Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use their stang for drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I've drifted some corners and played around with the ebrake in parking lots, but generally the stang isn't a drifting car. You can definitely set it up for it though, and I'd bet it could be competitive.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 AM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Obviously not mine but the car is kinda stock except the blower and frpp stuff
http://youtu.be/-67GXNxzyJU?t=32s
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
I've drifted some corners and played around with the ebrake in parking lots, but generally the v6 auto stang isn't a drifting car. You can definitely set it up for it though, and I'd bet it could be competitive.
Fixed :P
In order to drift you need some power, surely a stock GT could drift but it seems like it'd be a struggle. I couldnt imagine my roommates auto v6 drifting. Ive heard drifters say once you hit 300whp, you're good to go

I know with a blower and having stock suspension (like I do), I can get sideways really freakin easy in 1st or 2nd. FUN AS HELL. Scary as hell too Its a lot different than straight line acceleration.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

HP isn't really what is 'needed' for drifting...it's Torque. I can drift my F350 like a PRO and it's only pushing like 320hp at the wheels.....but around 750ft/lbs!!! Nothing is more awesome than taking an 8000lb truck and performing a perfectly controled drift through an intersection and seeing the faces of the sheep going to/from work. Especially when it's a little wet out.

Why is the truck so easy? B/c it's a CC/LB/4WD/6spd Man. Comparitivly there is NO weight on the rear tires and b/c of the length, it's VERY easy to feel and control. The Stang is pretty difficult for me to control while playing around other than powersliding...and I really haven't TRIED to drift it since it's my DD and brand new.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I've got a CAI and a tune and the throttle is very responsive, also, steeda sport springs, koni str.t dampers, LCA's, UCA, panhard... Was thinkin cam package soon.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
cbc24

I dont got a stang but im learning to drift , hence why i bought a 180sx lol Too learn on, Ive noticed the stangs like too spin out an not maintain a drift, also bc v8 drifting is durasticly easier, the power coming from the bottom / middle end, with a little 4banger its more work but it teaches you alot more aswell.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Not professionally, but I drift it all the time by accident. Drift racing is just plain stupid IMO. Fast and the furious BS at it's finest.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Not professionally, but I drift it all the time by accident. Drift racing is just plain stupid IMO. Fast and the furious BS at it's finest.
I appreciate it from a talent perspective, but there are much faster ways to go around a course. Sometimes though, getting squirly is just plain fun, even if a bit slower. That said, I wouldn't want to do it around an entire track.

OP, go for it and get that experience. It'll help you better know what to do when things accidentally get away from you.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Never done it myself but it's pretty big in NM and the SW in general where I'm from and there are lots of Mustangs that do it. One in particular who is pretty famous out of there is Jim Guthrie (the guy who you probably all saw on youtube flip his Mustang in Vegas during competition no too long ago).

That other pretty popular video of the "cop car" cobra chasing the bikes and drifting is also out of NM. I know those cats, and have seen it quite a bit. Takes a lot of skill and impressive to watch.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I appreciate it from a talent perspective, but there are much faster ways to go around a course. Sometimes though, getting squirly is just plain fun, even if a bit slower. That said, I wouldn't want to do it around an entire track.

OP, go for it and get that experience. It'll help you better know what to do when things accidentally get away from you.
It makes for great youtube videos, but a form of professional racing, not so much.

Quick Reply: Anyone use their stang for drifting?