the S-XXX or SN-XX (maybe SN-50 for 50 yr anniversary?). Several Ford engineers were interviewed and at least one of them gave kind of a teaser saying that IRS is a chassis design being considered. But whether the 50th anniversary Mustang chassis will indeed have it is yet to be known. Hell, the final chassis and body stylings have not yet been released so only time will tell unless Ford actually releases info now or a credible leak is spilled to the public.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
theviking

The current GT500 is slower around the track then the LS Boss
Not according to Inside Line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwK-knAv5E

Need to take all this with a grain of salt. PreProduction Camaro vs a well worn Mustang test car (questionable brakes). Plus much wider, softer and probably newer rubber.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=JIM5.0;7810962]I remember the IRS in the New Edge Terminator Cobras. That IRS sucked *****, not stout enough for the power that a Cobra was putting out at that time. And that is why it was not carried forth. It added more weight to the car and there were way too many compromises in that IRS design.

If chevy(vette & camaro) could build a durable IRS then Ford should be able to do the same. I don't think Ford wants to invest the money, why else wouldn't the Mustang have a IRS suspension. I prefer the solid rear axle, it will always be stronger then a IRS set-up.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
JimC

[QUOTE=daredevil95;7811737]
Originally Posted by JIM5.0
If chevy(vette & camaro) could build a durable IRS then Ford should be able to do the same. I don't think Ford wants to invest the money, why else wouldn't the Mustang have a IRS suspension. I prefer the solid rear axle, it will always be stronger then a IRS set-up.
I'm sure that Ford can build it, but I think you answered your own question:

I prefer the solid rear axle, it will always be stronger then a IRS set-up.
Ford knows that most of us are drag strip type and are looking for strong straight line performance first.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

The 2005 platform's missing the chance for a well designed IRS was right on the edge when the Chassis was being redesigned in 2003 and 04 for the 05'. It was a cost only decision, not that there wasn't a good design or reason.

If the entire Mustang line is held hostage again with a live axel for the 2015 line, Ford will be clearly living in the past and producing their cars for a select group of straight line enthusiasts again. How many more young perspective Mustang buyers 2 and 3 years from now will be OK with a live axel, even though the 05" has been made fun of in the media since it's first day of release in summer 2004 for this issue.. Erik
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
... How many more young perspective Mustang buyers 2 and 3 years from now will be OK with a live axel, even though the 05" has been made fun of in the media since it's first day of release in summer 2004 for this issue.. Erik

Remember that the same media has been trying to convince women around the world that this dbag is the sexiest man around too.

Anything the media says I immediately think is a lie. Look at it from another perspective. Chevy spent how much with their fancy pants suspension and it only beat the trackable stang by how much? Geez, doesnt seem like that difference in money is worth it to me. All things considered, I think the live axle has done pretty well.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Some days I feel like this forum loves living in history so much more than actually innovating going forward.

IMO accepting what already IS, as the best option possible, is the way to fall behind buying trends and technology.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Would this have made a difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_mH1euXrk

Quick Reply: Motor Trend (ZL1 vs Boss302 Laguna Seca)